Professor Afksendiyos Kalangos
|Born||11 September 1960|
Istanbul, Republic of Turkey
|🏫 Education||Istanbul University, Cerrahpasa Faculty of Medicine|
💵 Salary :
|Kalangos Ring, Adult and Paediatric Cardiothoracic Surgery|
Afksendiyos Kalangos (11th September, 1960) is a Turkish-Greek-Swiss Cardiovascular Surgeon. He currently serves as the Chairman of the Department of Pediatric and Congenital Cardiovascular Surgery at Mitera Hospital in Athens and as a full Professor of Pediatric Cardiovascular Surgery at Koc University Hospital in Istanbul, Turkey.  He is the President and founder of the Kalangos Foundation, the President and founder of the Global Forum on Humanitarian Medicine in Cardiology and Cardiac Surgery and the President and co- founder of Global Heart Network. He was the past President of the World Society of Cardiovascular and Thoracic Surgeons in 2014-2015 and is currently the treasurer of the society. He published over 300 articles mainly in different journals of cardiovascular surgery and cardiology. He is also the inventor of the Kalangos biodegradable annuloplasty Ring; the device being used in the repair of the mitral and tricuspid valves especially in children.
Early life, Education & Medical Career
Kalangos was born in Yesilkoy (Agios Stephanos), Istanbul. His family originates from old Phanariote families of Constantinople linked to Alexandre Karatheodori Pasha and Xenophon Zographos Pasha. His father, Konstantin Kalangos, a physician specialized in an Internal Medicine, was well known for providing his medical services to the under privileged residents of his hometown free of charge. Dr Konstantin Kalangos passed away in 2004 and in 2008, a street in Yesilkoy has been named Dr Kalangos Street to honour his name.
He completed his secondary education at Saint Benoit French College in Istanbul in 1978 and he studied medicine at Istanbul University, Cerrahpasa Medical School and graduated in 1984. He later completed his specialization in cardiovascular surgery at Dr Siyami Ersek Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery Training and Research Hospital. He then went on to be trained more in cardiovascular surgery in London by Maghdi Yacoub between 1987-1988 and then in Paris by Alain Carpentier between 1991-1994 and Yves Lecompte between 2000- 2001.. 
In 1994, he started working at Geneva University Hospital where he became the Chairman of the Clinic for Cardiovascular Surgery in 2001 and Director of Cardiovascular Centre in 2011. He was nominated full professor at the University of Geneva and served here until the end of 2015.
In 2016, he started working as Chairman of the Department of Pediatric and congenital Cardiovascular Surgery at Mitera Hospital in Athens Greece, a position which he still holds.
He also serves as a Professor of Pediatric Cardiovascular Surgery at Koc University Hospital in Istanbul, Turkey.
He holds a mini-MBA degree from University of Geneva in Health Management
In 1998, Dr Kalangos founded the charity institution “Coeurs Pour Tous (Hearts for All)”, in 2002, the “Kalangos foundation” in Geneva and in 2011 he co-founded the “Global Heart Network Foundation” in Delaware, USA. Traveling across the globe with his voluntary medical team, he conducts surgery for children who do not have access to adequate local healthcare in low and middle income countries. So far, he and his team have treated over 15.000 children with congenital heart defects in over 20 countries including Georgia, Erythrea, Mozambique, Lebanon, Mauritius, India, Vietnam, China, Serbia, Moldova, Cyprus, Egypt, Algeria, Syria, Nigeria, Cameroun, Marocco, Malaysia, Comoros islands, Madagascar, Kyrgyztan, etc.
Kalangos Foundation is headquartered in Geneva Switzerland and has chapters in Greece and Turkey.
Global Forum on Humanitarian Medicine in Cardiology and Cardiac Surgery
Founded by Dr Kalangos in 2003 in Geneva, Switzerland, the Global Forum on Humanitarian Medicine in Cardiology and Cardiac Surgery aims to share global expertise and the latest technological developments of modern cardiology and cardiovascular techniques by bringing together experts from different parts of the globe.
Developed by Professor Kalangos, the Kalangos Ring is a surgical device used in valve repair for annuloplasty. The ring achieves the surgical correction of the dilated annulus of mitral and tricuspid heart valves and maintains the growth potential of these valves in children by inducing the creation of an autologous fibrous tissue. 
Honours, decorations, awards and distinctions
- Commander of the Order of “St Apostle Andrew ” (Archon Ostiarios) - Patriarchate of Constantinople
- Commander of the Order “Saint Sava ” – Patriarchate of Serbia
- Commander of Setjenke National Order - Serbia
- Commander of the National Order of the Cedar- Lebanon
- Order of Merit- Church of Moldova
- Officer of the Order of the star and key of the Indian Ocean”- Mauritius
- Doctor Honoris causa- University of Mauritius
- Doctor Honoris causa- University of Thrace
- Special Jury Award of “Giuseppe Sciacca”, Vatican
- Pro Bonum Humanus” Award, Prix Galien
- "Paul Harris Award”, Rotary International
- Hellenic Red Cross Highest Distinction of the gold cross with a golden laurel
- Hellenic UNICEF Award
- "Afksendiyos Kalangos - Professor - MITERA HOSPITAL, Marousi - Department of Cardiovascular Surgery". ResearchGate.
- "M.D. Afksendiyos Kalangos". kuh.ku.edu.tr.
- "12th Global Forum on Humanitarian Medicine in Cardiology and Cardiac Surgery & 3rd Euro-Asian Symposium on Paediatric Cardiology and Cardiac Surgery - HYGEIA Hospital". Hygeia.
- "Kalangos Ring - Pediatric Heart Valve Repair For Children". www.heart-valve-surgery.com.
- "Dr. Kostantin Kalangos Sokağı". T24.
- "Afksendiyos Kalangos - CTSNet". www.ctsnet.org.
- "AFKSENDIYOS KALANGOS - The "golden" hands of pediatric cardiac surgery". www.ellines.com.
- www.stephanmignon.com, Stephan MIGNON. "12th Global Forum on Humanitarian Medicine in Cardiology and Cardiac Surgery and 3rd Euro-Asian Symposium of Paediatric Cardiology and Cardiac Surgery,". www.gfhm.ch.
This article "Professor Afksendiyos Kalangos" is from Wikipedia. The list of its authors can be seen in its historical and/or the page Edithistory:Professor Afksendiyos Kalangos. Articles copied from Draft Namespace on Wikipedia could be seen on the Draft Namespace of Wikipedia and not main one.