Carole Polchies is an Elder of the Woodstock First Nation (a member of the Maliseet Nation). In 1979 she was a recipient of a regional Tom Longboat Award in recognition of her athletic success.
Personal Life[edit | edit source]
Carole Polchies was born and raised on the Woodstock Reserve.. She is the fifth of nine children of Peter Lewis Paul and Minnie Paul and has four children of her own. Her brother Reginald Paul was also awarded the Tom Longboat Award in 1960
Athletic Success[edit | edit source]
Carole Polchies competed in many sports including softball, bowling, horseshoes and canoeing.. In 1979 she received the Tom Longboat Award (an award acknowledging the achievements of Indigenous athletes in Canada) in recognition of her athletic performance. In 1977 she received a trophy from the American Women's Softball League for being a member of the winning all-star team. She also received won a trophy in bowling from the Canadian Women's Bowling leagues in 1978 and in horseshoes at the Indian Summer Games hosted by the Kingsclear First Nation in 1976. In addition to her participation as an athlete, Carole Polchies was also an advocate for many Indigenous festivals and sporting events and involved in organizing the 1978 Indian Summer Games
References[edit | edit source]
- "The Daily Gleaner". www.telegraphjournal.com. Retrieved 2017-11-20.
- King, C. R. (2015). Native Americans in sports. Routledge. 2 Park Square, Milton Park, Abingdon, Oxon OX14 4RN: Routledge. pp. 307–309. ISBN 9780765680549.
- Forsyth, J.; Lodge-Gagné, V.; Giles, A. (2016). "Negotiating Difference: How Aboriginal Athletes in the Maritimes Brokered their Involvement in Canadian Sport". The International Journal of the History of Sport. 33: 1943–1962.
- Lodge, V. (2012). Mi'kmaq and Maliseet Tom Longboat Award Recipients' Experiences in Sport in the Maritimes (Unpublished master's thesis). University of Ottawa (Canada). 
- Teeter, Karl V. (1993). In memoriam: Peter Lewis Paul, 1902-1989. Hull, Quebec: Canadian Museum of Civilization. p. 36. ISBN 9781772822908.
- "History of the Nova Scotia Mi'kmaw Summer Games – Ku'ku'kwes News". kukukwes.com. Retrieved 2017-11-21.
This article "Carole Polchies" is from Wikipedia. The list of its authors can be seen in its historical and/or the page Edithistory:Carole Polchies. Articles copied from Draft Namespace on Wikipedia could be seen on the Draft Namespace of Wikipedia and not main one.