'Sounds of silence - NGO for Hearing Impaired
Sounds of silence foundation also known as SOS is a Mumbai based Non-Governmental Organisation founded by Mr. Sumit Gandhi in the year 2012. The foundation mainly works towards the development of Deaf and Mute by providing them education and helping them by creating opportunities for them. It is India’s only technology based NGO. It also have centers in Pune and Delhi.
Sounds of Silence was established in the year 2012 by Mr. Sumit Singh Gandhi as a part of the social internship program while completing his PGDM (MBA) form S.P Jain Institute of Management and Research. While travelling in the daily commute van he happened to meet a young 25 years guy, who was deaf and mute. Mr. Sumit who likes to interact with others came up with the idea of writing a text and showing it to him. This led to an engrossed conversation which took place every day.
As a pilot project they started with 10 kids from Pingalwara NGO in Punjab and taught them to communicate via SMS. This exercise led an increase in their IQ from 65 to 90.
Purpose and Activities
The basic principle of the foundation is to provide a sustainable opportunity for the students, in order to help them achieve their goals and live with dignity and equality in the society. The foundation provides a training course to the hearing impaired students in digital marketing program and provides them employment in collaboration with the several small and mid-sized companies. The foundation has trained and provided employment to impaired students.
Mobile phone, laptop and computer are the main source of teaching in the foundation as it provides a great way of expression and helps in communicating with others easily. With the help of old qwerty keypad phones, the students are taught to perform various technological tasks like sending SMS, e-mail etc. The core purpose of the foundation is to make them independent in life and help them grow.
Sounds of Silence carried out an event called 100 Santa’s project, an attempt which involved common people, to distribute and donate gifts and clothes to street kids across the cities as a part of encouraging people to participate and help in building a healthy society.
A Non-Voice Contact Center have been formed by the foundation where they provide employment to the hearing impaired.
Mission and Vision
Promote social and cultural awareness for hearing impaired, development and empowering them with power of expression is the sole mission of the foundation.
A society where deaf people are provided equal opportunity .i.e. Deafness with Equality is the vision of the foundation.
- Registered as ‘Sounds Of Silence Foundation, Powai, Mumbai’
- Registered under the Societies Registration Act 1860
- Registered under the Mumbai social welfare Public trusts Act 1950
- Category Multiple Disabilities
- Registered under section 29
Achievements and Awards
- Digital India Award by Times Network 2016
- President of India Felicitations 2015
- 16th Helen Keller Awards - 2015
- e-NGO South Asia - Winners 2015
- Social Entrepreneur Award 2015
- IAMAI Digital Awards - Best use of Mobiles 2015
- World Education Summit Award 2013
- Special Mention Award at Vodafone & DEF m-Billionth Awards for Mobile Innovation South Asia 2013
- Working to change the way that the millions in India who suffer some form of hearing loss connect, think, and live.” Sumit Singh Gandhi, SPNM 2013, Founder, Sounds of Silence Foundation - HBS Social Enterprise Initiative
- Non-Government Sector Initiative in Education
- DNA India - NGO helps hearing and speech impaired children communicate efficiently
- Times of India Technology - Startups serve special people profitably
This article "'Sounds of silence - NGO for Hearing Impaired" is from Wikipedia. The list of its authors can be seen in its historical and/or the page Edithistory:'Sounds of silence - NGO for Hearing Impaired. Articles copied from Draft Namespace on Wikipedia could be seen on the Draft Namespace of Wikipedia and not main one.