Fijian passport front cover
|Type of document||Passport|
|Eligibility requirements||Fijian citizenship|
Types of passports[edit | edit source]
Fiji issues four types of passport:
- Ordinary Passport – Bright blue cover. Issued to ordinary citizens of Fiji. Valid for ten years.
- Diplomatic Passport – Scarlet red cover. Issued to the President and spouse, Prime Minister and spouse, government ministers and government officials working in diplomatic missions. Generally valid for ten years, but validity may be limited by term of appointment.
- Official Passport – Introduced in 2016. Issued to members of a Fijian disciplined force (Republic of Fiji Military Forces, Fiji Police Force or Fiji Corrections Service) travelling on peacekeeping duty.
- Certificate of identity (CI) – May be issued to facilitate emergency travel, and can be issued to non-citizens. Generally valid for a single trip only.
All passport applications lodged within Fiji or its diplomatic missions are referred to the Passport Division in Suva for assessment and issue. Certificates of identity may be issued by Fijian diplomatic missions for emergency travel only.
Biometric passport[edit | edit source]
Fiji began issuing biometric passports (called ePassports) from 19 September 2019. The ePassport system was set up for Fiji's Department of Immigration by German company Muhlbauer ID Services. The new technology saw the passport fee more than double from FJD $76 to $200.
Visa requirements[edit | edit source]
As of 1 January 2017, Fijian citizens had visa-free or visa on arrival access to 79 countries and territories, ranking the Fijian passport 61st in terms of travel freedom according to the Henley visa restrictions index.
References[edit | edit source]
- "Fiji govt rolls out new e-passports". RNZ. 23 September 2019. Retrieved 28 October 2019.
- Fiji Islands Passports Act 2002
- Fiji Passport, Department of Immigration.
- Passports (Amendment) 2016
- "Enrolment Of ePassports Starts Today, Immigration Department Outline New Fees". Fiji Sun. 19 September 2019. Retrieved 28 October 2019.
- "Fiji looks forward to 1st 5,000 e-passports". Xinhua. 2 September 2019. Retrieved 28 October 2019.
- "Fiji to launch new e-passports to enhance security, convenience". Xinhua. 9 August 2019. Retrieved 28 October 2019.
- "Global Ranking - Visa Restriction Index 2017" (PDF). Henley & Partners. Retrieved 14 March 2017.
[edit | edit source]
|This Fiji-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
This article "Fijian passport" is from Wikipedia. The list of its authors can be seen in its historical and/or the page Edithistory:Fijian passport. Articles copied from Draft Namespace on Wikipedia could be seen on the Draft Namespace of Wikipedia and not main one.