This article is an autobiography or has been extensively edited by the subject or by someone connected to the subject. (August 2018) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Northampton, England7 March 1963
Paul Ohren-Bird (born 07 March 1963) is a British rally racing co-driver born in Northampton. In his capacity as a semi-professional rally co-driver, Ohren-Bird has been very successful throughout his rallying career winning rallies in his class and being successful in various championships held in the UK.
Early Years 1986–1994
Ohren-Bird started his career as a successful footballer at Nene Valley Football Club, [1) and then joined his father’s family Shopfitting business as a Shopfitter after successfully gaining his apprenticeship. This gave him the opportunity to enter into the relatively inexpensive motorsport of road rallying in 1986. Ohren-Bird joined a Northampton Motor Club, Blackbird Auto Club [2) as a driver in a Ford Escort,1600cc.
- 1986 Ohren-Bird’s first rally was in the Ford Escort competing on the 12-Car Road Rally Championship with Blackbird Auto Club with Nigel Penn as navigator.
- 1987–1988 Competed with Nigel Penn in the Ford Escort, winning various events.
- 1989 Competed in the John Roan Photography Road Rally NCP Championship with Nigel Penn and won the overall championship.
- 1990–1993 Competed with Nigel Penn on Blackbird Auto Club and Mid Northants Road Rally Championships winning various rounds.
- 1994 Competed on the Mid Northants Road Rally Championship with Nigel Penn in a Vauxhall Astra and won the overall championship.
Between 1986 & 1994, Ohren-Bird organised and marshalled on various road rally events giving him a solid understanding of rally navigation and event management.
Later Years 1995–2017
In 1995 Ohren-Bird decided to swap seats and went down the route of co-driving on special stage events, a decision that proved to be a massive turning point in his rallying career. With various finishes in 1995 and 1996, Ohren-Bird met the criteria and was granted his International Competition Licence in July 1996.
Ohren-Bird has earnt the respect from many drivers and co-drivers in the rallying world as he has competed in and won several national championships in the role as co-driver. With 31 years of competing, he has been competing nationally and internationally with outstanding results and wins in many championships and rallies. Ohren-Bird has competed in many high-profile rallies and he has been a feature on many World, European and UK Championships while captured on Motors TV, Eurosport and Sky Sports TV.
- 1996 Ohren-Bird joined East Midlands Rally Team in August and competed on the famous Network Q RAC Rally [3) with Bill Douglas
- 1997 Competed on first overseas event entering the Rallye Le Touquet
- Pas-de-Calais [4) round of the European Rally Championship
- 1998 Competed on his first Rally Championship - BTRDA Rally Series and finished 3rd in the championship, while winning and runner-up on various rounds
- 1999 Won the Heart of England Rally Championship in an Escort with Bill Douglas
- 2004 Competed on Rally Barbados [5) and Vierhouten Pallets Nederland Rally [6) in Holland competing in a Peugeot 106 S16 Cup Car
- 2008 Left East Midlands Rally Team to set up OB Rallying and Motorsport [7) as director and team co-driver
- 2009 Competed on the REIS MSA British National Championship in a Peugeot with Tim Daltry runner-up in class and 3rd Overall in the Championship. Also won his Class in the Epynt Challenge
- 2016 Competed on the Cotswold Motor Sport Group Stage Rally Championship [8), won the class and 4th Overall
- 2017 Competed his 100th Stage Rally with Jack Didcock in a Peugeot on the Get It Sideways Stages [9), Down Ampney
OB Rallying & Motorsport
In 2008, Ohren-Bird set up OB Rallying & Motorsport after leaving East Midlands Rally Team to concentrate on new ventures, that included training and being an author. Apart from the responsibility for co-driving with OB Rallying & Motorsport, Ohren-Bird undertakes the off and on-event management of the team and liaises with sponsors, national and local media. Furthermore, Ohren-Bird attends local road rallies where he acts as a marshal.
OB Rallying & Motorsport has a site on Facebook that currently has over 5,000 plus likes and has a large following on other social media platforms.
During Ohren-Bird's rallying career he has always felt that he wanted to put something back into rallying and the sport, therefore he has written two books to assist new navigators and co-drivers: -
- Rally Navigation & Co-Driving in Motorsport
- Advanced Rally Co-Driving in Motorsport
Navigator & Co-Driver Training Academy
Ohren-Bird, who is Director of Motorsport at Personal Track Safety Ltd (company delivering nationwide Training & Apprenticeships) has started a navigator and co-driver's academy for youngsters to develop their skills and become experienced and skilled navigators & co-drivers.
