This article contains text that is written in a promotional tone. (June 2021) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
John Shoffner (born 27 July 1955 in Fairbanks, Alaska) is an American racing driver, investor, and pilot. In May 2021, he was selected by Axiom Space to pilot the SpaceX Dragon 2 on Axiom Mission 2.
Shoffner was born on 27 July 1955 in Fairbanks, Alaska. He spent most of his career in Knoxville, Tennessee.
Before creating his own motorsports team J2-Racing in 2012, Shoffner was a businessman. He had a 21-year career in Kentucky-based telecommunications manufacturer Dura-Line. He retired as president in 1997.
Shoffner, an air show pilot, has over 8,500 flight hours in fixed-wing aircraft, decommissioned military aircraft, and helicopters. Shoffner owns Republic P-47D Thunderbolt "Wicked Wabbit".
As an athlete, Shoffner has many years of competition in multiple sports including water skiing, cycling (crossing the U.S. in 18 days without support), white water kayaking, hang gliding, and making over 3,000 skydives and base jumps.
Shoffner competes in Nürburgring 24 Hours. In 2016 he finished 19th overall and second in his class (SP7) with a Porsche 991 GT3 Cup. In 2017 he finished 32nd overall and third in his class (SP7) with a Porsche 991 GT3 Cup.
Shoffner has competed with Team GetSpeed since the 2019 VLN Series, driving a Mercedes-AMG GT. He finished in 13th place in 2019 and 10th in 2020.
Shoffner was second in the 2019 Nürburgring Endurance Series Carrera Cup Class Championship. He holds a total of three in-class victories in the Carrera Cup Class.
Shoffner is scheduled to fly as pilot of the SpaceX Dragon 2 on Axiom Mission 2 with Peggy Whitson as commander, as announced on 25 May 2021. The mission will occur in fall 2022. He is also the back-up pilot of Axiom Mission 1.
During their week-long mission, Shoffner and Whitson will conduct single-cell genome sequencing demonstrations on the International Space Station for 10x Genomics.
- "Axiom announces Ax-2 mission commander and pilot". Axiom Space. Retrieved 2021-06-03.
- "A Champion Race Car Driver Will Pilot Axiom's Second Crewed Mission". A Champion Race Car Driver Will Pilot Axiom’s Second Crewed Mission - Supercluster. Retrieved 2021-06-03.
- "Team – J2 Racing". Retrieved 2021-06-03.
- Fraser, Jill Andresky (1990-01-01). "Plans to Grow By, Strategic Planning Article". Inc.com. Retrieved 2021-06-03.
- "Republic P-47D Thunderbolt "Wicked Wabbit"". Tennessee Museum Of Aviation. Retrieved 2021-06-03.
- "John Shoffner trotzt Schmerzen: Vier Rennrunden mit Schulterproblemen". Motorsport-Total.com (in Deutsch). Retrieved 2021-06-03.
-  24h Rennen Result Official.
- Magazine, Speedsport. "John Shoffner: Rennfahrer-Biographie - Karriere und Erfolge". www.speedsport-magazine.de (in Deutsch). Retrieved 2021-06-03.
- "GetSpeed Performance has big goals in 2021 - an interview with Adam Osieka". lsr-freun.de. 23 December 2020. Retrieved 25 January 2021.
- "John Shoffner (US)". www.gtopen.net. Retrieved 2021-06-03.
- "Peggy Whitson, America's most experienced astronaut, to lead commercial flight to space station". www.cbsnews.com. Retrieved 2021-06-03.
This article "John Shoffner" is from Wikipedia. The list of its authors can be seen in its historical and/or the page Edithistory:John Shoffner. Articles copied from Draft Namespace on Wikipedia could be seen on the Draft Namespace of Wikipedia and not main one.