Itay Neeman (born 1972) is a set theorist working as a professor of mathematics at the University of California, Los Angeles. He has made major contributions to the theory of inner models, determinacy and forcing.
Early life and education
Neeman was born in 1972 in Safed, Israel. After studying mathematics at King's College London and the University of Oxford, he earned his Ph.D. at the University of California, Berkeley, in 1996, under the supervision of John R. Steel.
Neeman won a CAREER Award in 2001. He was an invited speaker at the International Congress of Mathematicians in 2006. In 2012, the Simons Foundation named Neeman as one of their Simons Fellows, in the inaugural year of the Simons Fellows program.
In 2019 he was awarded the Hausdorff Medal, by the European Set Theory Society. The award cited three of his papers for their work on "iterating forcing using side conditions and the tree property" as having been the most significant contribution to set theory in the previous five years.
- Neeman, Itay (2004), The determinacy of long games, De Gruyter Series in Logic and its Applications, 7, Berlin: Walter de Gruyter, doi:10.1515/9783110200065, ISBN 3-11-018341-2.
- Neeman, Itay (2014), "Forcing with sequences of models of two types", Notre Dame Journal of Formal Logic, 55 (2): 265–298, doi:10.1215/00294527-2420666, MR 3201836. One of the papers cited for Neeman's Hausdorff Medal.
- Neeman, Itay (2014), "The tree property up to ", The Journal of Symbolic Logic, 79 (2): 429–459, doi:10.1017/jsl.2013.25, MR 3224975. One of the papers cited for Neeman's Hausdorff Medal.
- Neeman, Itay (2017), "Two applications of finite side conditions at ", Archive for Mathematical Logic, 56 (7–8): 983–1036, doi:10.1007/s00153-017-0550-y, MR 3696074. One of the papers cited for Neeman's Hausdorff Medal.
- "Itay Neeman", Faculty, UCLA Mathematics, retrieved 2021-01-29
- "The Hausdorff Medal", European Set Theory Conference 2019, European Set Theory Society, retrieved 2021-01-29
- "Itay Neeman, Ph.D.", Fellows, Berlin Institute for Advanced Study, 2005, retrieved 2021-01-29
- Itay Neeman at the Mathematics Genealogy Project
- "2001 CAREER Awards Made" (PDF), Mathematics People, Notices of the American Mathematical Society, 49 (1): 42, January 2002
- "Neeman, Itay", ICM Plenary and Invited Speakers, International Mathematical Union, retrieved 2021-01-30
- "Simons Foundation" (PDF), New York Times (Paid advertisement congratulating Simons Fellows), March 6, 2012
- Reviews of The determinacy of long games: Benedikt Löwe (2005), MR2111287; Jörg D. Brendle, Zbl 1076.03032; Andrés Eduardo Caicedo (2006), Bull. Symbolic Logic, JSTOR 4617268
- Home page at UCLA
This article "Itay Neeman" is from Wikipedia. The list of its authors can be seen in its historical and/or the page Edithistory:Itay Neeman. Articles copied from Draft Namespace on Wikipedia could be seen on the Draft Namespace of Wikipedia and not main one.