|Birth name||Alistair Chant|
|Occupation(s)||Producer, Engineer, Mixer, Musician, Writer|
|Associated acts||Actual Size, The Termites,|
Ali Chant is an English record producer, sound engineer, guitarist, composer, and instrumentalist originally from London and currently based in Bristol, UK.  Chant began his career as a guitarist and songwriter for Bristol-based band Actual Size, who were signed to Gut records in 2001.  The band went on to build their own recording studio, Toybox Studios, in Bristol, UK in 2003.  Chant made his name as a producer and mixer after working as a sound engineer for producers like John Parish, Adrian Utley and Tim Friese-Greene. Chant is renowned for his use of analogue equipment in his work as a sound engineer. Most notably, Chant has collaborated with the artists PJ Harvey (White Chalk), Gordi (Reservoir), Perfume Genius (Too Bright), Algiers (The Underside of Power), Youth Lagoon (Savage Hills Ballroom), Laura Jean (self-titled), Jenny Hval (Innocence is Kinky), Tom Brosseau (Cavaliers), and Gruff Rhys (American Interior). Chant has also worked as composer, mixer and music supervisor for film, television, and computer game soundtracks. 
Actual Size and Other Bands[edit | edit source]
Chant started his career as a founding member of Actual Size, a Bristol band signed to Gut Records in 2001 best-known for their 2002 EP Weights and Measures . Chant’s main instruments are guitar, bass, vocals, percussion and keyboards. In 2003, Chant began playing guitar with the Termites, another Bristol Band. He also occasionally plays with Adrian Utley’s guitar orchestra, and appears frequently as a musician on various other projects.
Toybox Studios[edit | edit source]
Chant founded Toybox Studios in a vaulted Georgian basement in the St. Paul's district of Bristol in 2003. Toybox Studios was a popular independent studio until its closing in 2016. Prominent artists recorded at Toybox PJ Harvey, Mark Ronson, KT Tunstall, Gruff Rhys, Perfume Genius, Youth Lagoon, M Ward, Gravenhurst, and Giant Sand.
Selected Production Work[edit | edit source]
- 2017 - This Is The Kit - Moonshine Freeze
- 2017 - Algiers - 'The Underside of Power'
- 2017 - Gordi - Reservoir
- 2016 - Rhain - 'Oscar November Echo'
- 2016 - Cameron AG - "Forthcoming Album"
- 2015 - Youth Lagoon - 'Savage Hills Ballroom'
- 2015 - Lontalius - 'I'll Forget 17'
- 2014 - Gruff Rhys - 'American Interior'
- 2014 - Perfume Genius - 'Too Bright'
- 2013 - Euros Childs - ‘Forthcoming Album’
- 2013 - H. Hawkline – ‘Ghoules E.P.’
- 2012- H. Hawkline – ‘Black Domino Box E.P.’
- 2011- Gruff Rhys – ‘Atheist Xmas EP’
- 2011- Perfume Genius- ‘Put Your Back N 2 It’
- 2010- Cercueil – ’Erostrate’
- 2008- Kid Carpet -‘Casio Royale’
- 2006- Rosqo - ‘No Stone Left Unturned’ album
- 2005- Gravenhurst - ‘Fires in Distant Buildings’
- 2005- Shooting at Unarmed Men - ‘Debut Album’
- 2005- Kid Carpet - ‘Ideas and Oh Dears’
- 2005- Mississippi Witch - ‘Black Gamble’
- 2004- The Dirty – ‘album tracks’
- 2003- Big Joan - ‘Insects & Engines’
- 2002- Actual Size - Weights & Measures EP
Selected Engineering Work[edit | edit source]
- White Chalk PJ Harvey
- "Oh Boy" She & Him
- Forthcoming Jenny Hval
- Old Child The Kills & Dionysos
- Live Portishead
- Shaken Maggie Björklund
- Little Sand Box Howe Gelb
- A Wasteland Companion M. Ward
- Alegrías Band of Gypsies/Howe Gelb
- Once Upon A Little Time John Parish
- "Party" Aldous Harding
Film & Television Work[edit | edit source]
- 2011- ‘Aardman Tate Movie Project’- Music Supervisor/Mixer (BAFTA Award Winner 2011)
- 2010- ‘Collaborator’- Feature Film- music engineer/mixer
- 2009- ‘She, a Chinese’ Feature film- music engineer/mixer/editor
- 2008- ‘The Frome,’ – Short film- Composer (runner up prize at Wildscreen festival)
- 2008- ‘Nowhere Man’- Feature film- music mixer/ editor.
- 2006- ‘Waltz’- TV series- music mixer/editor.
- 2005- ‘Tea Break’ – Short film – Sound designer/mixer
- 2004- ‘Pool Shark’ Short film – Sound designer/mixer
- 2000- ‘Aardman’ – Various TV series and commercials – sound editor/mixer
- 1999- ‘Chicken Run’ – Aardman, Foley editor
- 1999- ‘Millenium Dome/Ovo’ – sound effects editor for Pete Gabriel
- 1997- ‘Human Traffic’ – feature film, sound recordist
References[edit | edit source]
- "Ali Chant". BBC Music. BBC. Retrieved 19 April 2017.
- Parish, John. "A Conversation with Alistair Chant of Toybox Studios". TapeOp. TapeOp. Retrieved 19 April 2017.
- "Toybox Studios - Bristol Recording Studio Feature". Record Production. Retrieved 19 April 2017.
- Johnson, Marc. "Toybox Studios: Ali Chant Interview". DV Magazine. Retrieved 19 April 2017.
- Sosnick, Mike. "Youth Lagoon, "The Knower": The Intimacy of Youth Lagoon with the Grandeur of Horns". Impose Magazine. Retrieved 26 April 2017.
This article "Ali Chant" is from Wikipedia. The list of its authors can be seen in its historical and/or its subpage Ali Chant/edithistory. Articles copied from Draft Namespace on Wikipedia could be seen on the Draft Namespace of Wikipedia and not main one.