The Survivor (2016)
The Survivor is an upcoming short documentary film directed by Danial Afzal. The story is about a boy named Muneeb that survived the 2014 APS Massacre in Peshawar, Pakistan. The film is produced by Shazia Sikandar, Sameer Hamdani, and Kruti Mehta. It was edited by Sameer Hamdani. The Survivor was well received by private audiences, has won three international awards, and has been shortlisted at ten film festivals.
|Directed by||Danial Afzal|
|Produced by||Shazia Sikandar, Sameer Hamdani, Kruti Mehta|
|Starring||Muhammad Muneeb Khan, Momina Khan, Tuba Khan, Tahir Khan, Shagufta Khan, Dr. Mowadat H. Rana|
|Edited by||Sameer Hamdani|
Synopsis[edit | edit source]
The story follows Muhammad Muneeb Khan, who lost his brother, Shaheer, in a tragic incident that occurred in Peshawar, Pakistan on December 16, 2014. The Taliban attacked the Army Public School and killed over 130 children. This film is a fascinating look into the mind of Muneeb, who still suffers from PTSD while attempting to find his purpose. It follows his thoughts, dreams, and inner turmoil and is told as a personal statement to college.
Release[edit | edit source]
The film has yet to be released to the public. The film and all its materials are copyrighted under Arash Visuals, Inc. in Chicago, IL.
Awards[edit | edit source]
|Festival Name||Years Running||Festival Location||Year||Award|
|FiLums Festival||13th Annual||Lahore, Pakistan||2016||Best Concept|
|Impact DOC Awards||14th Annual||La Jolla, California, U.S.||2017||Award of Recognition|
|Chicago South Asian Film Festival||9th Annual||Chicago, IL, U.S.||2017||Best Documentary Short|
Tours[edit | edit source]
|Festival Name||Years Running||Festival Location||Year||Status|
|IWM Short Film Festival||16th Annual||London, England||2017||Official screening|
|Ismailia International Film Festival||19th Annual||Cairo, Egypt||2017||Official screening|
|Uluslarası Çocuk Hakları Film Festival||7th Annual||Bursa, Turkey||2017||Official screening|
|Filmi: Toronto South Asian Film Festival||18th Annual||Toronto, Canada||2017||Official screening|
|International Children's Film Festival||11th Annual||Dhaka, Bangladesh||2018||Official screening|
|Mumbai International Film Festival||15th Annual||Mumbai, India||2018||Official screening|
|Pakistan International Film Festival||1st Annual||Islamabad, Pakistan||2018||Official screening|
Reception[edit | edit source]
- "Afzal has personified the tragedy and enshrined the memory of its victims. He has shone the spotlight on a boy, who would otherwise be consigned to oblivion, and inspired us to help his traumatized generation move forward and accomplish their dreams."  - The Nation: The Survivor: Immortalizing the APS Victims
- "If the blood of the children, the tears of the family, and Muneeb’s dream isn’t enough to move audiences, Afzal’s choice of score will inspire emotion in viewers."  - FHM: Review of The Survivor - A Short Doc
- "Muneeb’s survivor’s guilt is apparent through the narrative as he remembers his emotional state during the massacre. Seeing his friends bleed out and die in front of him has left vivid marks on his mind."  - The News International: Learning to Live Again
- "The topical content of the documentary provides the audience with more than just entertainment value, and emphasizes the critical intersection between education and media."  - Lewis & Clark ALumni: Alumnus’ Documentary Garners International Acclaim
- "Through him, the 26-minute film depicts the trauma of the bereaved families – Muneeb in particular experiences PTSD and survivor’s guilt."  - Funoon London: 'The Survivor' at the Imperial War Museum Short Film Festival 2017, 20-25 November 2017
References[edit | edit source]
- Sher, Mehr (2016-12-07). "The Survivor: Immortalizing the APS victims". The Nation. Retrieved 2018-04-24.
- Mehta, Kruti (2017-06-09). "Review of The Survivor – A short documentary". FHM Pakistan. Retrieved 2018-04-24.
- Mehta, Kruti (2017-9-29). "Learning to live again". www.thenews.com.pk. Retrieved 2018-4-24. Check date values in:
- Brobst, Scout (2017-10-24). "Alumnus' Documentary Garners International Acclaim". Retrieved 2018-4-24. Check date values in:
- Khan, Seema (2017-11-18). "'THE SURVIVOR' AT THE IMPERIAL WAR MUSEUM SHORT FILM FESTIVAL 2017". Retrieved 2018-4-24. Check date values in:
Other Sources[edit | edit source]
|The following Wikipedia contributors may be personally or professionally connected to the subject of this article. Relevant policies and guidelines may include conflict of interest, autobiography, and neutral point of view.|
This article "The Survivor (2016)" is from Wikipedia. The list of its authors can be seen in its historical and/or the page Edithistory:The Survivor (2016). Articles copied from Draft Namespace on Wikipedia could be seen on the Draft Namespace of Wikipedia and not main one.