|Born||June 24, 1976|
|🏳️ Citizenship||United States|
|🏫 Education||B.A. George Washington University|
M.A. San Francisco State University
|Co-Founder and Publisher of She Writes Press|
TEDx speaker, “Green-Light Revolution”
Brooke Warner is an American publisher, author, TEDx speaker, and podcaster. She is the co-founder and publisher of She Writes Press and publisher of SparkPress, two hybrid award-winning book publishing imprints. She Writes Press received the 2017 Industry Innovator Award from the Book Industry Study Group (BISG). In 2018, Warner helped negotiate the acquisition of SheBooks, an ebook-only publishing company now under the umbrella of She Writes Press.
Warner got her start in book publishing in 2000 with North Atlantic Books, where she worked as an editor for five years before moving to Seal Press, a feminist women-only publisher (now an imprint of Hachette Book Group), where she was Executive Editor until 2012 when she left to start She Writes Press.
Warner is known for her advocacy work on behalf of independent authors. She has written five books about writing and publishing, most recently Green-Light Your Book, published by She Writes Press in 2016. Warner is credited with breaking the story about the impact of Amazon’s Buy Box policy on publishers and authors when she wrote about it on Huffington Post.
In 2017, Warner delivered a TEDx talk called “Green-Light Revolution,” which reiterates her message to writers to be the determiners of their own creative destinies. In 2018, Warner launched a weekly podcast, “Write-Minded,” with co-host Grant Faulkner, Executive Editor of National Novel Writing Month (NaNoWriMo), where they have interviewed best-selling authors including Jessica Valenti, Kwame Alexander, and Mark Nepo.
Warner is the current Chairperson of the Independent Book Publishers Association (IBPA), after serving on the board and Executive Committee for four years. She is also the Chair of IBPA’s advocacy committee. Warner is a go-to expert on topics related to authorship and book publishing, having been featured in the New York Times and on NPR’s Marketplace.
She was a longtime contributor to Huffington Post Books, and she writes a monthly column for Publishers Weekly.
- Green-Light Your Book: How Writers Can Succeed in the New Era of Publishing (2016)
- The Magic of Memoir: Inspiration for the Writing Journey (2016)
- Breaking Ground on Your Memoir: Craft, Inspiration, and Motivation for Memoir Writers (2015)
- How to Sell Your Memoir: 12 Steps to a Perfect Book Proposal (2013)
- What’s Your Book? A Step-by-Step Guide to Get You from Inspiration to Published Author (2012)
In 2009, Warner married then-publisher of Seal Press, Krista Lyons. They had one son and divorced in 2016. Warner lives in Berkeley, California.
- "Annual Industry Awards - Book Industry Study Group".
- "New Amazon Buy Button Program Draws Ire of Publishers, Authors".
- "How Amazon, Once Again, is Driving Down the Value of Books and Undermining Authors". 2017-05-04.
- "Brooke Warner Elected Chairperson of the Independent Book Publishers Association (IBPA) - Independent Book Publishers Association".
- "Writing your story: The healing power of memoir-writing". 2015-10-20.
- "Women Rule in Indie Publishing".
- Olson, Elizabeth (2014-10-10). "Appeal of Writing Memoirs Grows, as do Publishing Options". The New York Times.
- "04/16/2018: It's another episode of "Is There Anything Beyoncé Can't Do?"".
- "Brooke Warner | HuffPost".
This article "Brooke Warner" is from Wikipedia. The list of its authors can be seen in its historical and/or the page Edithistory:Brooke Warner. Articles copied from Draft Namespace on Wikipedia could be seen on the Draft Namespace of Wikipedia and not main one.