List of 1998 FIFA World Cup controversies
Here are some of the controversies from the 1998 FIFA World Cup.
Mexico v Belgium
Hugh Dallas sent off Pavel Pardo and Gert Verheyen during the match, decisions which divided opinion. Martin O'Neill and Alan Hansen criticised Dallas, but Trevor Steven thought he performed well. Dallas was also the referee for the quarter final match between Italy and France. More than a decade later, Dallas admitted to surprise and disappointment at being overlooked for the later stages of the competition.
Norway v Brazil
Norway scored a late penalty against Brazil, won through a questionable foul by Junior Baiano. As a result, Morocco - who beat Scotland 3-0, were eliminated, a circumstance many saw as controversial.
Cameroon v Chile
England v Argentina
Beckham was sent off by Nielsen for retaliation to a harsh foul by Simeone. Simeone later admitted to simulating for the referee, and another opponent would accuse him of diving in a later match in the same tournament. Owen also dove to win a penalty converted by Shearer. England also had another goal disallowed.
Netherlands v Yugoslavia
Bergkamp was seen stomping on an opponent in an incident that went unnoticed by the officials. Further action was not taken.
Netherlands v Argentina
Dutch defender Numan accused Simeone of diving to influence the referee to produce the two yellow cards that led to his dismissal. This was the second match Simeone had been (accused of being) involved in such an incident; with it occurring in the previous match as well. Later Ortega butted Dutch goalkeeper Edwin van der Sar (in confrontation over the former's play-acting attempt to draw a penalty), who went down theatrically. Ortega was sent off for this.
France v Croatia
Laurent Blanc was sent off after a skirmish with Croatia's Slaven Bilić. Bilić had sunk down to his knees, seemingly in pain. Replays showed, however, that there was minimal contact between the players. Blanc's expulsion meant he would miss the final.
Ronaldo played in the final despite having suffered a seizure just hours earlier. Three starting lineups were issued, one without and two with the striker.
Zidane was sent off (a straight red) for stomping Khamis al Owairan in the match against Saudi Arabia. This game was one of two matches in the competition with more than a red card; Holland/Agentina was the other.
- Hugh Keevins (1998-06-21). "Whistler Dallas in red card storm". Sunday Mail. Retrieved 2010-06-29.
- Simon Pia (22 June 1998). "Referees ride rash challenges". The Scotsman. Retrieved 5 July 2010.
- Simon Pia (1998-06-22). "BELGIUM MANAGER BACKS DALLAS". The Scotsman. p. 23. Retrieved 2010-06-29.
- "Blood, guts and whistles". Press and Journal. 2008-12-11. Retrieved 2010-06-29.
- American Referee's Call Has Brazil Reeling After The Call, Norway Converted A Penalty Kick To Upset The Defending Champion, 2-1.
- WORLD CUP '98; As Refs Get Tougher, Everyone Else Gets Angrier. New York Times.
- Morocco's unlucky summer in France: The 1998 World Cup
- WORLD CUP '98; A Disputed Call Helps Chile End Frustration, New York Times. By JERE LONGMAN
- Cameroon Official Calls Cup 'Festival of Scandal'. Los Angeles Times, June 25, 1998
- http://ussoccernumbers.wordpress.com/2009/06/26/cameroon-1998-a-profile/ Cameroon 1998: A ProfileJune 26, 2009 Michael Blauvelt
- "Football World Cup 2002: I'd take a dive again to beat England..to lose would be unthinkable; WORLD CUP GROUP F: ENGLAND v ARGENTINA, SAPPORO, KICK-OFF 12.30PM DIRTY DIEGO HAS NO REGRETS.." The Free Library. 2002 MGN LTD 13 Jan. 2016 <a href="http://www.thefreelibrary.com/Football+World+Cup+2002%3a+I%27d+take+a+dive+again+to+beat+England..to...-a086859851</a>
- Simeone public enemy No.1 in England.[dead link] Google cache, Sports Illustrated. Archive @ WayBack Machine, accessed 13 Jan 2015. Posted: Wednesday March 03, 1999 01:03 PM
- Flop, fall, dive: Theatrics to expect during the World Cup
- The 10......best football dives. Sunday 2 November 2003, Observer Sport Monthly.
- Worst Soccer Dives and Flops in World Cup History. By Brad June 12, 2014
- 'I am guilty too': Owen enters diving debate with double World Cup confession. By Darren Lewis, Oct 10, 2012 19:27.
- Your A to Z Brazil 2014 World Cup guide The definitive list of Football World Cup moments. (Q: The Queen.) Last updated 15:23 12/06/2014, Stuff.co.nz.
- Dennis Bergkamp's genius fired Holland past Argentina in the 1998 World Cup... will we see anything like it in Sao Paulo? By Rob Draper, Mail Online. Published: 22:01 GMT, 8 July 2014 | Updated: 08:51 GMT, 9 July 2014.
- Dillon, John. "Cheats Are Plague of World Cup; Says Rangers' Arthur Numan." The Mirror (London, England). MGN Ltd. 1998. HighBeam Research. 25 Aug. 2014 <http://www.highbeam.com>.
- Barnes, David. "Brilliant Bergkamp Gives Argies the Boot; Holland 2 Argentina 1." Sunday Mirror (London, England). 1998. HighBeam Research. (August 25, 2014). http://www.highbeam.com/doc/1G1-60647125.html
- WORLD CUP FEVER - July 4.
- France 1998. Sport24, 2010-05-05 12:12.
- Top 100 World Cup Moments (From the Aussie P.O.V.): 49-Bergkamp Brilliance Wins Holland The Battle of Marseilles (1998), by Dennis Gedling. The Footy Almanac, April 27, 2014.
- Football: The mysterious shadow of the Ronaldo affair. The Independent. David Smith, Friday 07 August 1998.