|5,522 (by birth, 2016)|
|Regions with significant populations|
|Congolese-born people by state or territory|
|French · English · Swahili|
|Related ethnic groups|
Congolese Australians are Australians of Congolese descent or who were born in the Democratic Republic of the Congo or the Republic of the Congo. The population of Congolese born Australians has increased significantly over the past 20 years, from just 21 at the 1996 Census to 5,522 at the 2016 Census.
History[edit | edit source]
Almost 75% of Congolese Australians have immmigrated from the Democratic Republic of the Congo, which has experienced significant conflict and instability since gaining independence in 1960. This has resulted in around 1.8 million Congolese being internally displaced, with around 300,000 fleeing to neighbouring countries. Most immigrants from the Democratic Republic of the Congo have arrived in Australia after 2004 under the Australian Government’s Humanitarian Program. Over 650 visas were issued to people from the Democratic Republic of the Congo under the Australian Government Humanitarian programme in 2015-16, being the fifth highest country. Between 2010-2016 Congolese refugees were in the top 10 nationalities accepted into Australia every year. 
Notable People[edit | edit source]
- Future D. Fidel, playwright
See also[edit | edit source]
Others articles of the Topic Australia : Ray Vanderby, Troye Sivan, Australian Football International, ReAmped Energy, Quidditch Australia, Joe's Basecamp, Indigenous peoples of Australia
Others articles of the Topic Democratic Republic of the Congo : Amini Cishugi
Some use of "" in your query was not closed by a matching "".
References[edit | edit source]
- Australian Bureau of Statistics 2016, Reflecting Australia - Stories from the Census 2016 - Cultural Diversity 'Table 1: Country of Birth of Person by State and Territory of Usual Residence' data cube: Excel spreadsheet, cat no. 2071.0, viewed 6 April 2018, http://www.abs.gov.au/AUSSTATS/abs@.nsf/DetailsPage/2071.02016?OpenDocument
- Australian Bureau of Statistics 2014, Australian Historical Population Statistics 2014'*: Country of Birth' data cube: Excel spreadsheet, cat no. 3105.0.65.001, viewed 9 April 2018, http://www.abs.gov.au/AUSSTATS/abs@.nsf/DetailsPage/3105.0.65.0012014?OpenDocument
- "The Democratic Republic of Congo-born Community | Department of Social Services, Australian Government". www.dss.gov.au. Retrieved 2018-04-09.
- "Fact sheet - Australia's Refugee and Humanitarian programme | Department of Home Affairs, Australian Government". www.homeaffairs.gov.au. Retrieved 2018-04-09.
- DRC Refugees to Australia SBS. 03/10/16
|This Australia-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This Republic of the Congo-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
This article "Congolese Australians" is from Wikipedia. The list of its authors can be seen in its historical and/or the page Edithistory:Congolese Australians. Articles copied from Draft Namespace on Wikipedia could be seen on the Draft Namespace of Wikipedia and not main one.