Nicholas Kao Se Tseien
Nicholas Kao Se Tseien
|Born||15 January 1897|
|Died||11 December 2007|
(aged 110 years, 330 days)
Hong Kong, China
Nicholas Kao Se Tseien, O.C.S.O. (traditional Chinese: 高師謙; simplified Chinese: 高师谦; pinyin: Gāo Shīqiān; 15 January 1897 – 11 December 2007) was a Chinese Catholic priest living in Hong Kong who had been the oldest living Catholic priest and was the oldest ever person to have had a cataract operation according to the Guinness Book of World Records.
Born in Fuzhou, Fujian province, one of four brothers, converted to Roman Catholicism at age 18 while attending a school run by Spanish Dominican friars. Although trained as a teacher and studying law at night, he ultimately decided to become a priest.
His clerical life brought him from China to Taiwan, Malaysia and, finally, Hong Kong. He was a Trappist priest in Our Lady of Joy Abbey (Trappist Haven Monastery) on Lantau Island for more than 30 years.
In 1972 at the age of 75, he was elevated to a high priest abbot position at the Church of the Immaculate Conception. He lived a life of chloistered solitude. Nevertheless, he regularly shared his way to a healthy and long life. His list of "Healthy Seven Nos" was given to visitors and suggested, "no smoking; no anger; no alcohol; no overeating; constant exercise; constant prayer; no rudeness." He was devoted to the Blessed Virgin Mary throughout his life, would say the Rosary many times each day, and built six shrines to her in Taiwan, Mainland China, Malaysia and Hong Kong.
- Mitchell, Justin (8 October 2005). "Priest confesses secrets of longevity". The Standard. Archived from the original on 16 July 2012.
- "Secluded in Lantau Island, the longest-lived Hong Kong native, 110-year-old man died 隱居大嶼山修道 最長壽的香港人110歲人瑞逝世". Apple Daily appledaily.atnext.com (in Chinese). 12 December 2007. Retrieved 27 September 2017.CS1 maint: Unrecognized language (link)
- Reportage at Vatican Radio, January 18, 2007[dead link]
- ""Other Local Church News" Father Gao Shiqian of the Lantau Mountain Monastery, Master Shi Qian, celebrates the 110th birthday 其他本地教會新聞 大嶼山神樂院高師謙神父 感恩祭慶祝一百一十壽辰". Kung Kao Po (in Chinese). Retrieved 5 December 2018.CS1 maint: Unrecognized language (link)
- Hao, Gao (November 26, 2017). "Master's Day, Christ the King's Day, 3849 Recalling Father Gao Shiqian". Retrieved December 4, 2018.
This article "Nicholas Kao Se Tseien" is from Wikipedia. The list of its authors can be seen in its historical and/or the page Edithistory:Nicholas Kao Se Tseien. Articles copied from Draft Namespace on Wikipedia could be seen on the Draft Namespace of Wikipedia and not main one.