Ohren-Bird has designed, developed and implementing formal qualifications through the AoFAQ Awarding Body as there are no formal qualifications available for any new co-driver or navigator. He has designed all the training material, tests and the full qualification specification and structure that covers:
- Level 1 for Road Rallying Navigators
- Level 2 for Co-Drivers who compete on Stage Rallies
- Level 3 for Rally Co-Ordinator's and Rally Team Managers
Results[edit | edit source]
|Championship||Season||Rally Driver||Car||Position Class|
|BTRDA Forest Rally Series||1998||Bill Douglas||Ford Escort||3rd|
|Heart of England
|1999||Bill Douglas||Ford Escort||1st|
|Rally Asphalt 2002||2002||Angela Morris||Peugeot GTI||2nd|
|Get Connected||2003||Angela Morris||Peugeot 106||2nd|
|GPR National||2004||Angela Ohren-Bird||ExamplePeugeot 106||2nd|
|Heart of England
|2006||Bill Douglas||Dahatsui 4x4||3rd|
|REIS BTRDA MSA National||2009||Tim Daltry||Peugeot GTI||2nd|
|Two Wheel Drive Challenge||2009||Tim Daltry||Peugeot GTI||2nd|
|Legend Fires Egypt Challenge||2009||Tim Daltry||Peugeot GTI||1st|
|MSA National Asphalt Rally||2010||Tim Daltry||Peugeot GTI||1st|
|Legend Fires Egypt Challenge||2010||Tim Daltry||Peugeot GTI||3rd|
Heart of England Championship
|2010||Tim Daltry||Peugeot GTI||1st|
|Heart of England Championship||2015||Jack Didcock||Peugeot GTI||1st|
|MSN National Rally Championship||2015/16||Stuart Mead||Ford Escort||4th|
|Cotswold Motor Sport Group Stage Rally||2016||Matt Langford||Ford Fiesta ST||1st|
Notes[edit | edit source]
- Nene Valley Football Club - https://www.clubwebsite.com/nvr - Retrieved 25 April 2018
- Blackbird Auto Club - https://en-gb.facebook.com/Blackbird-Auto-Club-166829269994768/ - Retrieved 25 April 2018
- Network Q RAC Rally - www.at-speed.co.uk/rcenta.htm - -Retrieved 25 April 2018
- Rallye Le Touquet - https://www.ewrc-results.com/final/8601-rallye-le-touquet-pas-de-calais-1997/ - Retrieved 25 April 2018
- Rally Barbados - https://www.ewrc-results.com/final/13554-rally-barbados-2004/ - Retrieved 25 April 2018 6. Vierhouten Pallets Nederland Rally - https://www.ewrc-results.com/final/31876-vierhouten-pallets-nederland-rally-2004/ - Retrieved 25
- OB Rallying and Motorsport - www.obrallying.com/
- Cotswold Motor Sport Group Stage Rally Championship - www.cmsg.co.uk/ - Retrieved 25
- Get It Sideways Stages https://www.ewrc-results.com/final/39128-get-it-sideways-stages-2017/ - Retrieved 25
References[edit | edit source]
- Ohren-Bird, Paul (Author). - Rally Navigation & Co-Driving in Motorsport - https://www.amazon.co.uk/-
- Ohren-Bird, Paul (Author). - Advanced Rally Co-Driving in Motorsport * Paul Ohren-Bird (eWRC–Results) https://www.ewrc-results.com/coprofile.php?p=8592 * Daventry Express Newspaper Report - https://www.daventryexpress.co.uk/sport/rally-duo-look-to-volvo-again-1-1313547 - Retrieved 25 April 2018
- 1998 Final Championship Tables BTRDA - archive.djames.org.uk/1998/btrda.html Retrieved 25 April 2018
- 1999 Woodpecker Result - archive.djames.org.uk/1999/woodpecker/index.html – Retrieved 25 April 2018 * Chronicle & Echo Newspaper Report - https://www.northamptonchron.co.uk/news/racing-to-matrimony-1-903889 - Retrieved 25 April 2018 * Daventry Express Newspaper Report - https://www.daventryexpress.co.uk/sport/angela-in-driving-seat-1-1310099 - Retrieved 25 April 2018 * Paul Ohren-Bird YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIWGGI4aXGgIrIpTgHh17Jg Retrieved 25 April 2018 * Rally Photo - https://www.flickr.com/photos/97502789@N08/30488235181 Retrieved 25 April 2018 Retrieved 25 April 2018
- West Cork Rally 2003 (Sky Sports Rally Fever TV Programme) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0_uNdB9zSg - Retrieved 25 April 2018 * Daventry Express Newspaper Report - https://www.daventryexpress.co.uk/sport/rally-team-shine-1-1313549 Retrieved 25 April 2018 * OB Rallying - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzN9UCoV934 Retrieved 25 April 2018 * Paul Ohren-Bird - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIWGGI4aXGgIrIpTgHh17Jg Retrieved 25 April 2018
[edit | edit source]
- Nene Valley Football Club - nvr - Retrieved 25 April 2018
- Blackbird Auto Club - Retrieved 25 April 2018
- Network Q RAC Rally - Retrieved 25 April 2018
- Rallye Le Touquet - Retrieved 25 April 2018
- Rally Barbados - Retrieved 25 April 2018
- Vierhouten Pallets Nederland Rally - Retrieved 25
- OB Rallying and Motorsport
- Cotswold Motor Sport Group Stage Rally Championship- Retrieved 25
- Get It Sideways Stages - Retrieved 25
- Rally Navigation & Co-Driving in Motorsport: Volume 1
- Advanced Rally Co-Driving in Motorsport Vol 2
This article "Paul Ohren-Bird" is from Wikipedia. The list of its authors can be seen in its historical and/or the page Edithistory:Paul Ohren-Bird. Articles copied from Draft Namespace on Wikipedia could be seen on the Draft Namespace of Wikipedia and not main one.