|File:Daniel Horan OFM.jpg|
|Born||Daniel Patrick Horan|
November 15, 1983
Pensacola, Florida, US
|Residence||Chicago, Illinois, US|
|Website||<strong%20class= "error"><span%20class="scribunto-error"%20id="mw-scribunto-error-1">Lua%20error%20in%20Module:Wd%20at%20line%201991:%20attempt%20to%20index%20local%20'id'%20(a%20nil%20value). http://<strong%20class="error"><span%20class="scribunto-error"%20id="mw-scribunto-error-1">Lua%20error%20in%20Module:Wd%20at%20line%201991:%20attempt%20to%20index%20local%20'id'%20(a%20nil%20value).|
Daniel Patrick Horan OFM (born 1983) is an American Franciscan friar (of the Order of Friars Minor of Holy Name Province), Roman Catholic priest, theologian, and author. He is currently assistant professor of systematic theology and spirituality at Catholic Theological Union in Chicago. He is a columnist for National Catholic Reporter.
Early life and education[edit | edit source]
Horan was born on November 15, 1983, in Pensacola, Florida. He studied theology (in the School of Arts and Sciences) and journalism (in the Jandoli School of Journalism) at St. Bonaventure University, and studied in the Master of Arts in systematic theology and Master of Divinity programs at the Washington Theological Union. He earned a Doctor of Philosophy degree in systematic theology from Boston College.
Career[edit | edit source]
Horan taught in the Department of Religious Studies at Siena College in Loudonville, New York, and summer courses in the Department of Theology at St. Bonaventure University, the School of Theology and Ministry at Boston College, and at Catholic Theological Union. He serves on the Board of Trustees of St. Bonaventure University  and the Board of Regents of Franciscan School of Theology. He previously served several terms on the International Thomas Merton Society Board of Directors and is a former columnist at America.
Horan has written on Franciscan theology, philosophy, and spirituality as well as given lectures and delivered academic papers (around the US, Canada, and Europe) on the theological and social significance of the work of Thomas Merton. He has also given workshops and delivered lectures on the intersection of the millennial generation and spirituality. His current work focuses on postmodern thought and the use of medieval Franciscan thinkers like John Duns Scotus as well as the authentic retrieval of their thought for contemporary theological inquiry; the life, work and thought of Thomas Merton; and contemporary systematic and constructive theologies.
Horan is known for leading retreats.
Honours[edit | edit source]
- 2011 Catholic Press Association First-Place Award for the article "Digital Natives and Franciscan Spirituality" published in the journal Spiritual Life.
- 2014 Catholic Press Association Third-Place Award for the book Naked, and You Clothed Me (Contributor).
- Honorary Doctor of Humane Letters degree, Felician University (2015)
Books[edit | edit source]
- Dating God: Live and Love in the Way of St. Francis (First ed.). Cincinnati: Franciscan Media. 2012. ISBN 978-1616361365.
- Francis of Assisi and the Future of Faith: Exploring Franciscan Spirituality and Theology in the Modern World (First ed.). Phoenix: Tau Publishing. 2012. ISBN 978-1619560413.
- Franciscan Spirituality for the 21st Century: Selected Reflections from the Dating God Blog and Other Essays (First ed.). Boston: Koinonia Press. 2012. ISBN 978-0615597539.
- The Last Words of Jesus: A Meditation on Love and Suffering (First ed.). Cincinnati: Franciscan Media. 2013. ISBN 978-1616364090.
- Spirit and Life: A Franciscan Guide for Spiritual Reflection (First ed.). Boston: Koinonia Press. 2013. ISBN 978-0615781167. (With Julianne Wallace)
- Postmodernity and Univocity: A Critical Account of Radical Orthodoxy and John Duns Scotus (First ed.). Minneapolis: Fortress Press. 2014. ISBN 978-1451465723.
