Angelo during Formula Ford testing at Winton in 2012
|Born||2 June 1996|
|Australian Formula Ford Championship and Victorian Formula Ford Championship career|
|Current team||Ozstaff Racing|
Chelsea Angelo (born June 2, 1996) is a Australian racing driver. and is contesting the 2013 Australian Formula Ford Championship with Ozstaff Racing. She is planning to progress to the Australian Formula 3 Championship in 2014. Angelo is also an ambassador to for the Confederation of Australian Motorsport (CAMS) and the Australian Defense Force through its Team Navy program.
Early life and racing[edit | edit source]
Angelo was born in Melbourne, Australia. Angelo got her first motorbike when she was six years old and started racing at the age of eight. After three years of motocross at Nunawading and Frankston tracks Angelo moved into karting at the age of 11.
Career[edit | edit source]
At age 15, Angelo began competing in club events at the Puckapunyal and then Todd Road circuits; she won a race in her Club Championships and was named Rookie of the Year. Whilst still in the Rookie class, Angelo entered her first Victorian Open title and qualified second in a field of 40 before moving up to the Junior National Light class the year after.
Angelo won a scholarship to attend the CAMS racing camp at the Australian Institute of Sport in Canberra.
Angelo won races in both Junior National Light and Junior Max classes. She was then selected as a participant in the Arrow Rewards Program. From here she moved into circuit competition in Formula Ford.
Formula Ford[edit | edit source]
With her team Evans Motorsport Group, Angelo took part in testing throughout 2012. She competed at the Phillip Island round of the Victorian Formula Ford Championship, achieving a 6th plsce. She also competed at the season-ending Phillip Island Magic event, achieving third place.
In 2013, Angelo participated in her first full year of racing cars, competing in the Victorian Formula Ford Series as well as entering selected rounds of the Australian Formula Ford Championship. During the season she achieved a new lap record at the Phillip Island Grand Prix circuit. Her first race car win was at Sandown Raceway.
Formula Three[edit | edit source]
In 2014, Angelo set a track record for a woman racer at the Bathurst circuit, winning the F3 National class race.
V8 Supercar[edit | edit source]
On 25 June 2013, Angelo tested the Ozstaff Racing Dunlop Series FG Falcon at Winton Raceway. She completed 41 laps and achieved a best lap time of 1.25.89. On 17 September 2013, Angelo had another drive of the V8 Supercar at the Ozstaff Racing ride day at Calder Park. She completed approximately 40 laps. Passengers were taken for rides and no times were taken. In 2014, she raced at Mount Panorama in a Dallara F307.
In 2017, Angelo modeled race-related gamewear for Xbox Australia. Although she did some test driving in China, she did not race that year.
GT3[edit | edit source]
Racing Record[edit | edit source]
Career summary[edit | edit source]
|2012||Victorian Formula Ford Championship||Ozstaff Racing||7||0||0||0||3||n/a||n/a|
|2013||Victorian Formula Ford Championship||Ozstaff Racing||6||1||0||1||2||n/a||n/a|
|2013||Australian Formula Ford Championship||Ozstaff Racing||12||0||0||0||0||37||13th|
Television[edit | edit source]
In 2013, Angelo was chosen as a contestant of the reality TV show, Shannons Supercar Showdown. The format of the show consisted of eight drivers, in two teams of four, competed for a test driver role with Ford Performance Racing in a series of challenges at Calder Park Raceway. The season was presented by Briony Ingerson. The two teams were called Team Davison and Team Winterbottom, named for the mentors of the two teams, Will Davison and Mark Winterbottom.
The series was televised over eight episodes from 14 September to 9 November of the 7mate channel in Australia.
References[edit | edit source]
- "Supercars hoping to have at least three women on starting grid". Daily Telegraph, September 9, 2016
- "Female Supercars drivers set to change Bathurst 1000 landscape". Daily Telegraph, October 7, 2016. NICK WALSHAW.
- "The women driven by passion for cars". Catherine Lambert, Herald Sun, October 9, 2015
- Filmer, Natalie. "Chelsea Angelo's a real fast learner behind the wheel". Herald Sun, 12 July 2012
- MOTORSPORT: Racing still a man's world
- iRacing - not just for sim-racing junkies - PC & Tech Authority
- Female racer claims Phillip Island lap record | Women of Australian Motorsport
- Teenager still on L plates one of fastest around track | Western Advocate
- [MOTORSPORT: Young F3 racers set outright Bathurst records"]. Motoring, Geoffrey Harris 21 April 2014
- "Angelo tests V8 Supercar". v8supercars.com.au. 3 June 2013. Retrieved 3 June 2013.
- "Chelsea Angelo is set to make her ECB SuperUtes Series debut at Bathurst". Western Advocate, September 26 2018
- "Craig Lowndes vows to step up his V8 Supercars title fight at Phillip Island". November 19, 2015 Rebecca WilliamsHerald Sun
- "V8 Supercars: 19-year-old Chelsea Angelo will ditch P-plates for V8 Supercars Dunlop Series in 2016". December 16, 2015 Lauren Wood Herald Sun
- "Female racer Duggan joins Kumho V8 field". Speed Cafe, 29th March, 2016
- "Points docked following Dunlop Series opener". Speed Cafe, 5 March, 2016, Stefan Bartholomaeus
- "Golding’s return to the winners circle". SuperCars Australia, 18/09/2016 By Courtney Callow
- "Is the wait for a female V8 team almost over? Fox Sports presenter Jessica Yates takes a look". Daily Telegraph, 7 July 2016. Jessica Yates'
- "The Xbox Onesie Is Back With Some Improvements, Still Looks Very Comfy". GameSpot, Eddie Makuch on October 2, 2017
- "27 ENTRIES PORSCHE GT3 CUP CHALLENGE OPENER AT THE BEND". Auto Action, Apr. 9, 2018
- "GARRY’S THE BEND SHANNONS NATIONALS WRAP – SUNDAY". Auto Action, 15 April 2018
- "Chelsea chosen for Reality TV Show". shannons.com.au. 16 September 2013. Retrieved 16 September 2013.
[edit | edit source]
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Chelsea Angelo.|
Others articles of the Topic Australia : Troye Sivan, DJ Jaysnbrwn, “Mr Juicy” Gino Gambino, Australia, Finn Little, ReAmped Energy, Martin Nguyen
Some use of "" in your query was not closed by a matching "".Some use of "" in your query was not closed by a matching "".
- Official website
- Official Facebook page
- Career statistics from Driver Database
- Official Instagram page
- Official Twitter page