Lawrence R. Armstrong
|Lawrence R. Armstrong|
Photo by Ryan Garvin Photography
|🎓 Alma mater||Kent State University|
Architect, Artist, Entrepreneur
Lawrence R. Armstrong is an architect, artist, and current CEO of Ware Malcomb. Established in 1972, the firm has 22 offices throughout the United States, as well as Canada, Panama, and Mexico. Armstrong is a licensed architect in over 45 states and select Canadian provinces. He is a LEED Accredited Professional, and a member of the National Council of Architectural Registration Boards (NCARB). He is the founding chairman of the United To End Homelessness Leadership Council.
Armstrong received a Bachelor of Science degree in Architecture (1979) and Bachelor of Architecture degree (1980) from Kent State University. His study-abroad program in Florence, Italy connected him with the art and architecture represented by the Italian Renaissance. After advancing through the ranks at Ware Malcomb and becoming a shareholder, Armstrong became CEO in 1992.
In 2016, the Lawrence R. and Sandra C. Armstrong Gallery opened at Armstrong’s alma mater within the new College of Architecture and Environmental Design (CAED) building. He designed the traveling Post-9-11 War Memorial, developed with the nonprofit group Welcome Home Troops.
Professional & Charity Affiliations
Armstrong is a founder and board member for various nonprofit and professional organizations. His affiliations include:
- Co-Chair, Kent State University Comprehensive Campaign
- Chair, United to End Homelessness, Orange County United Way
- Past Chair, Kent State University Foundation
- Advisory Board Member, Chapman University Real Estate Program at the Argyros School of Business and Economics
- Member, Ernst & Young EOY Alumni Advisory Council
- Active Member & Sponsor, NAIOP National Forum Member (Trends in Real Estate Development II Forum)
- Active Member & Sponsor, SIOR (Society of Industrial and Office Realtors)
- Advisory Board Member, Space Collective
- Advisory Board Member, UCI Center for Real Estate
- Member, Visiting Committee, Hoag Center for Real Estate & Finance in the Argyros School of Business at Chapman University
- Board of Directors, Orange County United Way and International Executive Council for the Internet Marketing Association (IMA)
- Guest Lecturer for various universities in Southern California including USC Lusk Center for Real Estate, Chapman University, and UCI
- Emertius Board Member, Waymakers
Awards and Honors
- 2019 ATIM Masters Award from ArtTour International magazine
- 2018 Orange County Business Journal’s OC 500 list
- 2015 Sandro Botticelli Prize in Florence, Italy
- 2015 Artavita Certificate of Excellence 11th and 16th Contests
- 2014 Artavita Certificate of Honor 9th Contest
- 2014 ATIM Choice Award
- 2014 & 2005 AIA Honor Award
- 2008 Ernst & Young Entrepreneur of the Year, Orange County/Desert Cities Region and as a national finalist.
- 2007 Community Service Program for Outstanding Devotion to Children at Risk
- 2000-2002 Community Service Program President
- 1993-1996 YMCA Appreciation and Support Plaque
- 1992-1993 YMCA Shawnee Chief Honor
- 1981 Terminal Tower Design Competition Award
- Cleveland Award
- OC Design Community Art Exhibition
- Shaker Square Circle within a Square Design Competition
Awards and recognition from Kent State University:
- 2018 Kent State University Advocacy Award
- 2017 Kent State University Founders Gala
- 2017 Kiss on the K Honorary Couple
- 2013 Kent State University Founders Gala
- 2013 Kent State University Commencement Speaker
- 2007 Kent State University Appreciation for Generosity to the College of Architecture and Environmental Design
- The Herrick Society’s Legacy Circle of Donors Acknowledgement
- "Ware Malcomb Named To Inc. 5000 List Of Fastest-Growing Private Companies In America". PR News Wire. October 2, 2018. Retrieved October 31, 2018.
- "Ware Malcomb Announces New Office, Project Manager". Design Retail Online. October 7, 2016. Retrieved October 31, 2018.
- Silva, Tom (June 29, 2009). "Larry Armstrong: Architecture During a Recession". Alter Group. Retrieved October 31, 2018.
- "We Are United to End Homelessness". United Way OC. March 8, 2018. Retrieved October 31, 2018.
- "Orange County Community Leaders Launch "United to End Homelessness" Initiative; Create Permanent, Meaningful Solutions to Homeless Crisis". Global News Wire. March 1, 2018. Retrieved October 31, 2018.
- Dunn1, Ortiz2, Sam1, Leonard2 (February 26, 2016). "Architect, artist, CEO and family man Lawrence Armstrong". OC Register. Retrieved October 31, 2018.
- Scott, Mark (September 26, 2008). "Seeing is believing". SBN Online. Retrieved October 31, 2018.
- "Ware Malcomb CEO Lawrence R. Armstrong's Artwork Showcased in New York City". Office Insight. March 18, 2017. Retrieved October 31, 2018.
- "Design firm CEO Lawrence Armstrong wins int'l art award". Live Auctioneers. May 30, 2018. Retrieved October 31, 2018.
- "Real estate briefly: Affordable housing community opens at full capacity in Yorba Linda". Orange County Register. March 25, 2017. Retrieved October 31, 2018.
- "Ware Malcomb CEO, Lawrence Armstrong, to exhibit artwork at SOFA Fair". Rejournals. October 22, 2018. Retrieved November 1, 2018.
- "Center for Architectural and Environmental Design". Kent State University. Retrieved October 31, 2018.
- "Ware Malcomb CEO Lawrence R. Armstrong Designs Post 9-11 War Memorial". PR News Wire. July 12, 2017. Retrieved October 31, 2018.
- "Post 911 Memorial". Post 911 Memorial. Retrieved October 31, 2018.
- Puello, Viviana (March 6, 2018). "ArtTour International Magazine is proud to present Lawrence R. Armstrong". Art Tour International. Retrieved October 31, 2018.
- Brajevich, Ruth (June 26, 2015). "Ware Malcomb CEO Lawrence R. Armstrong Wins Botticelli Prize for Art In Florence, Italy" (PDF). LRA Art. Retrieved October 31, 2018.
- Norman, Jan (June 12, 2008). "Regional Entrepreneur of the Year winners revealed". OC Register. Retrieved October 31, 2018.
- "Ware Malcomb CEO Lawrence R. Armstrong Receives Kent State University Advocacy Award". Office Insight. October 20, 2018. Retrieved November 1, 2018.