Allan Figueroa Deck
Allen Figueroa Deck
|Alma mater||Gregorian University, St. Louis University|
|Organization||Society of Jesus|
Rev. Allan Figueroa Deck, S.J, Ph.D. (born 1945) is currently the Distinguished Scholar of Pastoral Theology and Latino Studies at Loyola Marymount University where he also serves as Rector of the Jesuit Community. He earned doctorates in Theology at the Gregorian University and in Latin American Studies at Saint Louis University. He is the author or editor of nine books and more than sixty articles and chapters on Pastoral Theology, Latino Theology, Faith and Culture, Intercultural Competence, Catholic Social Teaching, and Spirituality.
Entering the Society of Jesus in 1963 and ordained to the priesthood in 1976, as a young priest he served as administrator of Our Lady of Guadalupe Church (Delhi) in Santa Ana and as first Director of Hispanic Ministry for the Diocese of Orange. In 1988 Rev. Deck founded the Instituto Hispano of the Jesuit School of Theology at Santa Clara University, and served as its first executive director. He also co-founded and served as first president of the Academy of Catholic Hispanic Theologians of the United Staes.
In the 1990's he worked to help launch the National Catholic Council for Hispanic Ministry, and founded in 1997 the Loyola Institute for Spirituality in Orange, California, serving as executive director from 1997-2008.
In 2008 he oversaw the development of the U.S Conference of Catholic Bishop's Secretariat of Cultural Diversity in the Church, serving as the first executive director from 2008 to 2012.
Rev. Deck was the speaker at the 2008 and 2009 Religious Brothers Conference.
In addition to these many projects and responsibilities, Rev. Deck has served on the boards of directors for the Jesuit School of Theology at Santa Clara University, for the Center for Applied Research in the Apostolate at Georgetown University, for Homeboy Industries, and for Verbum Dei High School in Los Angeles.
Awards[edit | edit source]
Rev. Deck has been the recipient of the following awards.
- O’Grady Award of Catholic Charities USA for best article on Catholic social teaching (1978)
- Catholic Press Association Award for The Second Wave: Hispanic Ministry and the Evangelization of Cultures (1989)
- Virgilio Elizondo Award of the Academy of Catholic Hispanic Theologians of the United States (1992)
- Aggiornamento Award of the Catholic Library Association (2009)
Selected Authored Publications[edit | edit source]
- Populorum Progressio: Fifty Years Later in the Age of Pope Francis. Journal of Catholic Social Thought; Summer 2017, Vol. 14 Issue 2, p189-203.
- Francis, Bishop of Rome: The Gospel for the Third Millennium. Paulist Press 2016. ISBN 978-08091-0622-6
- The treasure of Guadalupe / edited by Virgilio Elizondo, Allan Figueroa Deck, and Timothy Matovina. Rowman & Littlefield Publishers 2006. ISBN 9780742548565
- The Second Wave: Hispanic Ministry and the Evangelization of Cultures. Paulist Press 1989. ISBN 978-0809130429
References[edit | edit source]
- "Deck, Allan Figueroa - Dictionary definition of Deck, Allan Figueroa | Encyclopedia.com: FREE online dictionary". www.encyclopedia.com. Retrieved 2018-05-11.
- University, Loyola Marymount. "Fr. Allan Deck, S.J. - Loyola Marymount University". mission.lmu.edu. Retrieved 2018-05-11.
- "Fr. Figueroa Deck says the Latino Catholic 'sleeping giant' is awakening". National Catholic Reporter. 2018-03-08. Retrieved 2018-05-11.
This article "Allan Figueroa Deck" is from Wikipedia. The list of its authors can be seen in its historical and/or the page Edithistory:Allan Figueroa Deck. Articles copied from Draft Namespace on Wikipedia could be seen on the Draft Namespace of Wikipedia and not main one.