Did you know a wiki could be used internally in your company ? For better knowledge management and internal communication. Less email and office files. 30 days free trial. (Ad)
Black Star (film)
Black Star is a 2018 short film directed by Akira Chan and starring Jon Butcher, Gabor Mate, and Joe Polish.
The film “follows Jon Butcher’s first-person narration in his tribute to the greatest artists the world has lost to addiction. Serving as a call to action for viewers, Jon and Joe’s mission is to pay homage to the fallen through art, while recognizing those currently struggling with addiction.”
Director Akira Chan stated in an interview that the "film’s message is to change the conversation from one of judgment to one of compassion when it comes to addiction."
Black Star was executive-produced by Joe Polish.
Artist Jon Butcher travels to Bali with his family where he has a chance to engage in some deep reflection about the impact of addiction on his own life and the lives of others.
While in this state of contemplation, Jon is inspired by the life and work of David Bowie and decides to attempt his most ambitious work to date, a tribute to 80 artists who struggled with, and ultimately succumbed to, addiction.
As Jon begins work on this monumental tribute to some of the world’s greatest artists, ex-addict and entrepreneur Joe Polish becomes aware of Jon’s plans and realizes that the work is a perfect fit for his organization, Artists for Addicts, which seeks to help recovering addicts by harnessing “art as a force for good.”
Finally, Jon produces a powerful work that sets the stage for other artists to follow, and provides a beacon of hope for those currently struggling with addiction.
Black Star premiered at the Illuminate Film Festival in Sedona, Arizona in 2018.
Black Star screened at the Boston International Film Festival in 2019.
Audience Award for Best Short Film, Illuminate Film Festival, 2018.
- Staff, Film Daily (2019-04-11). "Indie film of the day: 'Black Star'". Film Daily. Retrieved 2019-08-08.
- Staff, So Booking Cool (2019-05-15). "Interview With "Black Star" Filmmaker Akira Chan!". So Booking Cool. Retrieved 2019-08-08.
- "Joe Polish: Changing the Conversation of Addiction". Rehab Reviews. 2018-02-19. Retrieved 2019-08-08.
- Staff, So Booking Cool (2019-05-15). "Interview With "Black Star" Filmmaker Akira Chan!". Welcome to SO BOOKING COOL!. Retrieved 2019-08-08.
- "Best of Conscious Shorts 2018 Program Lineup | ILLUMINATE Film Festival | Sedona, Arizona". illuminatefilmfestival.com. Retrieved 2019-08-08.
- "Black Star". Boston International Film Festival | BostoninterFF. Retrieved 2019-08-08.
- "2018 Award Winners | ILLUMINATE Film Festival | Sedona, Arizona". illuminatefilmfestival.com. Retrieved 2019-08-08.
This article "Black Star (film)" is from Wikipedia. The list of its authors can be seen in its historical and/or the page Edithistory:Black Star (film). Articles copied from Draft Namespace on Wikipedia could be seen on the Draft Namespace of Wikipedia and not main one.