Matilda the Musical (film)
|Matilda the Musical|
|Directed by||Matthew Warchus|
|Screenplay by||Dennis Kelly|
|Music by||Tim Minchin|
|Edited by||Melanie Oliver|
Matilda the Musical (or simply known as Matilda) is an upcoming American-British musical fantasy film directed by Matthew Warchus, written by Dennis Kelly and based on the children's novel Matilda by Roald Dahl and the 2010 musical adaptation of the book. It is also the second film adaptation of the novel, following the 1996 film adaptation directed by and co-starring Danny DeVito.
It is scheduled to be released in the United Kingdom on December 2, 2022, by Sony Pictures Releasing.
A young mistreated, bookworm prodigy attends a school run by an abusive headmistress, and finds a kindred spirit in her teacher, Miss Honey.
- Emma Thompson as Miss Trunchbull
- Lashana Lynch as Miss Honey
- Alisha Weir as Matilda Wormwood
- Stephen Graham as Mr. Wormwood
- Andrea Riseborough as Mrs. Wormwood
- Sindhu Vee as Mrs. Phelps
In June 2013, Tim Minchin said that a film adaptation of Matilda the Musical, based on Roald Dahl's novel Matilda, was in development, which he said it "will probably be made in the next 4 or 5 years". Mara Wilson, who previously starred on the 1996 film adaptation of the novel, expressed interest in making a cameo in the film. On November 15, 2013, it was reported that Matthew Warchus and Dennis Kelly, who served as director and writer, respectively, for the original musical, will return for the film. In November 2019, Danny DeVito said that he "always wanted to" develop a sequel to Matilda, adding that a potential sequel could star Matilda's own child, due to Wilson having grown up after the film's release. On January 28, 2020, it was reported that Working Title Films will produce the film, while Netflix will distribute the film via streaming, and Sony Pictures Releasing, who previously distributed the 1996 film through its TriStar Pictures banner, will handle theatrical and home video exclusively in the UK through the same banner. It was also confirmed that Warchus and Kelly were still involved in the project. Ellen Kane, who worked with choreographer Peter Darling on the stage production, will choreograph.
On May 4, 2020, Ralph Fiennes was cast as Miss Trunchbull. But on January 14, 2021, it was announced that Emma Thompson will play the character instead, with additional confirmations that Lashana Lynch was cast as Miss Honey and Alisha Weir was cast in the title role, after giving what Warchus called "an unforgettable audition." Over 200 children were cast as the rest of the student body of Crunchem Hall. In April 2021 it was announced that Stephen Graham, Andrea Riseborough and Sindhu Vee would be joining the cast as Mr. Wormwood, Mrs. Wormwood and Mrs. Phelps respectively. 
Production for Matilda the Musical was set to take place between August and December 2020 at Shepperton Studios, but was postponed to the spring of 2021 due to the COVID-19 pandemic. The film began principal photography on May 3, 2021 in Ireland.
Matilda the Musical will be released on the streaming service Netflix. In the UK, the film will be theatrically released by Sony Pictures Releasing through its TriStar Pictures banner on December 2, 2022. Sony will also distribute the film's home media release in the UK.
- Masters, Kim (January 28, 2020). "Netflix, Sony Team for 'Matilda' Movie Based on Stage Musical (Exclusive)". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved January 29, 2020.
- Desk, BWW News. "Tim Minchin Reveals Plans for MATILDA US Tour, Film?". broadwayworld.com.
- "Frequently Asked Questions : Mara Wilson Writes Stuff". marawilsonwritesstuff.com.
- Gilbert, Ryan (November 15, 2013). "Tony Winner Dennis Kelly to Pen Screenplay for New Matilda Movie Musical Adaptation". Broadway.com. Retrieved January 29, 2020.
- Danny DeVito "Always Wanted" to Make Matilda 2, Shares Sequel Idea
- Wiegand, Chris (January 17, 2020). "New Matilda movie in works from director of West End musical". Metro UK. Retrieved February 18, 2020.
- Wiseman, Andreas (May 4, 2020). "Ralph Fiennes Attached To Play Miss Trunchbull In Netflix & Working Title's 'Matilda'". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved May 13, 2020.
- "Emma Thompson, Newcomer Alisha Weir to Star in Netflix 'Matilda' Adaptation". The Hollywood Reporter. 2021-01-14. Retrieved 2021-02-02.
- "Matilda - Production Listing". Productionlist.com. March 15, 2021. Retrieved March 16, 2021.
- Earl, William (June 9, 2021). "'Matilda' Musical Film Adaptation Set for U.K. Theatrical Run in 2022". Variety. Retrieved June 9, 2021.
This article "Matilda the Musical (film)" is from Wikipedia. The list of its authors can be seen in its historical and/or the page Edithistory:Matilda the Musical (film). Articles copied from Draft Namespace on Wikipedia could be seen on the Draft Namespace of Wikipedia and not main one.