|Ragnar E. Löfstedt|
|Residence||London, United Kingdom|
|Nationality||United States, Sweden|
|Alma mater||UCLA |
|Known for||Risk Analysis |
The Löfstedt Report on occupational safety and health
|Awards||Chauncey Starr award|
Background[edit | edit source]
Löfstedt grew up in Los Angeles to parents who were professors of medieval languages. With Swedish and American nationality, he is also fluent in German. He worked as a lumberjack on the family ferm in Sweden before attending UCLA. He has a doctorate from the Graduate School of Geography, Clark University, studying with Roger Kasperson (1988-1993).
Löfstedt teaches risk analysis at King's College London. Prior to this, he was a reader at the Centre for Environmental Strategy, University of Surrey where he worked with University of California at Berkeley academic David Vogel. Löfstedt also holds adjunct faculty status at Carnegie Mellon university in the US and Gothenburg in Sweden.  He was at one time adjunct faculty at the Harvard Center for Risk Analysis where he teaches an executive education course.
Personal life[edit | edit source]
Contributions[edit | edit source]
He has worked mainly on risk communication and management. Studies have included renewable energy policy, transboundary environmental issues (acid rain and nuclear power), health and safety, telecommunications, biosafety, pharmaceuticals, the siting of waste incinerators, fuel policy, nuclear waste installations and railways. He aim is to strengthen proactive risk communication, arguing that high regulatory/industry trust results in low public perceived risk.
Professor Löfstedt was appointed by the UK Coalition Government to look at occupational safety and health and in particular, the bureaucracy faced by those self-employed whose work activities do not pose a risk to others. The review, officially entitled Reclaiming Health and Safety For All but often referred to as the Löfstedt Report, was published by the Department for Work and Pensions in 2011.
Most of his books are edited volumes in the Earthscan Risk Society and Policy series, which he edits. He is currently the editor-in-chief of the Journal of Risk Research.
Recognition[edit | edit source]
- Chauncey Starr Award for exceptional contributions to the field of risk analysis under the age of 40, Society for Risk Analysis (2000)
- Fellow of the Society for Risk Analysis (SRA) (2005)
- Outstanding Service Award, Society for Risk Analysis (2006)
Publications[edit | edit source]
- Collier, U, and Löfstedt, R.E. (eds.). 2013. Cases in Climate Change Policy. Political Reality in the European Union. London: Earthscan.
- Löfstedt, R.E. 2011. Reclaiming health and safety for all: an independent review of health and safety legislation. London: Stationery Office. (Cm; vol. 8219)
- Löfstedt R.E. and Boholm A. (eds.). 2009. The Earthscan Reader on Risk. London: Earthscan.
- Löfstedt, R.E. 2005. Risk Management in Post-Trust Societies. London: Palgrave Macmillan.
- Boholm A. and R.E. Löfstedt (eds.). 2004. Facility Siting: Risk, Power and Identity in Land Use Planning. London: Earthscan.
- Linnerooth-Bayer, J., Löfstedt, R.E. & G. Sjostedt. (eds.) 2001. Transboundary Risk Management. London: Earthscan.
- Cvetkovich G. and R.E. Löfstedt (eds.). 1999. Social Trust and the Management of Risk. London: Earthscan.
- Löfstedt, R.E. and L. Frewer (eds.). 1997. The Earthscan Reader in Risk and Modern Society. London: Earthscan.
- Löftstedt, R.E. and Gunnar Sjöstedt (eds.). 1996. Environmental Aid Programmes to Eastern Europe: Area Studies and Theoretical Applications. Avebury Press. Studies in Green Research.
- Löftstedt, R.E. 1993. Dilemmas of Swedish Energy Policy: Implications for International Policymakers. Avebury Press.
See also[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- King's College London (31 March 2015). "Professor Ragnar Löfstedt". King's College London. Retrieved 31 March 2015.
- Cohen, Nick. Comment: The deadly scandal in the building trade, The Observer 29 July 2012
- Louis Wustemann (1 March 2012). "Interview: Professor Ragnar Löfstedt". Health+Safety at Work. Retrieved 14 April 2015.
- Safety and Health Practitioner September 2012
[edit | edit source]
This article "Ragnar Löfstedt" is from Wikipedia. The list of its authors can be seen in its historical and/or the page Edithistory:Ragnar Löfstedt. Articles copied from Draft Namespace on Wikipedia could be seen on the Draft Namespace of Wikipedia and not main one.