The first branch of Comikaza opened on September 15, 2003, in Ramat Aviv neighborhood of Tel Aviv by Yossi and Ofra Konijn, a married couple. Prior to the establishment of a brick and mortar store, they operated an online forum and retailer under the domain name comics-net.com. When they realized there was demand, the idea of opening a physical store started taking shape. In 2005 the store relocated from Ramat Aviv to the Dizengoff Center mall in the center of Tel Aviv. Shortly thereafter, an additional store was opened in the mall named "Otaku" specializing in the sale of Japanese Manga, Anime and related paraphernalia. In 2013 the store temporarily shut down and was acquired by Jackob Sareli and Ori Ayalon, former customers, who have operated the store ever since under the branding Comikaza 2.0.
In 2016 the store was nominated for the Will Eisner Spirit of Comics Retailer Award.
The store holds regular signing events by comics creators (such as Neil Gaiman in 2006 or Chip Zdarsky in 2016). Every May it celebrates Free Comic Book Day (FCBD), giving away free comic books for a period of six hours. FCBD is usually held on Fridays in Israel rather than the usual Saturday due to the Shabbath. In 2014 and 2019 the store was nominated for The Diamond Retailer Best Practices Awards for its work on FCBD. The store hosts a comic book reading book club among its customers and has hosted several geek-culture related trivia, auctions, and standup comedy nights.
On 5 August 2004, the store announced the release of the official Marvel-sanctioned Hebrew translation of Ultimate Spider-Man by Brian Michael Bendis and Mark Bagley, translated by David Chanoch published under the label "Comikaza Press". Comikaza released a total of 7 issues in Hebrew, collecting the first story arc of the title. The purpose of producing a Hebrew translation for Spider-Man was: "To promote the Israeli comics industry. Our intention is to ensure that many children, who to this day have been reluctant to read comics due to language barriers, will be able to access the book without fear and as a result will begin to express interest in other comics as well. Our hope is that in a few years there will be a greater number of titles here - original and translated - and we will be able to reach the level of European countries, with a local-language comics section in every bookstore."
In 2018 a Haifa branch was opened, managed by local comics artist Vladik Sandler. This branch shut down at the end of 2019.
Signings and appearances
Comikaza has hosted signings by local comic book creators Koren Shadmi, Asaf Hanuka, and Etgar Keret. It has hosted international comic book creators Neil Gaiman, Adam, and Joe Kubert, John Layman, Declan Shalvey, Klaus Janson Chip Zdarsky, and Joe Rubinstein.
- "Truth, justice and the Israeli way". The Jerusalem Post | JPost.com. Retrieved 2020-09-28.
- Reif, Ido. "Like Thunder on a clear day". Haaretz. Unknown parameter
- "2016 Will Eisner Spirit of Comics Retailer Award Nominees!". Comic-Con International: San Diego. 2016-06-15. Retrieved 2020-09-28.
- "סופר-קומיקס". TheMarker. Retrieved 2020-10-12.
- "לא רק ספיידרמן". Haaretz הארץ (in עברית). Retrieved 2020-10-12.
- "Excelsior! Free Comic Book Day returns Saturday". The Jerusalem Post | JPost.com. Retrieved 2020-09-28.
- Steinberg, Jessica. "A day of comic book heaven". www.timesofisrael.com. Retrieved 2020-09-28.
- "The Diamond Retailer Best Practices Awards". www.diamondcomics.com.
- "Diamond Retailer Best Practices Awards: Summer 2019 – Best Free Comic Book Day Event". bleedingcool.com.
- "קומיקאזה -> קומיקאזה משיקה את ספיידרמן - בעברית". 2004-08-26. Archived from the original on 2004-08-26. Retrieved 2020-09-28.
- Anderman, Nirit. "סדרת חוברות "ספיידרמן" יוצאת בתרגום לעברית". Haaretz. Unknown parameter
- Ross, Alon. ""Spider-Man" in Hebrew - An interview with the author of the idea". ISF. Unknown parameter
- "אירוע חתימות -Mikes Place True Story Love Blues Terror". www.facebook.com. Retrieved 2020-10-27.
- "קורן שדמי- אירוע חתימות(15.8.17)". www.facebook.com. Retrieved 2020-10-27.
- "פיצריה קמיקזה- אירוע חתימות עם אסף חנוכה ואתגר קרת". www.facebook.com. Retrieved 2020-10-27.
- "ניל גיימן יחלק חתימות - וואלה! תרבות". וואלה!News (in עברית). 2006-09-14. Retrieved 2020-10-27.
- "מפגש עם האמנים ג'ו ואדם קיוברט". www.facebook.com. Retrieved 2020-10-27.
- ""משלמים לי כדי לעשות את הדבר שאני הכי אוהב"". ynet (in עברית). 2011-08-17. Retrieved 2020-10-27.
- "ג'ון ליימן בקומיקאזה(10.8.17)". www.facebook.com. Retrieved 2020-10-27.
- "דקלן שלבי מגיע לקומיקאזה". www.facebook.com. Retrieved 2020-10-27.
- "קלאוס ג'נסון בקומיקאזה". www.facebook.com. Retrieved 2020-10-27.
- "מפגש וחתימות עם צ'יפ זדארסקי- Chip Zdarsky". www.facebook.com. Retrieved 2020-10-27.
- "מפגש החתמות עם ג'ו רובנשטיין". www.facebook.com. Retrieved 2020-10-27.
Other articles of the topic Comics : Undertaker (comics), Judith Grimes, The Complete Steve Canyon, For Better or For Worse: The Complete Library, Erma (webcomic), Pride High, Khemed
Some use of "" in your query was not closed by a matching "".Some use of "" in your query was not closed by a matching "".
- Lua error in Module:Official_website at line 90: attempt to index field 'wikibase' (a nil value).
- Comikaza on TwitterLua error in Module:WikidataCheck at line 23: attempt to index field 'wikibase' (a nil value).
- Comikaza on Facebook
This article "Comikaza" is from Wikipedia. The list of its authors can be seen in its historical and/or the page Edithistory:Comikaza. Articles copied from Draft Namespace on Wikipedia could be seen on the Draft Namespace of Wikipedia and not main one.