|Angela Crystal Newman|
|Edit this InfoBox|
Crystal Newman is a Ugandan radio personality and TV presenter, corporate MC, digital influencer, motivational speaker and Mrs World - Uganda 2011. She hosted The Drive and Hit Selector shows with exclusive celebrity interviews on 88.2 Sanyu FM. She retired from radio in August 2018 after her eighteen year radio career all at Sanyu FM.
She is well known for hosting TV shows such as Show me the Money, Trends, Children in our Lives, as a field presenter for Big Brother Africa and host of NSSF Friends With Benefits 2016 and 2018 with Gaetano Kagwa.
She has worked as a campaign ambassador for Uganda Breweries Red Card to drive an Anti-drunk driving crusade and promote safe driving and responsible drinking. She also is one of Uganda's most sought after emcees hosting major corporate events. Crystal Newman was recently appointed a Goodwill ambassador for the Uganda Red Cross and is a passionate advocate for the rights of women and children.
Crystal was listed number 18 on the Top 40 Most Sexy and Brainy Women in Uganda, a list combined by Elle Afrique Magazine in 2013 and media outlets have called her different titles including Uganda's hottest radio personality y Ugpulse. She has been interviewed by and also appeared on the cover of a number of magazines including Full Woman, Citizen and so many others. She has herself interviewed a number of personalities like BBC's Nancy Kacungira, Juliana Kanyomozi, the late Mowzey Radio and so many others.
Career[edit | edit source]
Radio[edit | edit source]
Crystal started working as a Public Relations Officer (P.R.O) for Kampala Casino at the age of 22. In 2005 she quit Public Relations to concentrate on her radio career.
Crystal hosted a number of shows at 88.2 Sanyu FM in Kampala. She co-hosted The Morning Breakfast from 2000 - 2003 and now presents The Drive Show (since 2005) and Hit Selector (since 2003). Her celebrity interview segment of Hit Selector called Celeb Select which she started in 2016, has garnered a lot of positive reviews and has featured almost all Ugandan celebrities. The two shows garnered her nominations for the Best Radio Host of the Year 2017
Television[edit | edit source]
Crystal's debut on TV was at NTV Uganda in 2007 where she hosted a business challenge show called Show Me The Money and she has since gone on to host various shows.
|2007||Show Me The Money||Host||NTV Uganda||Business challenge reality show|
|2008||Big Brother Africa 3||Guest Presenter||DStv||Reality show|
|Trends||Creator and Host||NTV Uganda||Lifestyle show|
|Tusker Project Fame||Judge||Various TV Stations||East African singing competition reality show|
|2010,2012, 2013, 2014||Children With Voices/Children in Our Lives||Host||Talk show with Raising Voices (NGO) to create awareness of and prevent violence against children|
|2011||Sweet Talk||Co-host||WBS TV||Lifestyle talk show|
|2016, 2018||NSSF Friends With Benefits show||Co-host with Gaetano Kagwa||NTV Uganda, Urban TV, Bukedde TV, TV West||Innovations reality show|
|Since 2016||Celeb Select||Host||YouTube & Facebook||One hour segment (Celebrity Interviews) of her Hit Selector" radio show that is streamed and recorded for YouTube and Facebook listeners and viewers|
MC - Events[edit | edit source]
- Royal Ascot Goat Races (2007, 2009, 2010). Biggest charity social event on the Ugandan calendar.
- International Jazz Festival featuring Miriam Makeba
- Inaugural Launch of Warid Telecom in Uganda, with H. E President Yoweri Museveni, Sheikh Nahayan Mubarak Al Nahayan in attendance and 1000 guests (2008).
- Stanbic Bank Uganda launches and events (2009, 2010).
- British Council Uganda 75th Anniversary (2010).
- DSTV Big Brother Africa Launch and Eviction parties (2009, 2010, 2011).
- CNN African Journalist of the Year Dinner (2010).
- Minute Maid Launch (Coca Cola) in Uganda (2011).
