8 (Billie Eilish song)
|Song by Billie Eilish|
|from the album When We All Fall Asleep, Where Do We Go?|
|Released||March 29, 2019|
|When We All Fall Asleep, Where Do We Go? track listing|
"8" is a song by American singer Billie Eilish from her debut studio album When We All Fall Asleep, Where Do We Go?. It was written by Eilish and her brother Finneas O'Connell. The song peaked at number 79 on the US Billboard Hot 100. and number 52 in Canada. It is the only song in the album where Eilish plays the ukulele.
“8” is a song played on a ukulele that manipulates the singer’s voice to make her sound half her age. In the lyrics, Eilish explains about a relationship that has run its course. It started off as a wall of protection for the guy, but now has turned into a solo fight by the girl to keep the relationship alive. The girl tries to maintain the relationship by communicating with him, but he doesn't listen to her. So she decides to end the relationship because he has no gratitude towards her for helping him with a previous emotional disaster. She questions if he is capable of feeling anything. And how he could do the same things he made her promise not to do while they were together.
According to Finneas in an interview with MTV, he states that: "The unique part of that song is that the reason her voice sounds like that is I just sped it up, and when you fast-forward anything, it speeds up that way, right? And then we recorded versions the way she normally sings to sort of balance it out. I guess it was a funny experiment that happened to work."
|Canada (Canadian Hot 100)||52|
|New Zealand (Recorded Music NZ)||83|
|US Billboard Hot 100||79|
|Canada (Music Canada)||Gold||5,000^|
|United States (RIAA)||Gold||500,000|
*sales figures based on certification alone
- "Billboard". Billboard. Billboard. Retrieved 11 March 2020.
- Jenkins, Craig (March 29, 2019). "Billie Eilish Is the Future". Vulture. Retrieved March 11, 2020.
- McDonald, Adam (March 29, 2019). "Billie Eilish – 8 (Lyrics Review and Song Meaning)". Just random things. Retrieved March 11, 2020.
- Roth, Madeline (April 4, 2019). "BILLIE EILISH'S WHEN WE ALL FALL ASLEEP: A COMPLETE BREAKDOWN FROM FINNEAS O'CONNELL". MTV. Retrieved March 26, 2020.
- "Australian-charts.com – Billie Eilish – 8". ARIA Top 50 Singles. Retrieved March 11, 2020.
- "Billie Eilish Chart History (Canadian Hot 100)". Billboard. Retrieved March 11, 2020.
- "Charts.nz – Billie Eilish – 8". Top 40 Singles. Retrieved March 25, 2020.
- "Swedishcharts.com – Billie Eilish – 8". Singles Top 100. Retrieved March 11, 2020.
- "Billie Eilish Chart History (Hot 100)". Billboard. Retrieved March 11. 2020.
- "Canadian single certifications – Billie Eilish – xanny". Music Canada. Retrieved October 19, 2019.
- "American single certifications – Billie Eilish – xanny". Recording Industry Association of America. Retrieved April 3, 2020. If necessary, click Advanced, then click Format, then select Single, then click SEARCH.
This article "8 (Billie Eilish song)" is from Wikipedia. The list of its authors can be seen in its historical and/or the page Edithistory:8 (Billie Eilish song). Articles copied from Draft Namespace on Wikipedia could be seen on the Draft Namespace of Wikipedia and not main one.