Chester, Cheshire, England
|Notable work(s)||The Ash Fire (1992)|
As a playwright, perhaps his most notable work was the 1992 production The Ash Fire. Centred on a crisis within a Jewish Dublin family of the 1930s, the play, which was performed in Dublin, London, Glasgow and New York, has been widely cited as an important example of intercultural Irish theatre. In 2018, The Ash Fire was programmed by the Lir Academy for a 25th anniversary production.
As an actor, Gavin Kostick performed Joseph Conrad’s Heart of Darkness: Complete, a six hour show, for Absolut Fringe (winning the Spirit of the Fringe award), Dublin Theatre Festival and The London Festival of Literature at the Southbank. He also teaches on the Master in Fine Art - Playwriting degree at The Lir Academy.
Awards[edit | edit source]
- Irish Times Theatre Awards: Best New Play (The Games People Play, 2014)
- Little Gem Award (Swing, 2013)
- Stewart Parker Trust Workshop at Annaghmakerrig (2011)
- Little Gem Award (Pocket Music, 2011)
- Little Gem Award (Fight Night, 2010)
- Spirit of the Fringe Award (Heart of Darkness, 2007)
- Stewart Parker Trust Award (The Ash Fire, 1992)
References[edit | edit source]
This article "Gavin Kostick" is from Wikipedia. The list of its authors can be seen in its historical and/or the page Edithistory:Gavin Kostick. Articles copied from Draft Namespace on Wikipedia could be seen on the Draft Namespace of Wikipedia and not main one.
- "In the Bag: From Tiny Shows to World Tours". The Irish Times. 2014. Retrieved 25 February 2018.
- King, Jason (2005). "Interculturalism and Irish Theatre: The Portrayal of Immigrants on the Irish Stage". The Irish Review. 33: 23–39.
- Herbert, I. (1993). Theatre Record, Volume 13, Issues 1-9. pp. 75–77.
- White, Victoria (1993). "Victoria White reviews Pigsback's successful offering to the Dublin Theatre Festival which has just embarked on a lengthy international tour". Theatre Ireland. 30: 41–42.
- Guernsey, Otis L. Jr. (1993). The Best Plays of 1993. Limelight. p. 229.
- Fricker, Karen; Lentin, Ronit (2007). Performing Global Networks. Cambridge: Cambridge Scholars Publishing. p. 47.
- Lentin, Ronit; McVeigh, Robbie (2002). Racism and Anti-Racism in Ireland. Beyond the Pale. p. 165.
- "Summer Productions at the LIR Academy". Lir: National Academy of Dramatic Art. 2018. Retrieved 26 February 2018.
- American Theatre, Volume 25, Issues 6-10. Michigan: Theatre Communications Group. 2008. p. 148.
- "MFA in Playwriting". National Academy of Dramatic Art. 2017. Retrieved 25 February 2018.
- "Irish Times Theatre Awards: the Winners". The Irish Times. 2014. Retrieved 25 February 2018.
- "Stewart Parker Trust Workshops at Annaghmakerrig". Stewart Parker Trust. 2015. Retrieved 25 February 2018.
- "Show in a Bag". Irish Theatre Institute. 2017. Retrieved 25 February 2018.
- "Writing Workshop with Gavin Kostick". Theatre Forum. 2009. Retrieved 25 February 2018.
- "Stewart Parker Trust Awards". Stewart Parker Trust. 2017. Retrieved 25 February 2018.