Keith Henry Marsham 1868-1955 was an 8 goal handicap champion polo player, umpire, and author, brother of Lt.Col. Hubert Wheeler Marsham who was himself a 6 goal champion polo player and cricketer Walter Marsham.
Trophies[edit | edit source]
Marsham was umpire of the International Polo Cup also known
Career[edit | edit source]
Keith Marsham held the position of Secretary at the Khedivial Sporting Club of Cairo. He was polo manager at Piping Rock Long Island U.S.A, and several clubs in Egypt and Europe. While manager of Madrid polo club Marsham gave riding and polo lessons to King Alfonso XIII of Spain.
A large painting by Henry F Lucas-Lucas painted 1900 and titled A Game of Polo at Rugby, shows Marsham riding the pony Tom Tiddler during a chukka.
Biography[edit | edit source]
Born 30th April 1868 at Mote House, Mote_Park, Maidstone, England. Keith Henry Marsham was the eldest of the 11 children (5 boys & 6 girls) of the Rev. Hon.John Marsham and Penelope Jane Hume . He was nephew of the 4th Earl of Romney, brother of Lady Cullen of Ashbourne. Educated St Edward's School, Oxford 1877-1886. From 1887-1903 he was in Behar India as an indigo planter then as a manager of estates. He was a member of the Bihar Light Horse as were 3 of his siblings Lt.Col Cyril Montagu Charles.Marsham D.C.M, Lt.Col Hubert Wheeler Marsham and Walter Marsham. He held the ranks of Sergeant Major,Temporary Captain Remount Depot in the Cawnpore light horse, and in 1916 Lieutenant in the Royal Army Service Corps.He retained the Hon. rank of Lt. on retiring due to ill health November 1918. He married Annie Maud Miller,sister of England polo player, Captain E.D Miller the author of Modern Polo, October 1894, at St Andrew's Rugby, they had no children.   Keith Henry Marsham died 1955.
He was co-author of "An Amateur's guide to gardening in Cairo" with his wife.
References[edit | edit source]
This article "Keith Marsham" is from Wikipedia. The list of its authors can be seen in its historical and/or the page Edithistory:Keith Marsham. Articles copied from Draft Namespace on Wikipedia could be seen on the Draft Namespace of Wikipedia and not main one.
- laffaye, horace. "The Polo Encyclopedia, 2d ed". google books.
- Marsham, Keith. "Person Page". www.thepeerage.com. Retrieved 26 June 2019.
- Laffaye, Horace. The Polo Encyclopedia, 2d ed (2 ed.). p. 84. Retrieved 27 June 2019.
- Raafat, Samir. "GEZIRA SPORTING CLUB MILESTONES, February 10-17, 1996". www.egy.com. Retrieved 25 June 2019.
- EGYPT AND HOW TO SEE IT. NEW YORK: The Platt & Peck Co. 1910. p. 164.
- Marsham, Keith. "The S. Edwards School Chronicle". St Edward's School. Retrieved 27 June 2019.
- Laffaye, Horace A. (23 February 2015). "The Polo Encyclopedia, 2d ed". McFarland. Retrieved 27 June 2019.
- Laffaye, Horace. "Polo in Britain: A History". google books. Mcfarland & Company, Inc.ref=Page 152.
- "The S. Edward's School Chronical". St. Edward's School. Retrieved 26 June 2019.
- "The S. Edward's School Chronical". St Edward's School's Digital Archives. Retrieved 26 June 2019.
- "St. Edwards School Chronical". St. Edwards School Archive. Retrieved 26 June 2019.
- MARSHAM, KEITH. "The National Archives Catalogue Ref: WO 339/28022". The National Archives. Retrieved 30 June 2019.
- "THE LONDON GAZETTE, 4TH MAY,1915" (PDF). Retrieved 26 June 2019.
- Miller, E.D. Moder Polo. ISBN 1473329051.
- Miller, E.D (1902). Modern Polo (2 ed.). Hurst and Blackett, limited. Retrieved 27 June 2019.
- Marsham, Keith. Amateur's guide to gardening in cairo. Nabu Press. ISBN 1178302229. Retrieved 27 June 2019.