- The Franciscan Heart of Thomas Merton: A New Look at the Spiritual Inspiration of His Life, Thought, and Writing (First ed.). Notre Dame: Ave Maria Press. 2014. ISBN 978-1594714221.
- God is Not Fair and Other Reasons for Gratitude (First ed.). Cincinnati: Franciscan Media. 2016. ISBN 978-1632531414.
- Daybreaks: Daily Reflections for Advent and Christmas (First ed.). Liguori, MO: Liguori Publications. 2017. ISBN 978-0764827303. [Spanish trans: Un Nuevo Comienzo: Reflexiones Diarias Para Adviento y Navidad]
- Daybreaks: Daily Reflections for Lent and Easter (First ed.). Liguori, MO: Liguori Publications. 2018. ISBN 978-0764827310. [Spanish trans: Un Nuevo Comienzo: Reflexiones Diarias Para Cuaresma y Pascua]
- All God's Creatures: A Theology of Creation (First ed.). Lanham: Lexington Books/Fortress Academic. 2018. ISBN 978-1978701533.
- Reading, Praying, Living Pope Francis's Rejoice and Be Glad: A Faith Formation Guide (First ed.). Collegeville: Liturgical Press. 2019. ISBN 978-0814664070.
References[edit | edit source]
- Horan, Daniel P. (2016). Imagining Planetarity: Toward a Postcolonial Franciscan Theology of Creation (PhD thesis). Boston: Boston College. hdl:2345/bc-ir:107266.
- "Franciscan Friars - Ordo Fratrum Minorum". Ordo Fratrum Minorum. Archived from the original on 2019-05-06. Retrieved 2019-05-12.
- "Holy Name Province". Holy Name Province. Archived from the original on 2019-04-11. Retrieved 2019-05-12.
- "Daniel P. Horan, OFM - Catholic Theological Union". www.ctu.edu. Archived from the original on 2019-01-30. Retrieved 2019-01-30.
- "NCR Website". www.NCRonline.org. Archived from the original on 2019-01-13. Retrieved 2019-01-12.
- Lafevere, Patrice (7 December 2018). "Memories of Merton's path linger at St. Bonaventure University". National Catholic Reporter. Retrieved 12 May 2019.
- "HNPToday WTU Commencement". Archived from the original on 2019-03-27. Retrieved 2019-03-27.
- "ITMS Officers and Board". www.merton.org. Archived from the original on 2012-01-27. Retrieved 2011-12-03.
- "Daniel P. Horan". Archived from the original on 2013-04-06. Retrieved 2013-03-21.
- ""Francis -- The Saint and the Pope" retreat Shalom". Telegraph Herald. 6 June 2015.
- "C.V." 29 January 2019. Archived from the original on 21 April 2019. Retrieved 30 January 2019.
- "ITMS 11TH General Meeting - Thomas Merton Center". www.mertoncenter.org. Archived from the original on 2009-09-05. Retrieved 2009-09-05.
- "(Catholic San Francisco column)". Archived from the original on 2016-08-21. Retrieved 2012-03-15.
- "Television Interview". www.saltandlighttv.org. Archived from the original on 2019-01-30. Retrieved 2019-01-30.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2009-02-03. Retrieved 2009-08-16.CS1 maint: Archived copy as title (link) "Spiritual Life" website
- "Catholic Press Association". www.catholicpress.org. Archived from the original on 2014-07-03. Retrieved 2014-06-23.
[edit | edit source]
- Lua error in Module:Official_website at line 90: attempt to index field 'wikibase' (a nil value).
- Los Angeles Religious Education Congress "Fear: The Enemy of Christian Discipleship"
- "Franciscan Authors Book on Dating God" Catholic News Service
- 2016 interview with America magazine
This article "Daniel Horan" is from Wikipedia. The list of its authors can be seen in its historical and/or the page Edithistory:Daniel Horan. Articles copied from Draft Namespace on Wikipedia could be seen on the Draft Namespace of Wikipedia and not main one.