Untitled Paul Thomas Anderson film
|Untitled Paul Thomas Anderson film|
|Directed by||Paul Thomas Anderson|
|Written by||Paul Thomas Anderson|
|Story by||Paul Thomas Anderson|
Ghoulardi Film Company
The yet-untitled-Paul Thomas Anderson film project is an upcoming American epic psychological drama film written and directed by Paul Thomas Anderson, who will produce the film with Daniel Lupi and JoAnne Sellar based on Anderson's story which he wrote. This film will mark Anderson's return into filmmaking after absence of over four or three years following directing and making 2017's Phantom Thread. Set in the 1970s in San Fernando Valley, which marks Anderson's return to this plot setting after Phantom Thread took place in London, the film focuses on a high school student who is also a successful child actor.
The film is set to be released in 2021 by Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer and Focus Features.
The film is set in the 1970s at San Fernando Valley, and, focuses on the story of a high school student who is also a successful Hollywood child actor.
- To-be-confirmed actor as the main character:
A successful child actor and a high school student in San Fernando Valley.
Development and Writing
On April 16, 2018, around four months after the release of Phantom Thread ,Slash Film website reportedly announced that Anderson was working on whittling down a 600-page script for a mysterious next project. Anderson spoke on The Ringer podcast at Bill Simmons, about the writing process, according to The Playlist.
The director said, “I will probably try to daydream about what I know is in there and wonder how much I can get away with not looking at it and just write from what I know that's in there that is good. Because when you go back into those 600 pages, it's a briar patch isn't it? Right? You start to see something, ‘well this is not a bad idea and maybe I should follow that thread?’ And the next thing you know, two hours later you really pissed the day away, right?”.
Paste Magazine reportedly said "it is unclear if the 600-page screenplay in question back in 2018 refers to the film on which Anderson is expected to begin production soon, or if it's a different project altogether", yet, it was known the film will begin production in 2020.
The Hollywood Reporter confirmed in December 2019 that casting of the film is underway, with the Reporter writing; "to find the lead and the project features a multitude of roles and could be ensemble in nature or have intersecting storylines", potentially, Anderson's latest could weave together disparate stories much like 1999's Magnolia. Few cast details have been confirmed as of yet, but viewers might be able to expect an ensemble cast, as the above reports have speculated.
According to World of Reel, Leonardo DiCaprio was in talks to star in the Anderson production, but reportedly changed course: “Back in April, it was revealed that Oscar-winning actor Leonardo DiCaprio had passed on the film directed by Anderson in favor of working with Guillermo del Toro, which he then passed on to work with Martin Scorsese on his next movie Killers of the Flower Moon”.
Anderson will be producing the film via his own Ghoulardi Film Company. Frequent collaborators JoAnne Sellar and Daniel Lupi will also be producing. Focus Features, the company that distributed Phantom Thread, is set to distribute Anderson's latest. “There is simply no other filmmaker like Paul Thomas Anderson. He is a true original who consistently mesmerizes fans with unparalleled vision and storytelling. We are beyond thrilled to be teaming up once again with Paul, JoAnne and Daniel,” said Peter Kujawski, Chairman of Focus Features.
The film currently has no release date yet, it will be released in 2021, and, will be distributed by Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer and Focus Features.
- Rubin, Rebecca; Rubin, Rebecca (2019-12-18). "Paul Thomas Anderson's Next Film Lands at Focus Features". Variety. Retrieved 2020-07-19.
- "Paul Thomas Anderson Sets 1970s High School Movie for 2020 Production". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 2020-07-19.
- Bradley, Laura. "Paul Thomas Anderson Has a New Film in the Works, and It Will Reportedly Take Us Back to '70s California". Vanity Fair. Retrieved 2020-07-19.
- "Paul Thomas Anderson's Next Film Has a 600-Page Screenplay". /Film. 2018-04-16. Retrieved 2020-07-19.
- "Paul Thomas Anderson Will "Daydream" To Help Turn 600-Page Script Into His Next Film". theplaylist.net. Retrieved 2020-07-19.
- "Everything We Know about Paul Thomas Anderson's New Film So Far". pastemagazine.com. 2020-03-13. Retrieved 2020-07-19.
- "Paul Thomas Anderson's Next Film Will Be Distributed by Focus, Set For Summer 2020 Shoot". World of Reel. Retrieved 2020-07-19.
- "Paul Thomas Anderson's New Movie Lands at Focus Features". pastemagazine.com. 2019-12-18. Retrieved 2020-07-19.
This article "Untitled Paul Thomas Anderson film" is from Wikipedia. The list of its authors can be seen in its historical and/or the page Edithistory:Untitled Paul Thomas Anderson film. Articles copied from Draft Namespace on Wikipedia could be seen on the Draft Namespace of Wikipedia and not main one.