|Founder 👔||Raosaheb Gogte|
|Headquarters 🏙️||Belgaum, Karnataka, India|
Area served 🗺️
Number of employees
|🌐 Website||[Lua error in Module:WikidataIB at line 665: attempt to index field 'wikibase' (a nil value). ]|
In the early 1950s, Japanese interest in the iron and manganese ores of Portuguese Goa led Raosaheb Gogte, a lawyer at the time, to explore the possibility of mining for the ores in the districts of Ratnagiri and North Kanara. In 1954, he began mining for manganese near Kuveshi. With financial encouragement from local lenders, Gogte established the Gogte Mines company and began mining for iron ore at Redi, in 1957, having leased 187 acres and 16 gunthas for the project, and producing 15,000 tonnes of iron ore within the first four months.
In 1962, the company came under scandal when one of its mines collapsed, injuring several workers. When contractors began demanding higher rates, he commissioned two self-propelled barges for the transport of the ore, which were inaugurated by Yashwantrao Chavan and his wife. Turning a profit after a decade of functioning, Gogte formally incorporated his mining company on July 20, 1967.
By 1972, the company was exporting iron and manganese ore to Europe and the Middle East. By 1973, the company was considered one of the leading exporters of iron ore in Maharashtra, with their mine in Redi, being cited as the principal producer.
In 1963, Gogte scouted 1500 acres of land near Nala Sopara for developing a salt works. He tasked his brother Vasudev with its management, who would apply French and Tunisian techniques of salt production at the works. The Gogte Salts company was inaugurated in 1964 at the hands of Sadashiv Govind Barve, after Gogte's brother Vaman, dealt with lengthy legal proceedings to obtain letters of intent from the government for the company to go into commercial production in Maharashtra. Negotiations concluded, after the company acquiesced to manufacture both edible and industrial salt for which the government would allot 2,000 acres of land to the company. In July 1964, the Government of Maharashtra gave the company licenses to manufacture soda ash and ammonium chloride.
By 1974, Gogte had secured buyers for the company's iron ore in Romania, formally incorporating the Gogte Minerals company on February 23, 1977, for promotion of ammonium chloride fertilizers. As of 2020, the company's research in the use of the minerals it mines, as well as the company's export practices have been cited by several government and educational institutions studying the field.
On May 17, 1980, Gogte established Gogte Textiles, venturing into textiles, manufacturing cotton yarns and fabrics. Under the advisement of S. M. Krishna, he pursued to obtain a license from the Government of Karnataka under Gundu Rao, to set up a textile mill in Kakti, acquiring 100 acres for the venture, and ordering weaving machinery from Switzerland. After promises of financial encouragement from the Ministry of Industry fell through, Gogte appealed to R. N. Malhotra at the Reserve Bank of India for provision of working capital. Financial encouragement came from the State Bank of Mysore and IDBI, under the advisement of Shankarrao Chavan.
In the late 1980s, Gogte's son Arvind, and his wife presented samples of their Textile Mills' terrycloth towels to then Prime Minister Rajiv Gandhi, when they learned that his wife Sonia Gandhi had enquired after them. When Gandhi requested Gogte to arrange a visit to the mills, the mills' workers went on strike. By 1990, the Gogte Textile Mills was one of the largest exporters of textile goods in Karnataka.
- International Commerce. 71. University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign: Bureau of International Commerce. July 1965. p. 38. Search this book on
- Mining, Maharashtra (India) Directorate of Geology and (1961). Administration Report of the Directorate of Geology and Mining for the Year ... University of California: Director, Government Printing and Stationery. p. 49. Search this book on
- The Mysore Gazette (4 ed.). Mysore State: University of California. 1963. p. 714. Search this book on
- Shrivastava, Rina (2006). Mining and Metallurgy in Ancient India. University of Michigan: Munshiram Manoharlal Publishers. p. 30. ISBN 978-81-215-1009-7. Search this book on
- Lok Rajya (24 ed.). University of California: Directorate-General of Information and Public Relations. 1968. p. 31. Search this book on
- Kamath, M. V. (1991). The Makings of a Millionaire: A Tribute to a Living Legend, Raosaheb B.M. Gogte, Industrialist, Philanthropist & Educationist. Jaico Publishing House. pp. 78–110. ASIN B0000CQNU1. OCLC 25633742. Search this book on
- Barve, D. K. (1982). सागरमेघ: बा. म. ऊर्फ रावसाहेब गोगटे यांचा भैतिक व आत्मिक आविष्कार [Sagarmegh: The Physical and Spiritual Invention of B. M. "Raosaheb" Gogte] (in Marathi). Mumbai: Bombay Book Ḍepot. pp. 89–227. OCLC 12024875.CS1 maint: Unrecognized language (link) Search this book on
- Mines, India Dept of (1962). Report of the Chief Inspector. University of California. p. 280. Search this book on
- Karkaria, Bachi J. (1992). Dare to Dream: A Life of Rai Bahadur Mohan Singh Oberoi. Penguin. p. 129. ISBN 978-0-670-84723-5. Search this book on
- Division, Hindustan Steel, ltd Statistics (1966). Statistics for Iron and Steel Industry in India. University of California: Hindustan Steel Limited. p. 176. Search this book on
- Indian Steel Age (7 ed.). University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign: S.K. Bhanot. 1967. Search this book on
- "Gogte Mines Private Limited". Zauba Corp. Retrieved 31 July 2021.
