Tomi Owó in performance
|Birth name||Tomi Owo|
|Born||February 23, 1991|
Lagos, Lagos State, Nigeria
|Associated acts||Femi Leye|
Growing up and education[edit | edit source]
Growing up, she was drawn to various forms of art, expressing this through personal poetry and dance. After graduation, she took music theory classes on the Associated Board of the Royal Schools of Music (ABRSM) platform, to learn the keyboard and deepen her knowledge of music theory.
Career[edit | edit source]
A dynamic songwriter with a distinct vocal tone, Tomi Owó began making music in her childhood as a form of therapy. Born in Lagos, Nigeria, she grew up in a musically inclined family, where her siblings also playing several instruments.
That dream took flight in 2015, when she decided to release one song a month on SoundCloud, while she still worked in corporate capacity as a banker. The project produced five songs – Pieces, Ilẹ, Inside Out, Rora, and Versus. She thereafter made the move to make music full-time, quitting her day job in 2017.
Style and Influences[edit | edit source]
Tomi Owó writes from diverse influences, and her sound is mellow, albeit rich with eclectic vocal dynamics. Her genre is alternative and unafraid, a musical palette splashed with soul, pop, and afro-inspired sounds, which she terms “Alternative Soul.” Her musical influences cover post 90’s Soul, classics and more modern arrangements, ranging from Brooke Fraser, Sade and Asa to Oh Wonder.
Discography[edit | edit source]
Her debut LP is presently in the works, scheduled for a 2018 release.
LP[edit | edit source]
- Untitled (2018)
As lead artist[edit | edit source]
|"Rora ft. Femi Leye"|
References[edit | edit source]
- (2017-10-09). "Tomi Owó". Music In Africa. Retrieved 2018-01-05.
- "Pulse Music: Weekly Discovery: Tomi Owó - Buzz - Pulse" (in (in German)). Pulse.ng. 2016-11-02. Retrieved 2018-01-05.CS1 maint: Unrecognized language (link)
- "Hidden Gems: Tomi Owo - TW Magazine Website". Twmagazine.net. 2017-07-15. Retrieved 2018-01-05.
- "'As an artiste, you have to be lonely sometimes' – Listen to Tomi Owo's chat with Awazi | SoundcityTV Africa". Soundcity.tv. Retrieved 2018-01-05.
- October 24, 2017Jayne Augoye (2017-10-24). "Why 'alternative music' is gaining grounds in Nigeria - Singer Aramide - Premium Times Nigeria". Premiumtimesng.com. Retrieved 2018-01-05.
[edit | edit source]
This article "Tomi Owó" is from Wikipedia. The list of its authors can be seen in its historical and/or the page Edithistory:Tomi Owó. Articles copied from Draft Namespace on Wikipedia could be seen on the Draft Namespace of Wikipedia and not main one.