London Borough of Culture
The London Borough of Culture is a designation given to one of London's 32 boroughs for a period of one year. The aim of the initiative, which is administered by The Greater London Authority, is to build upon the success of the UK City of Culture and European Capital of Culture to develop social, economic and cultural benefits for the chosen borough. The scheme was announced in 2018 by Mayor of London Sadiq Khan. The inaugural holder of the award was Waltham Forest who won for 2019, followed by Brent who were designated London Borough of Culture for 2020.
Alongside the title awards, London Borough of Culture also funds smaller projects across London to support cultural responses to local and social issues, these are called Cultural Impact Awards. For 2019 and 2020, six London Borough's received these awards, Barking and Dagenham, Camden, Kingston, Lambeth, Lewisham and Merton.
Waltham Forest 2019
In January 2019, Waltham Forest launched their year of culture with a three day show in Walthamstow called Welcome to the Forest. This was followed by a year long programme of activities in the borough.
|Year||Winning Borough||Cultural Impact Award boroughs||Date announced|
|2019||Waltham Forest||Barking and Dagenham, Camden, Kingston, Lambeth, Lewisham, Merton||27 February 2018|
|2020||Brent||Barking and Dagenham, Camden, Kingston, Lambeth, Lewisham, Merton||27 February 2018|
|2021||TBC||TBC||11 February 2020|
- "London's first Borough of Culture has announced its 2019 line-up". Time Out London. Retrieved 2019-12-13.
- Morrison, Richard (2019-11-15). "Brent 2020 proves London doesn't need huge public funds to be culturally rich". ISSN 0140-0460. Retrieved 2019-12-13.
- "New Town Culture | LBBD". www.lbbd.gov.uk. Retrieved 2019-12-13.
- "Camden Alive | Love Camden". www.lovecamden.org. Retrieved 2019-12-13.
- "ELEVATE - supporting diverse talent in the creative industries | Lambeth Council". www.lambeth.gov.uk. Retrieved 2019-12-13.
- "Age Against the Machine: Festival of Creative Ageing". I Am Lewisham. 2019-09-13. Retrieved 2019-12-13.
- "Carlos Acosta is making SW19 an offer it can't refuse with a free film festival". Time Out London. Retrieved 2019-12-13.
- Kingsley, Thomas (2019-11-13). "Brent is London's Borough of Culture 2020 - here's 5 things to look out for". getwestlondon. Retrieved 2019-12-13.
This article "London Borough of Culture" is from Wikipedia. The list of its authors can be seen in its historical and/or the page Edithistory:London Borough of Culture. Articles copied from Draft Namespace on Wikipedia could be seen on the Draft Namespace of Wikipedia and not main one.