- Launch of Qatar Airways (2011)
- Art Splash-Alex Rostotsky Jazz concert (2012)
- Chevrolet 100 Years Celebrations (2012)
- Standard Chartered 100 Years Celebration (2012)
- AMREF Stand Up for African Mothers Campaign Launch with First Lady Janet Museveni at State House Uganda (2012)
- DSTV Mobile/GO TV Mobile Launch (2013)
- Miss Uganda Launch and Finale (2013)
- Superbrands East Africa Awards (2014)
- Public Health Awards (2014)
- ACIA Awards (2014)
- Share A Coke Campaign Launch (2015)
- Launch of Etihad Airways (2015)
- Annual Women’s Leadership Conference (2015)
- Cipla QCI Launch of “One pill a day” HIV/Aids drug and Hepatitis B drug (2015)
- Bandwidth and Cloud Services Group Launch (2016)
- USPA-Uganda Sports Press Association Awards (2016)
- Uganda Corporate Social Responsibility Awards (2016)
- Club Music Video Awards (2017)
- Launch of Anti Counterfeit Network Africa (2017)
- Africa Insurance Awards (2017)
- Sheraton 50th Anniversary Dinner (2017)
- Pearl Of Africa Fashion Awards (2017)
Nominations and Awards[edit | edit source]
|2017||Abryanz Style and Fashion Awards||Female Most Stylish/Dressed Celebrity||Nominated|
Personal Life[edit | edit source]
She was born in Nairobi to Sande Newman (father), a Ugandan retired pilot and Alex Newman (mother), a retired UNHCR worker of mixed English-Ugandan race. Crystal spent most of her childhood in Zambia until she was 10 when the family returned to Uganda.
Crystal attended Makerere College for both her "O" and "A" levels. She then joined Makerere University where she graduated with a bachelors degree in Mass Communication.
References[edit | edit source]
- "Newman is Mrs Uganda". The Observer. Retrieved 27 June 2018.
- "Meet Mrs World Uganda 2011: Crystal Newman". Daily Monitor. Retrieved 27 June 2018.
- "Crystal Newman retires from radio after 18 years". Ghafla News. Retrieved 7 August 2018.
- "Our Hosts; Crystal Newman". NSSF Uganda. Retrieved 27 June 2018.
- "Gaetano, Crystal given Friends With Benefits nod". Showbiz Uganda. Retrieved 27 June 2018.
- "Gaetano, Crystal Scoop NSSF Friends with Benefits Deal Again". Telesqop. Retrieved 27 June 2018.
- "Crystal Newman Spearheads Anti-drunk driving Crusade". Guide2Uganda. Retrieved 27 June 2018.
- "Uganda's Finest: Top 40 Hot, Sexy and Brainy Women". Tea Kisi. Retrieved 27 June 2018.
- "TOP 40 Most Sexy And Brainy Women In Uganda According to Elle Afrique magazine". Big Eye. Retrieved 27 June 2018.
- "Angela Crystal Newman-Kavulu: Uganda's Hottest Radio Personality". Ugpulse. Retrieved 27 June 2018.
- "How I make it work-Crystal Newman". Daily Monitor. Retrieved 27 June 2018.
- "COVER: The rise of independent and bold women". The Citizen. Retrieved 27 June 2018.
- "The Hits Selector Presenter(s): Crystal". Sanyu FM. Retrieved 27 June 2018.
- "Eddy Kenzo wins big at the Uganda Entertainment Awards: Here's the full list of winners". Big Eye. Retrieved 27 June 2018.
- "Tpf Auditions Jammed". New Vision. Retrieved 27 June 2018.
- "Gaetano, Crystal to host new TV show". Matooke Republic. Retrieved 27 June 2018.
- "Gaetano and Crystal to host Friends with Benefits season II". Sqoop. Retrieved 27 June 2018.
- "About the show". NSSF. Retrieved 27 June 2018.
- "I am not a slay queen, call me 'Mumpreneur'". The Observer. Retrieved 27 June 2018.
- "Uganda's famous goat races". BBC Travel. Retrieved 28 June 2018.
- "Crystal Newman to host the Uganda Festival 2018". New Vision. Retrieved 27 June 2018.
- "Crystal Newman to host the Uganda Festival 2018". The Uganda Today.
- "Crystal Newman to host Dinner Gala at Uganda Festival in Washington DC". Nilepost. Retrieved 27 June 2018.
- "Showbiz: Crystalâ€™S Man". New Vision. Retrieved 27 June 2018.
- "Sanyu FM's Crystal Expecting Second Child". Ugandaonline. Retrieved 27 June 2018.
[edit | edit source]
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Crystal Newman.|
- Crystal Newman on Facebook
- Crystal Newman on TwitterLua error in Module:WikidataCheck at line 23: attempt to index field 'wikibase' (a nil value).
- Crystal Newman on Instagram
- YouTube Channel
This article "Crystal Newman" is from Wikipedia. The list of its authors can be seen in its historical and/or the page Edithistory:Crystal Newman. Articles copied from Draft Namespace on Wikipedia could be seen on the Draft Namespace of Wikipedia and not main one.