Erase and Forget
|Erase and Forget|
|Directed by||Andrea Luka Zimmerman|
|Written by||Andrea Zimmerman, Taina Galis|
|Music by||Adam Paroussos, Serin Kucuk (sound design)|
|Edited by||Taina Galis|
|Feb 2017, Berlin Film Festival|
Erase and Forget is a 2017 documentary film directed by Andrea Luka Zimmerman which charts the life of American ex-soldier Bo Gritz, in order to examine the links between Hollywood films and ‘America’s hidden wars’.
Production and release
Erase and Forget is a Danish-British co-production, which was supported by The Wapping Project Commissions with funding from Women’s Playhouse Trust and Arts Council England. The executive producer was Gareth Evans. It was developed out of early collaboration with Vision Machine.
Erase and Forget first screened at the 2017 Berlin Film Festival where it was nominated for the Glashütte Original Documentary Award. It screened in October 2017 at the London Film Festival, played in UK cinemas from 2 March 2018 and was internationally screened on online viewing platform MUBI in July and August 2018.
The film received mostly positive critical reaction. The Financial Times gave it 5 stars and wrote 'the film is so loopy you end up like Laocoön, wreathed by serpents of paradox and contradiction.' Empire Magazine  , Little White Lies , The Guardian   and Frieze  were some of the papers or magazines which connected the film to the presidency of Donald Trump and contemporary American politics, with Frieze describing it as 'a portrait of Gritz as a kind of cipher for evolving 20th century American ideologies' and Empire describing it as a 'disconcerting documentary, which also doubles as an insight into the American mindset that led to the election of Donald Trump.
The film was negatively reviewed in The Times by Kevin Maher.
- "The Discomfort of Recognition: Andrea Luka Zimmerman's 'Erase And Forget' |". Another Gaze. 2017-12-01. Retrieved 2018-07-11.
- "Erase and Forget: Portrait of a Madcap American Hero;". Financial Times. 2018-03-03. Retrieved 2018-10-14.
- "Erase and Forget;". Empire Online. 2018-02-27. Retrieved 2018-10-14.
- "Erase and Forget;". Little White Lies. 2018-03-03. Retrieved 2018-10-14.
- "Erase and Forget: new documentary reveals life story of the real Rambo;". The Guardian. 2017-02-13. Retrieved 2018-10-14.
- "Erase and Forget: real life Rambo finally gets his own movie;". The Guardian. 2018-03-02. Retrieved 2018-10-14.
- "Second Looks - How documentary filmmakers are experimenting with historical narratives to better understand the present;". Frieze. 2018-02-12. Retrieved 2018-10-14.
- "Film Review - Erase and Forget;". The Times. 2018-03-02. Retrieved 2018-10-14.
This article "Erase and Forget" is from Wikipedia. The list of its authors can be seen in its historical and/or the page Edithistory:Erase and Forget. Articles copied from Draft Namespace on Wikipedia could be seen on the Draft Namespace of Wikipedia and not main one.