Manipur State Constitution Act 1947
|Manipur State Constitution Act|
|Territorial extent||Kingdom of Manipur|
|Enacted by||Kingdom of Manipur|
|Date enacted||May 1947|
Manipur State Constitution Act 1947 is an act which enabled Manipur State to have a dejure written constitution enacted by the last Maharajah of Manipur Meidingu Bodhchandra after the end of British rule on 14 August 1947.
The first chapter of the Manipur State Constitution Act 1947 is like a Preamble.Section 3 lays down " All rights,authority and jurisdiction which appertain or are incidental to the Government of such territories,are exercisable by the Maharajah(of Manipur)subject to the Provision of this Act." (Territories mean'territories' for the time being and hereafter vested in the Maharajah and governed by and in name of the Maharajah.)"This," observes Sri Brij Narayan,Hounourable Judicial Commissioner,Manipur,in the case Dr.Ram Manohar Lohia and six other,"mean that the Maharajah agreed to become a Constitutional Ruler".This conclusion is reinforced again in section 9(b) which reads,"The Maharajah mean His Highness the Maharajah of Manipur,the Constitutional Head of the state."The importance and magnitude of these provisions become clear when it is seen what had taken ages in some other country had been achieved in Manipur quite easily.
M.K Priyobarta is the first dejure Chief Minister of the Manipur
With a view of framing a constitution for popular governance of state of Manipur.His Highness,the Maharaja of Manipur announced to the people and addressed the constitution making commitee on 10th March 1947.[non-primary source needed] The first meeting of the committee was held on 24th March 1947,the drafted constitution was passed by the committee on 8th May 1947.[non-primary source needed]
- Somorjit, Wangam (2016-03-01). Manipur: The Forgotten Nation of Southeast Asia. Waba Publications & Advanced Research Consortium. pp. 1–601. ISBN 978-81-926687-2-7. Search this book on
P-6:"Under the Manipur State Constitution Act, 1947 a popular democratic government was formed in independent Manipur"
- Siṃha, Niṃthaukhoṃjama Khelacandra (1975). Manipuri Language: Status and Importance. N. Tombi Raj Singh. pp. 26–50.
With the establishment of a popular Government in Manipur with the Maharaja as the Constitutional Head under the Manipur State Constitution Act 1947 which came into force prior to the 15th August 1947Search this book on
- "Constitution of India". www.constitutionofindia.net. Retrieved 2020-10-29.
- Banerjee, S. K. (1958). "Manipur State Constitution Act, 1947". The Indian Journal of Political Science. 19 (1): 35–38. ISSN 0019-5510. JSTOR 42748891.
- Shyamkanhai, Singh (2020-10-29). "Manipur State Constitution Act 1947". www.dspace.nehu.ac.in. Archived from the original (PDF) on 2020-10-29. Retrieved 2020-10-29. Unknown parameter
- "Wednesday, 14 August 2019 - Imphal Times". www.imphaltimes.com. Retrieved 2020-12-04.
- Nagaland, Post (2020-12-04) [2019-08-14]. "Manipur celebrates 73rd Independence Day". Nagaland Post. Unknown parameter
- All India Reporter. D.V. Chitaley. 1955. pp. 41–46.
Manipur State Constitution Act 1947 were never suppressed nor do they appear to have been at any time attempted to be suppressedSearch this book on
- Himalaya, Lt Gen Konsam (2 March 2017). "CAPTAIN MAHARAJ KUMAR PRIYOBARTA SINGH OF THE ASSAM REGIMENT". Salute. Retrieved 2020-11-02.
Priyabrata Singh, M. K. (1948). Administration Report Of The Manipur State For The Year 1946-47. pp. 3–5. Search this book on
P-3:" With a view to framing a constitution tor the popular Governance of the State of Manipur His Highness made an announcement to the people and addressed the Constitution Making Committee Members on 10-3-47"
Priyabrata Singh, M. K. (1948). Administration Report Of The Manipur State For The Year 1946-47. pp. 2–5. Search this book on
P-2:"The first meeting of the Committee was held on the 24th March, '47.The draft constitution was passed by the Committee on the 8th May, 47.It was a great credit to this Committee that they could in such a short time bring out an agreed constitution.Manipur and her people will owe to them a great debt."
- Governmnt of Manipur (1949). Manipur Gazette, 1949, January-June. pp. 1–5. Search this book on
P-4:"THE MANIPUR STATE GAZETTE JUNE 8th , 1969 [ PART IV )PROCEEDINGS OF THE 22ND SITTING OF THE FIRST SESSION OF THE FIRST MANIPUR STATE LEGISLATIVE ASSEMBLY ASSEMBLED UNDER THE PROVISIONS OF THE MANIPUR STATE CONSTITUTION ACT, 1947."
This article "Manipur State Constitution Act 1947" is from Wikipedia. The list of its authors can be seen in its historical and/or the page Edithistory:Manipur State Constitution Act 1947. Articles copied from Draft Namespace on Wikipedia could be seen on the Draft Namespace of Wikipedia and not main one.