Light in the Dark (film)
Light in the dark is a 2019 Nollywood movie directed by Ekene Som Mekwunye. It focuses on the external and internal factors that influence a family of three.
Of the film, Mekwunye has stated that they wanted to showcase the impact of rape on a family, women, and rape survivors while also approaching the topic from an angle different from those used by other filmmakers.
The movie was one of the twenty highest grossing films in Nigeria for 15 - 17 February 2019, one of eleven films to place on the list. It grossed 11,180,805 Naira.
|Light in the Dark|
|Directed by||Ekene Som Mekwunye|
|Produced by||Brandi Callum, Chidinma Uzodike, Ekene Som Mekwunye|
|Screenplay by||Babatunde Ojo|
Angel Onyinyechi Unigwe
Richard Kanayo Mekwunye
Maxwell IhuomaMarie Awolaja
|25 January 2019|
Emeka and Jumoke go against the advise of their mothers to build a family because of their love for each other. However, disaster strikes when the family experiences a robbery in which Jumoke agrees to be raped instead of their daughter being raped by the gang leader of the robbers.
Few weeks after the robbery turned rape, Jumoke becomes pregnant after years of failed attempts to conceive. Tensions and tantrums become the daily experience of the family.
Mothers to Emeka and Jumoke both women from different ethnic groups in Nigeria; attempt to profer solutions to the now trethened home in the ways provided by their traditions.
- Kalu Ikeagwu as Emeka
- Rita Dominic as Jumoke
- Bimbo Ademoye as Ifeoma
- Saidi Balogun as Kay
- Ngozi Nwosu as Mama Emeka
- Nonso Odogwu as Police Inspector
- Kiki Omeili as Amina Abubakar
- Joke Silva as Mama Jumoke
Other cast include Big Mickey, Prince Unigwe, Angel Onyinyechi Unigwe, Doddy Abili, Richard Kanayo Mekwunye, Maxwell Ihuoma and Marie Awolaja.
YNaija's Wilfred Okiche reviewed the movie, writing that "Despite some strong performances, especially from Dominic, Silva and Kiki Omeili who plays Jumoke’s supportive neighbor, Light in the Dark feels entirely too tame, especially for a story that delves into some uncomfortable places." Business Day and The Port City News also reviewed Light in the Dark.
- Bada, Gbenga (23 November 2018). "Rita Dominic, Kalu Ikeagwu, Joke Silva feature in new movie 'Light in the dark'". Pulseng. Retrieved 16 November 2020. Unknown parameter
- Anazia, Daniel (1 April 2017). "Joke Silva, Kalu Ikeagwu, Rita Dominic star in 'Light In The Dark'". The guardian ng. Retrieved 16 November 2020. Unknown parameter
- "'Light in The Dark' for victims of rape". The Nation. 2017-04-03. Retrieved 2020-11-19. Unknown parameter
- "Top 20 Films 15th-17th Feb 2019". Cinema Exhibitors Association of Nigeria. Retrieved 2020-11-19. Unknown parameter
- "'Light in the dark' to make cinema debut on January 25". Pulse Nigeria. 2019-01-23. Retrieved 2020-11-19.
- "'Anchor Baby','The Delivery Boy' & 'Light in the Dark' coming to Netflix this May". Pulse Nigeria. 2020-05-08. Retrieved 2020-11-19.
- Okiche, Wilfred (2020-07-27). "Film Review: Rita Dominic and Kalu Ikeagwu find their way through a marriage crisis in Light in the Dark". YNaija. Retrieved 2020-11-19. Unknown parameter
- Dominic, Rita (February 8, 2019). "Movie Review - A Light in the Dark". Business Day. PressReader.com. Unknown parameter
- Uwaeme, Florence (October 2, 2019). "A Review of 'Light in the Dark'". The Port City News. Unknown parameter
This article "Light in the Dark (film)" is from Wikipedia. The list of its authors can be seen in its historical and/or the page Edithistory:Light in the Dark (film). Articles copied from Draft Namespace on Wikipedia could be seen on the Draft Namespace of Wikipedia and not main one.