Jewish Care (Australia)
Some of this article's listed sources may not be reliable. (March 2018) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Jewish Care is a communal organisation for the Jewish population of Victoria. They run several aged care facilities for the Jewish community, and also provide services to help people in poverty, disability services and rehabilitation and respite.
History[edit | edit source]
The presence of an organization to act as communal safety net began in Victoria in 1948 with the establishment of the Melbourne Jewish Philanthropic Society.
In 1936 they changed their name to the Australian Jewish Welfare Society, and changed again in 2001 to Jewish Care after they merged with Montafoire Homes, the largest Jewish aged care facility in Victoria.
Activities[edit | edit source]
Controversy[edit | edit source]
Jewish care has faced a number of negative and controversial issues in its recent history.
In 2012, the families of residents at Munzer House accused Jewish Care of substandard care towards the residents in what was supposed to be a premium care facility. The claims stemmed from staff and budget cuts at the facility. Some of the examples of the problematic care was the rationing of sanitary pads, failing to look after the religious needs of the residents and leaving residents waiting to go to the toilet for up to an hour. The claims of neglect and even abuse, soon extended to other care facilities that were run by Jewish Care, including banning family members and serious neglect of the elderly residents. Some of the families contacted the Victorian Equal Opportunity and Human Rights Commission regarding the care at the facilities.
In 2015, the long time General Manager of Cultural & Spiritual Services, Meir Shlomo Kluwgant, was forced to resign following an abusive text message that he sent calling the father of a victim of sexual abuse a "lunatic".
In 2016, Jewish Care operated a confidential phone line to assist the Yeshiva Centre in their redress scheme for the victims of sexual abuse by the centre. The name of at least one of the victims was leaked by a board member of Jewish Care to the board of the Yeshiva Centre, leading to the bullying and intimidation of the victim in question.
References[edit | edit source]
This article "Jewish Care (Australia)" is from Wikipedia. The list of its authors can be seen in its historical and/or its subpage Jewish Care (Australia)/edithistory. Articles copied from Draft Namespace on Wikipedia could be seen on the Draft Namespace of Wikipedia and not main one.
- G, Paul. "Jewish Care Victoria - Residential Aged Care, Community and Disability Services". Jewish Care Victoria. Retrieved 2018-03-07.
- "Gary Smorgon House". Aged Care Guide. Retrieved 2018-03-07.
- "Mark & Dina Munzer Community Residence - Caulfield, VIC". DailyCare - Find the right care at the right time. Retrieved 2018-03-07.
- "Jewish Care In-Home Services". Aged Care Guide. Retrieved 2018-03-07.
- "Izzy Abrahams opens kosher cafe Spot On Ripponlea with help from Jewish Care".
- "History | Maccabi VIC All Abilities". www.maccabi.com.au. Retrieved 2018-03-07.
- "Jewish Community Support Networks - JEMP". JEMP. Retrieved 2018-03-07.
- "Jewish Care's $180 million strategy - The Australian Jewish News". The Australian Jewish News. 2014-12-09. Retrieved 2018-03-07.
- "Jewish Care awards $85million for new building". J-Wire. 2017-05-19. Retrieved 2018-03-07.
- Butler, Ben (2012-11-11). "Munzer House rejects claims its care is below standard". The Age. Retrieved 2018-03-07.
- "Jewish Care under fire - The Australian Jewish News". The Australian Jewish News. 2012-10-26. Retrieved 2018-03-07.
- Lee, Jane (2013-11-14). "Jewish Care to investigate child sex abuse claims". The Age. Retrieved 2018-03-07.
- "Jewish Care investigates new child abuse allegations". 2013-11-14. Retrieved 2018-03-07.
- "Rabbi Kluwgant resigns from Jewish Care". J-Wire. 2015-02-16. Retrieved 2018-03-07.
- "Rabbi Kluwgant resigns - The Australian Jewish News". The Australian Jewish News. 2015-02-19. Retrieved 2018-03-07.
- "Yeshivah Centre abuse victims fear bullying, intimidation, by Timna Jacks, Age (February 9, 2016)". www.bishop-accountability.org. Retrieved 2018-03-07.
- "Jewish Care, The Age: victim speaks". J-Wire. 2016-02-12. Retrieved 2018-03-07.