The Joy of Science
The Joy of Science is a popular video and audio course series, consisting of 60 lectures, each 30 minutes long, presented by Dr. Robert Hazen of the George Mason University and the Carnegie Institution of Washington. The course, first introduced in 2001, is part of The Great Courses (TGC) series, and is produced and distributed by The Teaching Company (TTC), located in Chantilly, Virginia in the United States.
Background[edit | edit source]
As the Clarence B. Robinson Professor at George Mason University, Robert Hazen developed innovative courses to promote scientific literacy in both scientists and non-scientists. In a collaboration with physicist James Trefil, he wrote three undergraduate textbooks: The Sciences: An Integrated Approach (1993), The Physical Sciences: An Integrated Approach (1995), and Physics Matters: An Introduction to Conceptual Physics (2004). Hazen used these as the basis for a 60-lecture video and audio course called The Joy of Science.
Description[edit | edit source]
|01||The Nature of Science||21||Introduction to Chemistry||41||The Atmospheric Cycle|
|02||The Scientific Method||22||The Chemistry of Carbon||42||The Rock Cycle|
|03||The Ordered Universe||23||States of Matter and Changes of State||43||What Is Life?|
|04||Celestrial and Terrestrial Mechanics||24||Phase Transformations and Chemical Reactions||44||Strategies of Life|
|05||Newton's Laws of Motion||25||Properties of Materials||45||Life's Molecular Building Blocks|
|06||Universal Gravitation||26||Semiconductors and Modern Microelectronics||46||Proteins|
|07||The Nature of Energy||27||Isotopes and Radioactivity||47||Cells–The Chemical Factories of Life|
|08||The First Law of Thermodynamics||28||Nuclear Fission and Fusion Reactions||48||Gregor Mendel, Founder of Genetics|
|09||The Second Law of Thermodynamics||29||Astronomy||49||The Discovery of DNA|
|10||Entropy||30||The Life Cycle of Stars||50||The Genetic Code|
|11||Magnetism and Static Electricity||31||Edwin Hubble and the Discovery of Galaxies||51||Reading the Genetic Code|
|12||Electricity||32||The Big Bang||52||Genetic Engineering|
|13||Electromagnetism||33||The Ultimate Structure of Matter||53||Cancer and Other Genetic Diseases|
|14||The Electromagnetic Spectrum, Part I||34||The Nebular Hypothesis||54||The Chemical Evolution of Life|
|15||The Electromagnetic Spectrum, Part II||35||The Solar System||55||Biological Evolution – A Unifying Theme of Biology|
|16||Relativity||36||The Earth as a Planet||56||The Fact of Evolution – The Fossil Record|
|17||Atoms||37||The Dynamic Earth||57||Charles Darwin and the Theory of Natural Selection|
|18||The Bohr Atom||38||The Plate Tectonics Revolution||58||Ecosystems and the Law of Unintended Consequences|
|19||The Quantum World||39||Earthquakes, Volcanoes, and Plate Motions Today||59||The Ozone Hole, Acid Rain, and the Greenhouse Effect|
|20||The Periodic Table of Elements||40||Earth Cycles–Water||60||Science, the Endless Frontier|
See also[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- Staff. "Robert Hazen - Microbes/Mind Adviser". Microbes-Mind.net. Retrieved 9 May 2018.
- Staff (21 July 2014). "Evolution of Life, Life In Outer Space". KKFI. Retrieved 9 May 2018.
- Staff (2012). "NSTA 2012 National Conference on Science Education" (PDF). National Science Teachers Association. p. 203. Retrieved 9 May 2018.
- Staff (2017). "Information Technology - Introduction". International Organization for Standardization. Retrieved 9 May 2018.
- Kelly, Kate (2006). That's not in my science book a compilation of little-known facts. Lanham: Taylor Trade Publishing. p. ix. ISBN 9781461636014.
- Millman, Martine; Millman, Gregory (2008). Homeschooling : a family's journey. Penguin. ISBN 9781440632310.
- Ceceri, Kathy (3 November 2010). "Integrated Science at Home: The Joy of Science". Integrated Science at Home. Retrieved 12 May 2018.
- Hemley, R. J. (25 March 2010). "Presentation of the Distinguished Public Service Medal of the Mineralogical Society of America for 2009". American Mineralogist. 95 (4): 666–666. Bibcode:2010AmMin..95..666H. doi:10.2138/am.2010.557.
- Trefil, James; Hazen, Robert M. (1994). The sciences : an integrated approach (A preliminary ed.). New York: Wiley. ISBN 978-0471303008.
- Hazen, Robert M.; Trefil, James (1996). The Physical science : an integrated aproach. New York: Wiley. ISBN 9780471002499.
- Trefil, James; Hazen, Robert M. (2004). Physics matter : an introduction to conceptual physics. J. Wiley. ISBN 9780471150589.
- "Robert Hazen". Robinson Professors. George Mason University. 8 October 2010. Retrieved 13 May 2018.
Further reading[edit | edit source]
- Akerlof, Karen (3 March 2008). "Professor Searches for the Genesis of Biological Systems in the Earth's Depths". The Mason Gazette. George Mason University. Archived from the original on 14 September 2017. Retrieved 9 May 2018.
- Bradley, D. C. (23 December 2014). "Mineral evolution and Earth history". American Mineralogist. 100 (1): 4–5. Bibcode:2015AmMin.100....4B. doi:10.2138/am-2015-5101.
- Fry, I. (26 May 2006). "Search for Life's Beginnings". Science. 312 (5777): 1140–1141. doi:10.1126/science.1127301.
- Linda Mathews (31 March 1996). "Adult Education; No Tests and You Can Hit Rewind". The New York Times.
- Kendra Nordin (28 January 2003). "From the college lecture hall to your headphones". The Christian Science Monitor.
[edit | edit source]
- The Joy of Science/GuideBook
- Dr. Robert Hazen (Carnegie Science Center; May 2018)
- Minerals and the Origins of Life (Robert Hazen; NASA; video; 60m; April 2014).
- Art of the Wikipedia Nature Timelines
Others articles of the Topic Astronomy : Betelgeuse, Astronomy, Cosmic web, AT 2018pw, Rigel, Astronomy templates
Others articles of the Topic Biology : Biology, Life sciences, American biologists, Biology stubs, Environment stubs, Life, Branches of biology
Others articles of the Topic Chemistry : List of molecules discovered in the 20th century, Fine electronic structure, Subi Jacob George, Chemistry stubs
Others articles of the Topic Education : Learning by teaching, Schools, Education, Consular & Diplomatic Service University (CDSU), Main Library (Columbus, Ohio), Nigerian academics, Free educational software
Others articles of the Topic Physics : List of molecules discovered in the 20th century, Cosmic web, Fine electronic structure
This article "The Joy of Science" is from Wikipedia. The list of its authors can be seen in its historical and/or its subpage The Joy of Science/edithistory. Articles copied from Draft Namespace on Wikipedia could be seen on the Draft Namespace of Wikipedia and not main one.