Regiment University of the Free State
|Regiment University of the Orange Free State|
Regiment University of the Orange Free State emblem
|Part of||South African Army Artillery Corps|
Army Conventional Reserve
|Collar Badge||Bursting grenade with seven flames|
|Beret Colour||Oxford Blue|
|Artillery Battery Emblems|
|Artillery Beret Bar circa 1992|
Regiment University of the Orange Free State was an artillery regiment of the South African Artillery. As a reserve unit, it has a status roughly equivalent to that of a British Army Reserve or United States Army National Guard unit. It was part of the South African Army Artillery Corps.
In the 1950s in South Africa, military units were attached to each large university. The University of the Orange Free State acquired an artillery capability. The concept was for long term students to complete their military training in these units. Training would also be organised so as not to unduly interfere with university work.
Offshoot unit of Regiment University of Potchefstroom
A survey battery sets up the gun line for cannons through determining the horizontal and vertical locations of each piece so that plotting can occur on a firing chart and accurate data correlated. 
Association with Vrystaatse Artillerie Regiment
Students completing their courses were transferred mainly to the Vrystaatse Artillerie Regiment, a citizen force regiment which had a close association with the University.
Amalgamation with 6 Field Regiment
- Crook, Lionel. Regiment Potchefstroom University (PDF). The Gunner, Book 1. p. 28.
- Dictionary of Missile and Artillery Terms, 1982, Major Gener5al AP Bogetskiy, Colonel Kusnetsov, Lieutenant Colonel AP Shapovalov; Chief Editor Lieutenant General of Artillery G Ye Perelel'skiy. Foreign Technology Division Translation FTD-ID(RS)T-1988-80
- The Development of Artillery Tactics and Equipment, Brigadier AL Pemberton, 1950
- "Welcome to the South African Unit Profiles". War in Angola. Archived from the original on 2015-07-07. Retrieved 2019-04-23.
- Otto, W (1983). "UBIQUE - THE GUNNERS OF SOUTH AFRICA". Scientia Militaria. 13 (3): 62–76. doi:10.5787/13-3-552.
- Further reading: Wilsworth, Clive. First In, Last Out: The South African Artillery in Action: 1975–1988. 30 Degrees South. ISBN 978-1-920143-40-4.
- Engelbrecht, Leon (2010-02-09). "Fact file: The SA Artillery". defenceWeb. Retrieved 2019-04-23.
- Gunner's Association
Others articles of the Topic South Africa : Jesuit Institute South Africa, South Africa men's junior national softball team
Some use of "" in your query was not closed by a matching "".Some use of "" in your query was not closed by a matching "".
|This South African military article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
This article "Regiment University of the Free State" is from Wikipedia. The list of its authors can be seen in its historical and/or the page Edithistory:Regiment University of the Free State. Articles copied from Draft Namespace on Wikipedia could be seen on the Draft Namespace of Wikipedia and not main one.