Andrew White (Texas Politician)
|Democratic candidate nominee for|
Governor of Texas
Runoff: May 22, 2018
|Incumbent||Greg Abbott (R)|
|Father||Gov. Mark White|
|Awards||Houston Harvey Hero|
- 1 Biography
- 2 Business Career
- 3 Non Profit Positions
- 4 Hurricane Harvey
- 5 2018 Texas gubernatorial election
- 6 References
- 7 Per the previous rejection, White has advanced to the Democratic Runoff, so re-submitting this. White has also won the Houston Hero award from the City of Houston since last submission.
Biography[edit | edit source]
Andrew White graduated from Lamar High School in Houston in 1991. White earned a bachelor's degree in religious studies from University of Virginia in 1994 and a master's degree in business administration from University of Texas in 2003.
Business Career[edit | edit source]
In 1996 White and his father founded Geovox Security to commercialize heart detection technology from the Oak Ridge National Laboratory. In 2000 White co-founded Home Solutions of America. In 2005 White founded Allied Warranty and Lone Star Repair, which provide home warranty coverage to Texans. Both were acquired by NRG Energy in 2012 for an undisclosed sum. In 2010 White founded Sweat Equity Partners, an entrepreneur-led group of companies.
Non Profit Positions[edit | edit source]
White is the President of the White Family Foundation. White is an elder in the Presbyterian Church in America. In 2012 White was named Chairman of the River Oaks Baptist School capital campaign. In 2014 White co-chaired the Communities In Schools 35th anniversary celebration. In 2017 White was appointed to the Development Board of University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston.
Hurricane Harvey[edit | edit source]
Andrew White was part of the ad-hoc citizen group known as the Texas Navy, attracting widespread media attention, while rescuing Houstonians during Hurricane Harvey. White was honored as one of five "Houston Harvey Heroes" by the Houston City Council for his rescue work.
2018 Texas gubernatorial election[edit | edit source]
White announced his candidacy for the 2018 Texas Gubernatorial Election on December 7th, 2017, and is considered one of the two frontrunner candidates in the race. White has been endorsed by the Dallas Morning News, The Houston Chronicle, San Antonio Express-News, The Daily Texan, and the GLBT Political Caucus. On March 6th, 2018 White advanced to the Democratic runoff with Lupe Valdez scheduled for May 22, 2018.
References[edit | edit source]
- Vertuno, Jim (6 August 2017). "Mark White, Texas governor in the 1980s, dies at 77" – via www.washingtonpost.com.
- "Bio". Andrew White.
- Strauss, Stephen. "Detecting Stowaways".
- "White: We need leaders who do right, risk consequences".
- "Andrew White - Home".
- "Running for governor, Andrew White steps back into his father's shadow".
- "Andrew White's latest big bet: Top 8 other Democratic contenders to challenge GOP Gov. Greg Abbott". 16 February 2018.
- "White Family Foundation in Houston, Texas (TX) - NonProfitFacts.com". www.nonprofitfacts.com.
- "Grantmakers.io Profile - WHITE FAMILY FOUNDATION CO ROBERT ANDREW WHITE PRESIDENT". www.grantmakers.io.
- Presbyterian Church in America
- "Houston Texans star steals the show, urging kids to stay in school as the city's power elite watches".
- "UTHealth welcomes new members to its Development Board". www.uth.edu.
- "Flood Of 'Texas Navy' Private Citizens Help In Houston Rescue Efforts".
- "'Texas Navy' Answers The Call In Houston". www.wbur.org.
- "Voices from the Storm". 20 September 2017.
- "Harrowing Images from One Houston Man's Mission to Save Hurricane Harvey Flooding Victims". 2 September 2017.
- "CNN.com - Transcripts". transcripts.cnn.com.
- "Andrew White announces as Democrat for governor".
- "Houston Democrat Andrew White, son of former Gov. Mark White, announces run for state's top job". 7 December 2017.
- "Andrew White seeks to challenge Abbott as conservative Democrat".
- "2 Frontrunners Emerge In Democratic Primary For Texas Governor". 11 December 2017.
- "Andrew White, Greg Abbott each raise $1.1M; White put in $1 million himself".
- "We recommend Andrew White in the Democratic primary for Texas Governor". 4 February 2018.
- "For governor".
- "Abbott and White in governor's races".
- Schneider, Andrew (7 February 2018). "Andrew White Gains Momentum In Quest For Democratic Nomination For Governor - Houston Public Media".
- Svitek, Patrick (6 March 2018). "Valdez, White headed to runoff in Democratic gubernatorial primary". The Texas Tribune. Retrieved 12 March 2018.
Per the previous rejection, White has advanced to the Democratic Runoff, so re-submitting this. White has also won the Houston Hero award from the City of Houston since last submission.[edit | edit source]
This article "Andrew White (Texas Politician)" is from Wikipedia. The list of its authors can be seen in its historical and/or the page Edithistory:Andrew White (Texas Politician). Articles copied from Draft Namespace on Wikipedia could be seen on the Draft Namespace of Wikipedia and not main one.