Al Edwards II
Albert "Al” Ely Edwards II (born September 1972), is a business entrepreneur, aviator and civic leader. After earning a Pre-medical degree toward a profession in Cardiology, Edwards altered his career path to address acute needs he observed in the New Orleans community where he attended college. With no prior business or construction background, Edwards began acquiring blighted properties and converting them into affordable housing. To date, Edwards provides housing for more than 100 low-income or formerly homeless individuals and families. As a school board member of Fannie C. Williams Elementary Charter School, Edwards created the, "Flight for Excellence" program, as a promotional activity to increase enrollment and promote scholastic interest. To date, the educational enrichment program has provided first flight experiences to over 100 inner city elementary students. Edwards’ civic activities have been documented by the Associated Press and broadcast in other states highlighting his impact within the New Orleans community. In 2017, along with other notable leaders such as Marc Morial, President of the National Urban League, Constable Lambert Boissiere, and former US Attorney, Kenneth Polite, Al Edwards II was recognized by New York based, The Made Man organization, a nonprofit organization that acknowledges notable individuals and their community achievements.
Background[edit | edit source]
Al Edwards II was born in Houston, Texas in 1972 to Al Edwards, Sr. and Lana Kay Cloth Edwards. Edwards graduated from Michael DeBakey High School for Health Professions and received his Bachelor’s degree from Dillard University, a Historically Black College/University (HBCU), in Premedical Biology in 1995. Edwards earned his FAA Pilot's Certificate in 2005 and a Masters of Business Administration from The Freeman School of Business at Tulane University in 2016.
Career[edit | edit source]
Al Edwards II founded Ely Edwards Enterprises, Inc, a real estate holding and asset management company, in 2001 as a solely owned corporation designed to acquire, renovate and manage residential and commercial properties in New Orleans, Louisiana. As of January 2018, the company’s asset value was in excess of $10 million, including more than 50 separate parcels in the Greater New Orleans area. The company's largest focus is to assist with eradicating homelessness in the New Orleans area by providing housing to dozens of previously homeless individuals and families. The company partners with organizations such as Unity of Greater New Orleans, Odyssey House and others to accomplish this mission. Edwards is also President and Qualifying Party of Ely Edwards Construction, LLC; President of Fulton, Johnson, Newman and Pittman Independent Insurance Agency.
In 2013, Edwards established the Ely Edwards Enterprises Scholarship Fund, a financial program that provides scholarships to students based on their performance and demonstration of high interest and concentration in real estate. To date, the fund has awarded approximately $10,000 in scholarships to deserving undergraduate business major students at Dillard University.
References[edit | edit source]
- "Board of Directors". fcwcs.org. Retrieved 2018-09-21.
- "Life's Purpose". 2016-05-16. Retrieved 2018-09-15.
- Al Edwards II (2016-07-17), Flight For Excellence 2015, retrieved 2018-09-15
- Parker, Nancy. "New Orleans businessman lifts students up". Retrieved 2018-09-21.
- "Marc Morial". Wikipedia. 2018-09-05.
- "Lambert Boissiere". Wikipedia. 2018-08-15.
- "Kenneth Allen Polite Jr". Wikipedia. 2018-02-16.
- "The Made Man : Home". The Made Man : Home. Retrieved 2018-09-21.
- Bayne Parker (2018-07-29), The Made Man Initiative - 100 Black Men of Metro New Orleans, retrieved 2018-09-21
- "Al Edwards". Wikipedia. 2018-05-24.
- "DeBakey High School for Health Professions". Wikipedia. 2018-05-20.
- "Dillard University". Wikipedia. 2018-09-10.
- "Tulane University A.B. Freeman School of Business | New Orleans & Houston Business School Campuses". freeman.tulane.edu. Retrieved 2018-09-15.
- "elyedwardsinc". elyedwardsinc. Retrieved 2018-09-15.
- "Unity GNO". unitygno.org. Retrieved 2018-09-15.
- "Home | Odyssey House". www.ohlinc.org. Retrieved 2018-09-15.
- "Flight for excellence | Tulane University". tulane.edu. Retrieved 2018-09-15.
- "elyedwardsinc | FLIGHT FOR EXCELLENCE". elyedwardsinc. Retrieved 2018-09-15.
- Baker, David (2014-12-05). "Dillard students awarded for academic achievement". www.louisianaweekly.com. Retrieved 2018-09-15.
- "elyedwardsinc | ELY EDWARDS SCHOLARS". elyedwardsinc. Retrieved 2018-09-15.
This article "Al Edwards II" is from Simple English Wikipedia. The list of its authors can be seen in its historical and/or its subpage Al Edwards II/edithistory.