Alternative Whiskey Aging
Alternatively Aged Whiskey is an unofficial class of whiskey which is processed using any technology that replaces traditional barrel aging. Variations include adjustments to the barrel to increase speed, processes that are used either before or after traditional barrel aging, and processes that use oak or other wood in a form other than a barrel or container. In its simplest form, various geometries of wood are added to the distillate for a period of time. More complex methods use a variety of physical phenomena to affect the flavor of the final product.
Technologies[edit | edit source]
- Lost Spirits - The distillate is heated with a bag of oak pieces which have been pre-treated. The liquid and oak are then exposed to high-intensity light, and then heated again. The process takes several days.
- Terressentia TerrePure - Ultrasonic waves are pumped through the distillate. The process takes 24 hours plus a resting period of 7 to 10 days.
- Cleveland Whiskey Pressure Aging - Oak or other wood and distillate are subjected to cycling pressure and vacuum, and oxygenated. The process takes 24 hours.
Notable Brands[edit | edit source]
|Name||Technology||Aproximate Barrel Aging Time||Approximate Alternative Process Time||Proof||Location|
|Lost Spirits Abomination, The Sayers of the Law||Lost Spirits||18 months||6 days||108||Los Angeles, CA|
|Lost Spirits Abomination, The Crying of the Puma||Lost Spirits||18 months||6 days||108||Los Angeles, CA|
|Cleveland Black Reserve||Pressure aging||3 months||1 day||100||Cleveland, OH|
|Cleveland Underground Bourbon Finished with Hickory Wood||Pressure aging||3 months||1 day||94||Cleveland, OH|
|Cleveland Underground Bourbon Finished with Apple Wood||Pressure aging||3 months||1 day||90||Cleveland, OH|
|O.Z. Tyler Bourbon||TerrePURE||12 months||1 day||90||Owensboro, KY|
|O.Z. Tyler Rye||TerrePURE||6 months||1 day||89.8||Owensboro, KY|
|Highspire Whiskey||Unknown||months||Unknown||80||Paso Robles, CA|
Notes[edit | edit source]
- Goldfarb, Alan (August 23, 2018). "The Pivot To Whiskey". The Verge. Vox Media. Retrieved August 23, 2018.
References[edit | edit source]
- Skiver Barton, Susannah (Spring 2018). "Cracking the Aging Code". Whisky Advocate. Boone, IA: Whisky Advocate. Retrieved June 1, 2018.
This article "Alternative Whiskey Aging" is from Wikipedia. The list of its authors can be seen in its historical and/or its subpage Alternative Whiskey Aging/edithistory. Articles copied from Draft Namespace on Wikipedia could be seen on the Draft Namespace of Wikipedia and not main one.