In France Michelle is a Man's Name
In France Michelle is a Man's Name is a 2020 short film written and directed by Em Weinstein. This 12-minute film is set against the backdrop of the American West and explores fatherhood, rituals of male bonding, and what it means to identify as a trans man in contemporary America. The film premiered at Outfest in September 2020 and won the Grand Jury Prize    for U.S. Narrative Short. The film has screened at New Orleans Film Festival, AFI Fest, NewFest, Durango Independent Film Festival, image+nation, and NewFilmmakers. The film screened at Slamdance in February 2021. Due to its Grand Jury Prize win, In France Michelle is a Man's Name, entered into the pool of Academy Award-qualifying short films. Six directors of films from this pool, including Em Weinstein, were interviewed as part of the 'Oscars Contenders Showcase' hosted by TheWrap and ShortsTV on February 2, 2021.
- Ari Damasco as Michael
- Jerry Carlton as Dad
- Olga Sanchez as Mom
- Tim Blough as Trucker
- Dan Vhay as Bouncer
- Genna McCallister as Tatiana
- Neil Green as Jeff
- Miss Prys as Georgia
In France Michelle is a Man's Name was filmed in The Dalles and Portland, Oregon. The film was created by a group of trans, female and queer filmmakers.
The film has received several accolades outside of its Grand Jury Prize win at Outfest. Awards Daily listed it as one of the "best 20 films from Outfest," Free the Work interviewed writer/Director Em Weinstein and star Ari Damasco, and Film Threat listed the film as "socially-relevant." Director Em Weinstein has been interviewed about their work on this film by shots and The Portland Tribune
- "Outfest Los Angeles 2020 Award Winners". Outfest. Outfest.
- "Outfest Announces 2020 Winners and Surprise 'Encore Week'". Advocate.
- "'In France, Michelle Is a Man's Name' Wins Outfest Grand Jury Prize for U.S. Narrative Short". Little Black Book.
- "'OSCARS CONTENDERS SHOWCASE: NIGHT 2". YouTube.
- "Filmmaker Focus: Em Weinstein". Panavision. Panavision. Retrieved 1 February 2021.
- "The Best 20 Films From Outfest 2020". AwardsDaily. AwardsDaily. Retrieved 1 February 2021.
- "Imagining New Masculinities". Free The Work. Free The Work. Retrieved 1 February 2021.
- "4 Socially-Relevant Oscar-Qualified Short Films". Film Threat. Film Threat. Retrieved 1 February 2021.
- Codega, Linda. "Em Weinstein's queer homecoming". shots. shots. Retrieved 2 October 2020.
- Vondersmith, Jason. "Filmmaker with Oregon roots celebrates diversity trend". The Portland Tribune. The Portland Tribune. Retrieved 15 September 2020.
This article "In France Michelle is a Man's Name" is from Wikipedia. The list of its authors can be seen in its historical and/or the page Edithistory:In France Michelle is a Man's Name. Articles copied from Draft Namespace on Wikipedia could be seen on the Draft Namespace of Wikipedia and not main one.