- Indian Export Directory: With Foreign Section. 5. University of Michigan. 1972. p. 214. Search this book on
- Capital: A Weekly Journal of Commerce, Industry, and Finance. University of Michigan. July 1973. p. 1640. Search this book on
- Roy, Bhabesh Chandra (1973). Indian Mineral Resources, Industries, and Economics. University of Michigan: Editions Indian. pp. 409, 619. Search this book on
- Principal Producers of Major Minerals in India. University of Michigan: Mining & Minerals Statistics Division, Indian Bureau of Mines, Ministry of Steel & Mines, Department of Mines. 1999. p. 10. Search this book on
- Sousa, J. P. De (1968). Chemical Age of India. University of Michigan: Technical Press Publications. p. 102. Search this book on
- Eastern Economist. University of Michigan: R.P. Agarwala. 1965. p. 1010. Search this book on
- Alexander, T. M. (1966). Proceedings (447 ed.). Cornell University: Fertiliser Association of India. Search this book on
- Sabha, India Parliament Lok (1967). Lok Sabha Debates. University of Michigan: Indian Parliament. p. 9929. Search this book on
- Industries, Maharashtra (India) Directorate of (1964). Industrial Bulletin. University of California. p. 141. Search this book on
- Sabha, India Parliament Rajya (1967). Parliamentary Debates: Official Report. University of Michigan: Council of States Secretariat. p. 545. Search this book on
- Indian Mining Directory. University of Michigan: Mining, Geological, and Metallurgical Institute of India. 1989. p. 50. Search this book on
- "Gogte Minerals Private Limited". Zauba Corp. Retrieved 31 July 2021.
- ltd, British Sulphur Corporation (1967). World Fertilizer Atlas, 1967. Cornell University: British Sulphur Corporation. p. 64. Search this book on
- Li, Jian; Zhang, Mingming; Li, Bowen; Monteiro, Sergio Neves; Ikhmayies, Shadia; Kalay, Yunus Eren; Hwang, Jiann-Yang; Escobedo-Diaz, Juan P.; Carpenter, John S.; Brown, Andrew D. (23 January 2020). Characterization of Minerals, Metals, and Materials 2020. Springer Nature. p. i. ISBN 978-3-030-36628-5. Search this book on
- Mineral Research. University of Minnesota: Directorate of Geology and Mining, and Groundwater Development. 1990. p. 4. Search this book on
- Sabha, India Parliament Lok (2001). Lok Sabha Debates. University of Virginia: Indian Parliament. p. 71. Search this book on
- Karnataka State Gazetteer (1 ed.). Office of the Chief Editor, Karnataka Gazetteer Department, Government of Karnataka. 1982. p. 217. Search this book on
- "Gogte Infrastructure Development Private Limited". Zauba Corp. Retrieved 31 July 2021.
- Karnataka State Gazetteer: Belgaum. Karnataka: Director of Print, Stationery and Publications at the Government Press. 1987. pp. XI, 344, 1012. Search this book on
- Rutnagur, Sorabji M. (1984). The Indian Textile Journal. Cornell University: Business Press. p. 133. Search this book on
- ISI Bulletin. University of Virginia: Indian Standards Institution. 1963. p. 366. Search this book on
- List of Textile Mills on the Register of Textile Commissioner as on 31st March 1990. University of Michigan: Indian Cotton Mills' Federation. 1991. p. 91. Search this book on
- Information, Centre for Economic & Marketing (1992). Directory of Indian Textiles Exporters & Importers. University of Michigan: Centre for Economic & Marketing Information. pp. 5, 199. Search this book on
Others articles of the Topics India AND Asia : P. N. Gadgil Jewellers, India, Sheetal Agashe, Maharashtra, India
Others articles of the Topics Asia AND Business : P. N. Gadgil Jewellers, Sheetal Agashe
Others articles of the Topics India AND Business : P. N. Gadgil Jewellers, RedSeer Management Consulting, Sheetal Agashe
Others articles of the Topic India : Mr. Rajkumar, Radisson Blu Hotel Chennai, Rabindranath Tagore, Bachelor in Homoeopathic Medicine & Surgery, Uttar Pradesh, SHOPX, Budge Budge Thermal Power Station
Others articles of the Topic Asia : E-Dostluk, East Asia, East Turkistan Government in Exile, North Korea–United States proxy conflict, Hejaz, Arab–Iranian conflict, 2020 United Arab Emirates explosions
Others articles of the Topic Business : Keith Gill, Donald Trump (born 1946), Sheetal Agashe, Alex Cheatle, LinkedIn, Huptech Web, Handigeni Digital Innovations
Category:Indian brands Category:Conglomerate companies established in 1957 Category:Companies based in Karnataka Category:Indian companies established in 1957 Category:Metal companies of India Category:Iron ore mining companies of India Category:Mining companies of India Category:Textile companies of India Category:Chemical companies of India Category:Fertilizer companies of India
Changes implemented as discussed
This article, Gogte Group, has recently been created via the Articles for creation process. The reviewer is in the process of closing the request, and this tag should be removed soon.
Script error: No such module "AfC submission catcheck".
This article "Gogte Group" is from Wikipedia. The list of its authors can be seen in its historical and/or the page Edithistory:Gogte Group. Articles copied from Draft Namespace on Wikipedia could be seen on the Draft Namespace of Wikipedia and not main one.