Milan Opačić (Serbian Cyrillic: Милан Опачић), is a senior basketball coach from Serbia, who is currently the head coach of men and women teams of Tamil Nadu Basketball Association (TNBA). He is also the General Manager of a basketball camp called YUBAC in Belgrade, Serbia..
Coaching career[edit | edit source]
Opačić was involved in training youth in Serbia, at YUBAC, an academy known for churning out the largest contingent of NBA players, after USA
Tamil Nadu Basketball Association[edit | edit source]
Aadhav Arjuna, General Secretary of TNBA, got to know Opačić through a common friend. Having lost 3 finals in the last 8 years (2011-'12, 2014-'15, 2016-'17), in an inspired move, the governing body headed by Aadhav decided to appoint Milan Opačić and Aleksandar Virijevic (Assistant Coach) as the first ever foreign coaches of a State team in India. For the 2018 Senior National Basketball Championship for Men and Women (68th edition), the new coaching staff had 45 days to work with 26 men and 22 women. In that span, the players went through 55 practice sessions and 4 matches, learning positioning and movement of front court from the Serbians.
In a departure from previous campaigns, Opačić opted for restricted minutes among his top players like P Akhilan, Prasanna Venkatesh and Rikin Pethani during group stages. This strategy, while causing discontent among players, paid off in a big way during the closely-fought final, in which Tamil Nadu prevailed over the 29-time Champion, Services, 94-86. It is to be noted that Tamil Nadu (men) finished as a runner-up in the 67th edition in Puducherry. With this win, Tamil Nadu has won a total of 9 Senior National Basketball Championships (Men), since the State's formation.
As the first foreign coach of TNBA, he is also actively involved in spotting talent from the grass-roots level. Also in the pipeline is an academy for the youth, coaches and referees.
Education[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- "Staff YUBAC Basketball Camp". Retrieved 4 February 2018.
- "Serbian Camp produces largest number of NBA players after USA". Retrieved 4 February 2018.
- "Milan Opačić speech ahead of National Championships". Retrieved 4 February 2018.
- "Milan Opačić strategy during 68th National Championships". Retrieved 4 February 2018.
- "Senior National Basketball Championships - Full Tournament History". Retrieved 4 February 2018.
- "Indian Railways (Women) and Tamil Nadu (Men) win 2018 Senior Nationals gold in Chennai". Retrieved 4 February 2018.
- "67th Senior National Basketball Championship for Men and Women". Retrieved 4 February 2018.
- "The first foreign coach of TNBA". Retrieved 4 February 2018.
- "Milan Opacic LinkedIn". Retrieved 4 February 2018.
This article "Milan Opačić" is from Wikipedia. The list of its authors can be seen in its historical and/or the page Edithistory:Milan Opačić. Articles copied from Draft Namespace on Wikipedia could be seen on the Draft Namespace of Wikipedia and not main one.