Rebecca Chalker (born 1943) is a health writer and women's rights activist who is the author of several books on women's health issues.
Early life and education
Chalker completed a BA in 1966 and an MA in 1975 from Florida State University, Tallahassee. She served in the Peace Corps from 1966 to 1967 as a teacher in Iran at the Tehran School of Social Work.
Chalker was a vocal critic of United States policy towards Iran, and in 1979 she was arrested along with other activists for hanging a "U.S. Imperialism Get Your Bloody Hands Off Iran" banner on the Washington Monument. She traveled to Tehran as a member of the "Send the Shah Back—Hands Off Iran Delegation" in support of the Iranian Revolution and the occupation of the United States embassy in Iran. After her return to the United States, she and Eileen Schnitger (a fellow member of the Feminist Women's Health Center) disrupted the Women's National Powerlifting Championships while wearing "Send the Shah Back" t-shirts.[note 1]
Chalker's books include The Complete Cervical Cap Guide, Overcoming Bladder Disorders, and A Women's Book of Choices: Abortion, Menstrual Extraction, RU-486. She has also written The Clitoral Truth, about genital anatomy and ways to enhance sexual responses.
In 1993, Le Anne Schreiber writes in The New York Times about A Woman's Book of Choices, that "there is one incontrovertible fact of abortion in America: for more than a century, American women's access to safe abortions has been controlled by doctors and legislators. In defiance of that pattern, Rebecca Chalker, an abortion counselor and the author of a number of popular medical books, and Carol Downer, a lawyer and the executive director of the Federation of Feminist Women's Health Centers, have issued a declaration of independence."
Chalker is a professor at Pace University in New York City and continues to lecture on women's health and sexuality issues.
- Chalker, Rebecca (1987). The Complete Cervical Cap Guide. Harper & Row. Search this book on
- Chalker, Rebecca; Whitmore, Kristene E (1991). Overcoming Bladder Disorders: Compassionate, Authoritative Medical and Self-help Solutions for Incontinence, Cystitis, Interstitial Cystitis, Prostate Problems, and Bladder Cancer. Harper Perennial. Search this book on
- Chalker, Rebecca (2010). The Clitoral Truth: The Secret World at Your Fingertips. Seven Stories Press. Search this book on (2nd edition published 2018)
- Chalker, Rebecca; Ani, Ekpenyong (2012). Klitoris. Die unbekannte Schöne (in Deutsch). Berlin Orlanda. Search this book on
- Chalker, Rebecca; Downer, Carol (2014). A Woman's Book Of Choices. Seven Stories Press. Search this book on
- The return of the deposed shah, Mohammad Reza Pahlavi, to stand trial in Iran was one of the key demands of the Iranian students who had occupied the embassy and held its staff hostage.
- Cott, Nancy F. (September 22, 2006). Feminists Who Changed America, 1963-1975. University of Illinois Press. p. 79. ISBN 9780252097478. Search this book on
- Auerbach, Stuart (9 December 1979). "Iran to Form Tribunal To Air 'U.S. Crimes'". The Washington Post. Retrieved 19 April 2021.
- "American Delegation in Iran Blasts U.S. Gov't" (PDF). Revolutionary Worker. 1 (32). 14 December 1979. pp. 1, 6. Retrieved 19 April 2021.
- AP Photo/Sayad (15 December 1979). "Iran Demonstration Riots 1979 U.S. Embassy Takeover". AP Images. Retrieved 19 April 2021.
- "Anti-Shah T-Shirts Get Women Disqualified" (PDF). The Militant. 44 (5). 15 February 1980. pp. 24–25. Retrieved 19 April 2021.
- Kolata, Gina (October 23, 1989). "As New Tactic, Do-It-Yourself Abortions Taught". The New York Times. Retrieved 18 April 2021.
- Schreiber, Le Anne (January 17, 1993). "What Kind of Abortions Do We Want?". The New York Times. Retrieved 18 April 2021.
- Hills, Rachel (December 15, 2015). "6 things that would do more for women's sex drive than 'female Viagra'". The Washington Post. Retrieved 18 April 2021.
- Cassell, Carol (2001). "The Clitoral Truth: The Secret World at Your Fingertips. By Rebecca Chalker. New York: Seven Stories Press, 2000. 256 pp., illustrations, references, resources, glossary, index. Paperback, ISBN 1-58322-059-3, $19.95". Journal of Sex Education and Therapy. 26 (4): 371–373. doi:10.1080/01614576.2001.11074452. Retrieved 18 April 2021.
- Zimmer, Elizabeth (3 February 2004). "Sexual healing: The rise and fall and rise of women's libido". The Village Voice. Retrieved 19 April 2021.
This article "Rebecca Chalker" is from Wikipedia. The list of its authors can be seen in its historical and/or the page Edithistory:Rebecca Chalker. Articles copied from Draft Namespace on Wikipedia could be seen on the Draft Namespace of Wikipedia and not main one.