11 October 1942|
|Occupation||photographer, writer, journalist|
Biography and Studies[edit | edit source]
Classical studies at high school in Arezzo. Degree in modern literature in 1965 (University of Milan and Florence) specialising in philology with Gianfranco Contini and Bruno Migliorini. During his studies he collaborated as crime reporter for the Florentine daily paper “La Nazione”.
This was followed by seven years of studies in sociology and political science in Milan ( CESES, with Renato Mieli and Giorgio Galli); in Florence with Giovanni Sartori; in Bologna with Gianfranco Pasquino.
In 1971, after a long period spent in Cuba, he published the essay “Cuba the end of a myth”, with a preface by Arrigo Levi, about Castro’s political system, compared with the systems in China and Italy. This text has been adopted in some American and Italian universities.
After 1973 he began a long series of reports from all over the world, which till now have taken him to 169 countries on more than 300 trips, collaborating with articles and photographs to prestgious magazines, Harper’s Bazar, Vogue, Architectural Digest (USA and Italy), Capital, European Travel and Life (USA), Geo (Germany), Rutas del Mundo and Gente Viajes (Spain), Elle Décor, Inside (Japan), Maison et Jardin (France), Weekend, Dove, Gulliver, Class, to name but a few. His career as a photographer began early, aged 10, learning straight away from professional experts. Later his most important “maestro” – in Italy and the USA – was the American Art Kane (1925-1995), one of the geniuses of Twentieth century photography. Tondini has specialized in travel reporting, architecture and food and, to date, his personal archive contains around 1 million images.
Davide Faccioli, director of the prestigious Photology gallery in Milan, in his book “Fotografia tra cronaca e arte” (Photography between chronicle and art) (Padua – Cedam 2004), put Angelo Tondini among the top ten living Italian photographers, alongside De Biasi, Barbieri, Scianna, Harari, Curto, Pellegrin, Thorimbert, ecc In 1986 Tondini founded in Milan the Photojournalistic agency Focus Team and remained its director for 23 years, until 2009. In 1988 he was the first westerner to reach the sources of the Yellow River in China, in the Qinghai region.
Along with photography, Tondini has always cultivated a passion for writing and for poetry in particular. A friend of great protagonists of contemporary Italian literature like Giuseppe Ungaretti, Giorgio Soavi and Raffaele Carrieri, he has published works in verse in Italy and Russia. He has been the only non-Irish writer to publish a collection of 100 poems (with English translation) about this wonderful island, presented several times, both in Italy and in Dublin. In spring 2002 he travelled to Kabul, where he wrote various articles about the city, published by different magazines, among them Sette (Corriere della Sera). From his stay in Afghanistan he got the idea for his first – and to date only – novel “Il kamikaze cristiano”, published in 2006 in Italy and in 2011 in the United States (The Christian Kamikaze) . Another of his works “Italian Style” (written with Catherine Sabino) which came out in 1988 in the United States and in Great Britain, was a bestseller in the field of architecture and interior design.
As a photographer he has shown his work in numerous exhibitions in Italy. Some of them are part of public and private collections. For 20 years now, Tondini has, on and off, held courses in creative photography and reporting in Italy and around the world: Morocco, Kenya, Togo, Ghana, Benin,Ivory Coast, Senegal, Guinea Bissau, Namibia, Armenia, Georgia, India, Guinea Conakry, Poland, Algeria, Niger, Burkina Faso, Uzbekistan, Laos, Cambodia, Burma, Bangladesh, Tunisia, Cape Verde.
