John Eaton Tourtellotte
John Eaton Tourtellotte (July 3, 1833 – July 22, 1891) was an American Union brevet brigadier general during the period of the American Civil War. He received his appointment as brevet brigadier general dated to March 13, 1865.
Tourtellotte was born on July 3, 1833, in either Windham, Connecticut, or Thompson, Connecticut. He attended Brown University and studied law at New York state's Albany Law School. After pursuing his education, he moved to Mankato, Minnesota. When the Civil War began, he served as a private and a captain in the 4th Minnesota Volunteer Infantry Regiment. On September 1, 1862, he was promoted to lieutenant colonel. On October 5, 1864, he was promoted to colonel. During the war, he participated in the Siege of Vicksburg. On October 5, 1864, he was wounded in the Battle of Allatoona in Georgia. He recovered to participate in Sherman's March to the Sea and the Battle of Bentonville.
After the war, Tourtellotte entered the army again, serving as colonel and aide-de-camp for William Tecumseh Sherman from January 1, 1871, until February 8, 1884. He finally retired from the army on March 20, 1885. Tourtellotte died on July 22, 1891, and was buried at Arlington National Cemetery.
Others articles of the Topic American Civil War : Zesch's Militia Battery Kansas Light Artillery, Orlow Smith, George Right Smith, 31st Kentucky Infantry Regiment, Jack Skelly, Luis F. Emilio, Van Spence
Some use of "" in your query was not closed by a matching "".Some use of "" in your query was not closed by a matching "".
- List of American Civil War brevet generals (Union)
- The Photographic History of the Civil War: Three Volumes in One. New York: Random House Value Publishing, Inc. 1983. p. 314. 0-517-20155-0. Search this book on
- Samuel Hart, ed. (1917). Encyclopedia of Connecticut Biography: Genealogical-Memorial Representative Citizens, Volume 4. Boston: The American Historical Society. p. 38. Search this book on
- "John Eaton Tourtellotte: Brigadier General, United States Army". Retrieved 2020-02-10.
- John Eaton Tourtellotte at Find a GraveLua error in Module:WikidataCheck at line 23: attempt to index field 'wikibase' (a nil value). (buried at Arlington National Cemetery)
- John Eaton Tourtellotte at Find a GraveLua error in Module:WikidataCheck at line 23: attempt to index field 'wikibase' (a nil value). (2nd gravestone at Tourtellotte Cemetery in Thompson, Connecticut)
|This article about a person of the American Civil War is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
This article "John Eaton Tourtellotte" is from Wikipedia. The list of its authors can be seen in its historical and/or the page Edithistory:John Eaton Tourtellotte. Articles copied from Draft Namespace on Wikipedia could be seen on the Draft Namespace of Wikipedia and not main one.