The Astrid Experience
|The Astrid Experience|
|Directed by||Cal Barnes|
|Produced by||John That, Cal Barnes|
|Written by||Cal Barnes|
|Edited by||Kelly Soll|
The Astrid Experience is an upcoming romantic dramedy film written & directed by Cal Barnes and starring Cal Barnes, Lucia Xypteras, and Rob Conroy. The story follows Chase Abbott, a famous young artist in recovery who meets a free spirited-actress, Astrid Stevens.
Plot[edit | edit source]
Chase Abbott is down and out — literally — he’s gone from being on the town’s hot-list of successful, young Hollywood talent, to signing books in the back of a dilapidated bookstore in the valley. To top it all off, the only girl he’s ever truly loved just left him due to a lack of future potential. A mere fall from grace would be putting it mildly, his life is literally falling apart around him, and it gets darker everyday. When Chase is at the breaking-point, he meets a free-spirited young actress named Astrid Stevens.
Cast[edit | edit source]
- Cal Barnes as Chase Abbott
- Lucia Xypteras as Astrid Stevens
- Rob Conroy as Robbie Baker
- Mena Santos as Chels
- Lotus Bech as Emma
- John That as Himself
- Melissa Riso as Lexi
- Caitlin O'Connor as Brianna
- Petrie Willink as Danny
- Brett Colbeth as Jerry Summers
Production[edit | edit source]
Development[edit | edit source]
Barnes wrote a first-draft/outline of a script in 2012 that would later become The Astrid Experience. It was originally meant to be a two-hander for himself and an actress at the time, but the project was shelved until a later date.
Pre-production[edit | edit source]
After multiple attempts to get larger budget features off the ground, Barnes wanted to focus on something tighter that he could have more creative control over. He contacted his friend, musician John That, and they both agreed they wanted to embark upon a second project after collaborating on John That's music video, 'Hippy Girl' (2014), which Barnes directed.[not in citation given] Barnes spent a week re-writing and making additions to The Astrid Experience, infusing seven more years of experience into the script to get it ready for production. Once the script was ready, Barnes casted the film with friends and local talent he auditioned in Los Angeles.
Filming[edit | edit source]
Principal photography for the film lasted approximately two weeks in Los Angeles, California between February and March of 2019. Filming took place at locations around Hollywood, CA and Culver City, CA, including Mulholland Drive, an underground rave, and Mel's Diner. Barnes wrote a tight shooting script and carefully laid out key shots beforehand so he could manage the demanding tasks of both acting and directing while on set.
Post-production[edit | edit source]
The Astrid Experience entered post-production in April 2019. 
References[edit | edit source]
- The Astrid Experience. IMDB. Retrieved September 10th, 2019
- Cal Barnes Official Website. Cal Barnes Official. Retrieved September 12th, 2019
- Barnes, Cal. "SELLING YOUR SCREENPLAY: Actor Turned Writer/Director Cal Barnes Talks About His Latest Feature, The Astrid Experience". Script Magazine (Interview). Interviewed by Ashley Scott. Retrieved 2020-01-12.
- That, John. John That - Hippy Girl (Official Music Video). Retrieved 2020-01-12 – via YouTube.
- Barnes, Cal. "The Selling Your Screenplay Podcast: SYS Podcast Episode 290: Writer/Director Cal Barnes Talks About Launching His Career And How He Eventually Got To His Latest Feature, The Astrid Experience on Apple Podcasts". Apple Podcasts (Interview). Interviewed by Ashley Scott Meyers. Retrieved 2020-01-12.
- Barnes, Cal. "The Sauna interviews". radiopublic.com (Interview). Interviewed by Nica Flores. Retrieved 2020-01-12.
This article "The Astrid Experience" is from Wikipedia. The list of its authors can be seen in its historical and/or the page Edithistory:The Astrid Experience. Articles copied from Draft Namespace on Wikipedia could be seen on the Draft Namespace of Wikipedia and not main one.