The Astrid Experience
|The Astrid Experience|
|Directed by||Cal Barnes|
|Produced by||John That, Cal Barnes|
|Written by||Cal Barnes|
|Edited by||Kelly Soll|
Search The Astrid Experience on Amazon.
The Astrid Experience is an upcoming romantic dramedy film written & directed by Cal Barnes and starring Cal Barnes, Lucia Xypteras, Rob Conroy, Mena Santos, and John That. The story follows Chase Abbott, a famous young artist in recovery who meets a free spirited-actress, Astrid Stevens.
Chase Abbott is down and out — literally — he’s gone from being on the town’s hot-list of successful, young Hollywood talent, to signing books in the back of a dilapidated bookstore in the valley. To top it all off, the only girl he’s ever truly loved just left him due to a lack of future potential. A mere fall from grace would be putting it mildly, his life is literally falling apart around him, and it gets darker everyday. When Chase is at the breaking-point, he meets a free-spirited young actress named Astrid Stevens.
- Cal Barnes as Chase Abbott
- Lucia Xypteras as Astrid Stevens
- Rob Conroy as Robbie Baker
- Mena Santos as Chels
- Lotus Bech as Emma
- John That as Himself
- Melissa Riso as Lexi
- Caitlin O'Connor as Brianna
- Petrie Willink as Danny
- Brett Colbeth as Jerry Summers
Barnes wrote a first-draft/outline of a script in 2012 that would later become The Astrid Experience. It was originally meant to be a two-hander for himself and an actress at the time, but the project was shelved until a later date.
After multiple attempts to get larger budget features off the ground, Barnes wanted to focus on something tighter that he could have more creative control over. He contacted his friend, musician John That, and they both agreed they wanted to embark upon a second project after collaborating on John That's music video, 'Hippy Girl' (2014), which Barnes directed.Barnes spent a week re-writing and making additions to The Astrid Experience, infusing seven more years of experience into the script to get it ready for production. Once the script was ready, Barnes casted the film with friends and local talent he auditioned in Los Angeles.
Principal photography for the film lasted approximately two weeks in Los Angeles, California between February and March of 2019. Filming took place at locations around Hollywood, CA and Culver City, CA, including Mulholland Drive, an underground rave, and Mel's Diner. Barnes wrote a tight shooting script and carefully laid out key shots beforehand so he could manage the demanding tasks of both acting and directing while on set.
The original soundtrack for the film was created by musician John That and music producer Moss Dub, with minor contributions by Academy and Without.
- Patta, Gig.The Astrid Experience Shows an Unforgettable Night in LA. LRM Online. Retrieved February 25th, 2020
- Barnes, Cal. "SELLING YOUR SCREENPLAY: Actor Turned Writer/Director Cal Barnes Talks About His Latest Feature, The Astrid Experience". Script Magazine (Interview). Interviewed by Ashley Scott. Retrieved 2020-01-12.
- Moyer, Catie. Interview with 'The Astrid Experience' Triple Threat Cal Barnes. Screen Fervor. Retrieved May 16th, 2020
- That, John. John That - Hippy Girl (Official Music Video). Retrieved 2020-01-12 – via YouTube.
- Barnes, Cal. "The Selling Your Screenplay Podcast: SYS Podcast Episode 290: Writer/Director Cal Barnes Talks About Launching His Career And How He Eventually Got To His Latest Feature, The Astrid Experience on Apple Podcasts". Apple Podcasts (Interview). Interviewed by Ashley Scott Meyers. Retrieved 2020-01-12.
- The Astrid Experience, Production List. Production List. Retrieved March 1st, 2020
- Barnes, Cal. "The Sauna interviews". radiopublic.com (Interview). Interviewed by Nica Flores. Retrieved 2020-01-12.
- The Astrid Experience, Post-Production. The Movie Insider. Retrieved March 9th, 2020
- The Astrid Experience on Wefunder. WeFunder. Retrieved April 30th, 2020.
- The Astrid Experience - Official Teaser Trailer. Noblehooks Official. Retrieved February 10th, 2019,
- The Astrid Experience Trailer. The Astrid Experience Official Film Site. Retrieved February 27th, 2020.
This article "The Astrid Experience" is from Wikipedia. The list of its authors can be seen in its historical and/or the page Edithistory:The Astrid Experience. Articles copied from Draft Namespace on Wikipedia could be seen on the Draft Namespace of Wikipedia and not main one.