Published works[edit | edit source]
- Villoresi, Edizioni Contemporarte, 1966
- Grazzini, Edizioni Contemporarte, 1967
- Cuba fine di un mito (Cuba the end of a myth), Modena, Stem, 1972
- Viaggio in Bretagna (Travel through Brittany), Epigrammesi with an original silk-screen print by Gianni Dova. Numbered Edition 1/100, Lucca, 1976
- Cartoline (Postcards), with text in Russian and Italian – anastatic reprint Milan 2007, Kiev, Editor Vipol, 2001
- Compagna di viaggio! (Travel Companion), Poems with two original lithographs by Bruno Cassinari, numbered edition 1/100 – on display at the New York Museum of Modern Art, Milano, Grafica Uno, 1992
- Italian Style, New York, Clarkson N. Potter-Crown, 1985
- 777 consigli per diventare veri viaggiatori (777 hints on how to become true travellers), Milan, Rusconi Editore, 1995, ISBN 88-18-12137-5
- Magnolia, 70 haiku with text in Russian and Italian – anastatic reprint, Milan 2008, Kiev, Editor Vipol, 2003
- Un viaggio sentimentale (A Sentimental Journey), 100 Irish poems in Italian and English 2nd ed., Milan, Lampi di Stampa, 2012, ISBN 88-488-0424-1
- Il Kamikaze Cristiano (The Christian Kamikaze), Milan, Edizioni Bietti, 2006, ISBN 88-8248-205-7
- Tra natura e passione, Published also in English under the title: Betwixt nature and passion, 2nd ed., Bergamo, Veronelli Editore, 2009,ISBN 88-7250-060-5
- The Christian Kamikaze - A story of love and sacrifice in Kabul, Pittsburgh - USA, Rosedog Books, 2001, ISBN 978-1-4349-8649-8
- I colori del mondo - The colours of the world, Photographs and Poems, numbered edition 100 copies, Milan, Il Pegaso, 2012
- Le parole e la carne - Poesie (The words and the flesh - Poems), numbered edition 200 copies, Milan, Il Pegaso, 2012
Works where his name appears[edit | edit source]
- Davide Faccioli, Giuseppe Mazzei, Fotografia tra cronaca e arte (Photography between chronicle and art) with an interview with Angelo Tondini, Padua, CEDAM, 2004, ISBN 88-13-25039-8
- Luigi Alfieri, Alessandro Gandolfi, Fotografare Parma (Photographing Parma) with photographs by Angelo Tondini, Milan, Gabriele Mazzotta, 2008, ISBN 978-88-202-1903-1
Short Anthology of Published Articles[edit | edit source]
- Obiezione e non violenza (Objection and non-violence) Il Mulino N° 204 October 1969
- L’uomo nuovo a Cuba L’Est n°4 (The new man in Cuba) December 1970
- Fidel Castro e la burocrazia L’Est N°1 (Fidel Castro and burocracy) March 1971
- Ideologia, burocrazia e disgregazione nei sistemi totalitari L’Est N° 2 (Ideology, burocracy, and break-up in the totalitarian systems) June 1971
- Stalin tra ideologia e utopia l’Est n°3, (Stalin between ideology and utopia) September 1971
- Rio Amarillo. Las fuentes de China Gente Viajes, Spain, August 1988
- Tuscany’s Renaissance Retreat by Fred Ferretti. Photographs by Angelo Tondini. European Travel & Life (USA) November 1988
- Positano by Barbara Ascher. Photographs by Angelo Tondini. European Travel&Life, February 1989
- Montalcino by Richard de Combray. Photographs by Angelo Tondini. European Travel & life, July-August 1989
- Invention domestique - La maison Horta à Bruxelles Decoration Internationale (France) November 1984
- Saarinen, tel fils, tel père by Frederique Dauphin – Meunier, Maison & Jardin (France) December 1985
- Ornamento senza delitto: una casa Déco a Bruxelles (Ornament with no crime: an art Déco house in Brussels) Text and photographs by Angelo Tondini – Casa Vogue October 1985
- A house in the wood text and photographs by Angelo Tondini – Inside (Japan)- February -March 1990
- Firenze tra arte e tradizione (Florence between art and tradition) by Laura Montini. Photographs by Angelo Tondini - Elle Decor - May 1990
- Notizie da Kabul (News from Kabul) text and photographs by Angelo Tondini. Club3 November 2002
- Il cielo in una estancia Photographs by Angelo Tondini – Class, November 2002
- Le luci di Shanghai (The lights of Shanghai) text and photographs Angelo Tondini. In the world N°2, February 2004
- Luci a Shanghai (Lights in Shanghai) Io Donna – Corriere della Sera N°43, October 2004
Articles about Angelo Tondini[edit | edit source]
- Chi c’è dietro le belle immagini (The man behind the beautiful pictures) by Roberto Mutti – La Repubblica 24-12- 1987
- Angelo Tondini: il fotografo (Angelo Tondini : the Photographer) by Alberto Piovani – Gente Viaggi , October 1989
- Un fotografo giornalista (A journalist photographer) by Roberto Mutti- Fotografare, February 1990
- Tondini, reporter dell’anno (Tondini, reporter of the year) La Nazione 14 November 1991
- Il giro del mondo in un milione di scatti (Around the world in a million photos) Aqua, September 2002
- Angelo Tondini: con le sue foto ha raccontato il mondo (Angelo Tondini: with his photos he has narrated the world) by Massimo Pacifico – Roger n.6 – Winter 2003-2004
[edit | edit source]
- Angelo Tondini The official website
References[edit | edit source]
This article "Angelo Tondini" is from Wikipedia. The list of its authors can be seen in its historical and/or its subpage Angelo Tondini/edithistory. Articles copied from Draft Namespace on Wikipedia could be seen on the Draft Namespace of Wikipedia and not main one.