Servant of God
|Church||Syro-Malabar Catholic Church|
Puthanpally, Ernakulam District, Kerala, India
|Died||17 January 2008 (aged 79)|
|Title as Saint||Servant of God|
Fidelis Thaliath (1929 – 2008), popularly known as Doctoramma (Mother Doctor), was an Indian nun, gynecologist and social reformer who worked among the destitute people in Delhi. She was declared Servant of God in 2021.
Fidelis Thaliath was born as Kochuthresia in 1929 in Puthanpally, a village in Ernakulam district of the south Indian state of Kerala to Joseph Thaliath and Mariamkkutty. She joined the religious congregation, Sisters of the Destitute in 1952 and took the perpetual vow of chastity in 1956. In 1964, she moved to Chicago where she joined the Loyola University to obtain a medical degree in Gynecology. Subsequently, she returned to India to start her career as a medical professional in Holy Angels' Nursing Home in Delhi but returned to Chicago in 1973 to complete her master's degree in 1977.
Returning to India in 1977, she founded the Jivodya Hospital, which was built on a plot of land in Ashok Vihar in Delhi, bought with a gift of US$ 1000 she had received for purchasing a car[note 1] and served there in the Department of Gynecology. During her time in Delhi, she was involved in several social activities, focusing on helping the destitute people and founded two centres, one to house the poor women in Vikaspuri and the other, a home for the handicapped children in Ghaziabad.
Hers was a life set aside for the underprivileged and the needy. Nourished by the sacrament of eucharist and rosary in her hands, she walked through the streets of Delhi, caring for the sick and the abandoned. She not only took care of them and provided medicines, but also prayed for them. Her selfless service brought meaning to the lives of so many poor patients, especially the lepers.
Thaliath died on January 17, 2008, at the age of 79."#cite_note-SDS_" contains a listed "#" character as part of the property label and has therefore been classified as invalid. Loyola University Chicago, her alma mater, have since instituted a scholarship, Class Of 1960 Sister Fidelis Thaliath, MD, Medical Student Scholarship Fund, in her honor.
Cause of canonization
Thaliath is reported to have performed several miracles which are being considered and verified by Roman Catholic Church and her social and religious contributions were considered by the Church while deciding upon initiation of her canonization process. As the first step towards canonization, she was declared Servant of God by the Roman Catholic Church on 14 July 2021 in the archdiocese of Faridabad by the Archbishop Mar Kuriakose Bharanikulangara.
- George Vakayil
- Mathew Kavukattu
- Antony Thachuparambil
- Eliswa Vakayil
- Please see In Memorium section
- "Sister Fidelis SD" [സിസ്റ്റര് ഫിദേലിസ് തളിയത്ത് എസ്ഡി ദ]. Marian Pathram. 2021-07-15. Retrieved 2021-07-16.
- "Sister Fidelis is Servant of God" [സിസ്റ്റര് ഫിദേലിസ് തളിയത്ത് ഇനി ദൈവദാസി]. sundayshalom. 2021-07-15. Retrieved 2021-07-16.
- "Stritchmed Spring Summer 08 - Medical School - Physician". Scribd. Retrieved 2021-07-16.
- "Nomination procedures for Sister Thaliath is on" [സിസ്റ്റർ ഫിദേലിസ് തളിയത്തിന്റ നാമകരണ നടപടികൾക്ക് ആരംഭം]. pravachakasabdam.com. Retrieved 2021-07-16.
- "About Us - Jivodaya Hospital". jivodayahospital.com. Retrieved 2021-07-16.
- "SDS :: Obituary". www.sdstmarys.org. Retrieved 2021-07-16.
- "Class Of 1960 Sister Fidelis Thaliath, MD, Medical Student Scholarship Fund - Loyola University Chicago Scholarships". luc.academicworks.com. Retrieved 2021-07-16.
- "Nomination of Sister Thaliath" [ഫിദേലിസ് തളിയത്തിന്റ നാമകരണ നടപടികൾക്ക് ആരംഭം]. Sathyam Online. 2021-07-14. Retrieved 2021-07-16.
- Lifeday (2021-07-13). "The nomination procedures begin" [സിസ്റ്റർ ഫിദേലിസ് തളിയത്തിന്റ നാമകരണ നടപടികൾക്ക് ആരംഭം 2]. Catholic Church News Malayalam. Retrieved 2021-07-16.
- "sr-dr-fidelis-thaliath-to-be-blessed". Sathyadeepam. Retrieved 2021-07-16.
This article "Fidelis Thaliath" is from Wikipedia. The list of its authors can be seen in its historical and/or the page Edithistory:Fidelis Thaliath. Articles copied from Draft Namespace on Wikipedia could be seen on the Draft Namespace of Wikipedia and not main one.