Hanan Mohamed Abdelrahman
Life and career[edit | edit source]
Abdelrahman is originally from Egypt, where her father was an engineer and her mother was a banker. She came to Norway with her husband, a Sudanese immigrant to Norway, in 2002. She has a master's degree in mathematics education, and is a teacher at Lofsrud Skole, a secondary school near Oslo.
Contributions[edit | edit source]
Abdelrahman's school has many immigrant students of varying backgrounds. Abdelrahman provides them with mathematical games, puzzles, and videos as well as the more traditional coursework of mathematics. She takes the point of view that with individual attention all her students should be able to learn mathematics, and that all should be equally challenged.
Abdelrahman is the author of a Norwegian-language book, Mattehjelperen - Leksehjelp for foreldre og elever på ungdomsskolen, aimed at getting parents to help students with mathematics, and the founder of an online web site for assisting students with mathematics. She is also a member of a national committee to investigate the effects of gender differences on school outcomes.
Prize[edit | edit source]
The Holmboe Prize, which Abdelrahman won in 2017, is an annual award for the top mathematics teachers at the primary and secondary school level in Norway, given by the Norwegian Mathematics Council. It is presented in conjunction with the Abel Prize, whose 2017 winner was Yves Meyer. The Holmboe Prize is named after Norwegian mathematics teacher Bernt Michael Holmboe, the teacher of Niels Henrik Abel. It offers a prize of 100,000 Norwegian krone to be split between its winner and the winner's school.
References[edit | edit source]
- Hanan Mohamed Abdelrahman tildeles Holmboeprisen (in Norwegian), Abel Prize foundation, May 22, 2017CS1 maint: Unrecognized language (link)
- Kristiansen, Cornelia (April 27, 2017), "Vinner av Holmboeprisen 2017: - Hanan Mohamed Abdelrahman (36) får superlærerpris", Dagbladet (in Norwegian)CS1 maint: Unrecognized language (link)
- Skjong, Hans (November 19, 2017), "Abdelrahman: - Jeg prøver først og fremst å få elevene til å tenke selv", Utdanning (in Norwegian)CS1 maint: Unrecognized language (link)
- Dundas, Bjørn Ian; Skau, Christian (September 2017), "Interview with Abel Laureate Yves Meyer", EMS Newsletter: 14–22. Reprinted in Notices of the American Mathematical Society, Vol. 65, No. 5, May 2018, pp. 520–529.
- Ekeland, Eli (January 3, 2019), Mattehjelperen (in Norwegian), Lunde skole, retrieved 2019-02-25CS1 maint: Unrecognized language (link)
- Katrine Løken appointed member of expert committee on gender differences in school, NHH Centre for Experimental Research on Fairness, Inequality and Rationality, August 31, 2017, retrieved 2019-02-25
- Manne, Per (May 21, 2004), Holmboeprisen (in Norwegian), Norwegian Mathematics CouncilCS1 maint: Unrecognized language (link)
This article "Hanan Mohamed Abdelrahman" is from Wikipedia. The list of its authors can be seen in its historical and/or the page Edithistory:Hanan Mohamed Abdelrahman. Articles copied from Draft Namespace on Wikipedia could be seen on the Draft Namespace of Wikipedia and not main one.