Alice Cooper Bailey
Alice Cooper Bailey (December 9, 1890 – February 1, 1978) was a writer of children's books and articles for periodicals. She is best known for the books Katrina and Jan and Kimo.
Early life and education[edit | edit source]
Bailey was born on December 9, 1890 in San Diego, California, daughter of Henry Ernest Cooper and Mary Ellen, née Porter. Her family moved to Honolulu, Hawaii, when she was a baby. She attended Wellesley College, Oahu College, the University of Hawaii, the Boston Music Conservatory, and received a lifetime teaching diploma from the Honolulu Normal School.
Career[edit | edit source]
Bailey published seven books. Unpublished works included a children's history of Hawaii, to be called The Flying Umbrella, and the story of her father, a former judge, minister of Foreign Affairs, and first Secretary of the Territory of Hawaii. She wrote short stories and articles for periodicals, including American Girl, Child Life, Story Parade, and Travel.
She was a member of the Boston Authors Club.
Personal life[edit | edit source]
Bailey married George William Bailey in 1913, and had three children. She later separated from her husband, and lived in Weston, Massachusetts. She died in Concord, Massachusetts, on 1 February 1978.
Selected works[edit | edit source]
- Bailey, Alice Cooper, and Herman Rosse. Katrina and Jan. New York: P. F. Volland, 1923. OCLC 4726829
- Bailey, Alice Cooper. The Skating Gander. New York: Wise-Parslow Co, 1927. OCLC 2437943
- Bailey, Alice Cooper, and Lucille Webster Holling. Kimo. New York, N.Y.: Wise-Parslow, 1928. OCLC 3773422
- Bailey, Alice Cooper, Loretta Phillips, and Prentice Phillips. Sun Gold: A Story of the Hawaiian Islands. Boston: Houghton Mifflin Co, 1930. OCLC 16341752
- Bailey, Alice Cooper. Footprints in the Dust. New York: Longmans, Green, 1936. OCLC 11819843
- Bailey, Alice Cooper, and Yukio Tashiro. The Hawaiian Box Mystery. New York: David McKay Co, 1962. OCLC 38865767
- Bailey, Alice Cooper. To Remember Robert Louis Stevenson. New York: McKay, 1966. OCLC 1051684
References[edit | edit source]
Others articles of the Topic Children's literature : Transformers: Rescue Bots (toyline), Stan Lee (Judge Dredd), Lisa Suhay, Greg R. Fishbone, Vox (Stewart and Riddell novel), Satyajit Ray, Kjartan Poskitt
Some use of "" in your query was not closed by a matching "".Some use of "" in your query was not closed by a matching "".
- "USM de Grummond Collection's ALICE COOPER BAILEY PAPERS". www.lib.usm.edu.
- Commire, Anne (1977). Something About the Author: Facts and Pictures About Contemporary Authors and Illustrators of Books for Young People, Volume 12. Gale / Cengage Learning. p. 22. ISBN 9780810300729.
- Hilleary, Perry Edward; Judd, Henry Pratt (1954). Men and women of Hawaii, 1954: a biographical encyclopedia of persons of notable achievement, an historical account of the peoples who have distinguished themselves through personal success and through public service. Honolulu Business Consultants. p. 45.
- Warren, Grace Tower (25 January 1952). "Realism of Children's Stories Lamented by Writer of Fantasy". Honolulu Star-Bulletin. p. 11. Retrieved 16 December 2018.
- Matsuura, Patsy (3 April 1955). "Writer to Leave for Mainland". The Honolulu Advertiser. p. D7. Retrieved 16 December 2018.
- Flagg, Mildred Buchanan (1965). Notable Boston authors: members of the Boston Authors Club, 1900-1966. Dresser, Chapman & Grimes. p. 32.
- "Richard Bailey of Kamaaina Family Married in East". Honolulu Star-Bulletin. 25 July 1950. p. 11. Retrieved 16 December 2018.
- "Deaths". The Boston Globe. 3 February 1978. Retrieved 16 December 2018.
- "For Juvenile Readers". The Evening Sun. Baltimore, Maryland. 19 May 1928. p. 6. Retrieved 16 December 2018.
- "Interesting Information Concerning Books, Their Authors and Publishers - Notes On Juveniles". The Los Angeles Times. 23 December 1923. p. III-33. Retrieved 16 December 2018.
- Aikman, Duncan (8 January 1928). "Book News". El Paso Times. El Paso, Texas. p. 4.
- Judson, Minerva (16 December 1928). "Best Books of Year Make Fine Gifts for Christmas". Oakland Tribune. Oakland, California. p. 8-S. Retrieved 16 December 2018.
- "Books Our Members Like". Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. 7 February 1931. p. 26. Retrieved 16 December 2018.
- Barton, Olive Roberts (10 March 1937). "A Book A Day". Shamokin News-Dispatch. Shamokin, Pennsylvania. p. 4. Retrieved 16 December 2018.
- Dostal, Frank (29 May 1960). "Rx for a Rainy Day - Mysteries". Democrat and Chronicle. Rochester, New York. p. 16GH. Retrieved 16 December 2018.
- "THE HAWAIIAN BOX MYSTERY". Kirkus Reviews. 1 March 1960. Retrieved 16 December 2018.
- "THE HAWAIIAN BOX MYSTERY". Kirkus Reviews. 9 March 1960. Retrieved 16 December 2018.
- "New Titles for Children and Young People" (PDF). Bulletin of the Center for Children's Books. The University of Chicago Press. XIII (9): 141. May 1960. Retrieved 16 December 2018.
- Dostal, Frank (17 April 1966). "New Youthful Reading For Library Week". Democrat and Chronicle. Rochester, New York. p. 14W. Retrieved 16 December 2018.
This article "Alice Cooper Bailey" is from Wikipedia. The list of its authors can be seen in its historical and/or the page Edithistory:Alice Cooper Bailey. Articles copied from Draft Namespace on Wikipedia could be seen on the Draft Namespace of Wikipedia and not main one.