Bobby Robson: More Than A Manager
Bobby Robson: More Than A Manager is a 2018 British feature-length film about the life of former England Manager Sir Bobby Robson, directed by Gabriel Clarke and Torquil Jones. The film was produced by Noah Media Group and was distributed in the UK by NoahX (distribution arm of Noah Media Group).The documentary relies primarily on archive footage of Robson, such as home videos, interviews and archive footage from Robson's managerial career at FC Barcelona, Newcastle United FC, Ipswich Town and during his tenure as England Manager. The film partnered with the Sir Bobby Robson Foundation and features interviews from players and managers whose lives have been impacted by Robson.
The film's narrative is focused on the life and death of Sir Bobby Robson as a football manager. The timeline of the film jumps between key points of Sir Bobby Robson's managerial career, beginning with 1995. Robson explains the prognosis of his cancer, and the surgery he undertook. His surgeon, Dr Huw Davies, had advised him to retire from Football, but Sir Bobby Robson decided to go against the advice and became the manager of FC Barcelona 9 months later.
The documentary illustrates Robson's life beginning with first managerial appointment at Ipswich Town Football Club from 1969, his path as England Manager in 1982, his managing abroad in Holland, Portugal and FC Barcelona, before ending his career with Newcastle United. The film showcases the many accolades Robson had managed to obtain throughout his time as a Football manager. In addition to this, the documentary also depicts Sir Bobby Robson's personal life with his family, containing interviews with Lady Elsie and Mark Robson detailing how Robson's managerial career impacted his family life.
Special preview screenings of the film were held at St James Park on the 22nd May, Wembley Stadium on the 23rd May and Portman Road Stadium on the 25th May, featuring Q&A's with the directors alongside ex-football players.
The opening preview screenings of the Bobby Robson: More Than A Manager (2018) film were held at the Curzon Cinema in Soho, London and the Tyneside Cinema, Newcastle on the 31st May 2018.
Digital and home media
Bobby Robson: More Than A Manager received critical acclaim from critics. The film was given 5 stars out of 5 by Sam Parker from Esquire magazine, expressing that More Than A Manger is "the best sports documentary since Senna". It also has a 100% rating on the review aggregator website Rotten Tomatoes and a 8.2 rating on IMDb. Andrew Pulver from The Guardian had given the film 4 out of 5 stars expressing that Bobby Robson: More Than A Manager is a "portrait of an England icon". Michael Hogan, from The Telegraph, also gave the film 4 stars out of 5 stating that "As Mourinho says before the credits roll: “A person only dies when the last person who loves him dies.” By this measure, Bobby Robson lives on and burns bright. More than a manager, he was my hero. Thanks for the memories, boss."
|Sports Journalists' Association||Television Sport or Feature||Won|
|Grierson Awards||Best Historical Document||Shortlisted|
- "Bobby Robson (1996-97)". www.fcbarcelona.com. Retrieved 2019-03-14.
- Sengupta, Somnath (2016-08-24). "Remembering Ipswich Town's odyssey in Europe under Bobby Robson". These Football Times. Retrieved 2019-03-14.
- Wilson, Jeremy (2009-07-31). "Sir Bobby Robson: The England years 1982-1990". ISSN 0307-1235. Retrieved 2019-03-14.
- "Sir Bobby Robson". Newcastle United Football Club. Retrieved 2019-03-14.
- "Sir Bobby Robson - Honours". www.transfermarkt.co.uk. Retrieved 2019-03-14.
- Whetstone, David (2018-03-27). "Fancy tickets for Bobby Robson film at St James' Park?". nechronicle. Retrieved 2019-03-14.
- "Bobby Robson: More Than A Manager screening - News - England Supporters Club". englandsupporters.thefa.com. Retrieved 2019-03-14.
- "Details revealed for 'Bobby film' premiere". Newcastle United Football Club. Retrieved 2019-03-14.
- "Bobby Robson: More Than A Manager Trailer". Film @ The Digital Fix. 2018-04-20. Retrieved 2019-03-14.
- Watson, Stuart. "Watch the trailer for 'Bobby Robson: More Than A Manager'". East Anglian Daily Times. Retrieved 2019-03-14.
- Parker, Sam (2018-05-21). "'Bobby Robson: More Than A Manager', Review: The Best Sports Documentary Since Senna". Esquire. Retrieved 2019-03-14.
- Bobby Robson: More Than a Manager (2018), retrieved 2019-03-14
- Bobby Robson: More Than a Manager, retrieved 2019-03-14
- Pulver, Andrew (2018-06-01). "Bobby Robson: More Than a Manager review – portrait of an England icon". The Guardian. ISSN 0261-3077. Retrieved 2019-03-14.
- Hogan, Michael (2018-06-05). "Bobby Robson: More Than A Manager review: tough, fair, and inspirational – just like the man himself". The Telegraph. ISSN 0307-1235. Retrieved 2019-03-14.
- "Media release: Winners at the British Sports Journalism awards – Sports Journalists' Association". Retrieved 2019-03-14.
- "The Grierson Trust - Shortlist". griersontrust.org. Retrieved 2019-03-14.
This article "Bobby Robson: More Than A Manager" is from Wikipedia. The list of its authors can be seen in its historical and/or the page Edithistory:Bobby Robson: More Than A Manager. Articles copied from Draft Namespace on Wikipedia could be seen on the Draft Namespace of Wikipedia and not main one.