Welcome to EverybodyWiki ! Sign in to improve or create : an article, a company page or a bio (yours ?)...
Alain Wijffels, Dr.jur. (Amst.), PhD (Cantab., DLitt (Cantab.) (born in Switzerland 26 October 1954) is a Belgian academic specialising in comparative legal history.
Script error: The function "birth_date_and_age" does not exist. Template loop detected: Template:Birth date and ageTemplate loop detected: Template:Bda
Biography[edit | edit source]
Wijffels studied at universities in Belgium, the Netherlands, France and England. He holds degrees and post-graduate diplomas in law, philosophy, criminology, Roman law, canon law and medieval history. He teaches at the law faculties in Leiden, Leuven and Louvain-la-Neuve and is, as a senior research fellow of the French CNRS, a member of the Centre d’histoire judiciaire at the university of Lille. His main areas of teaching are legal history and comparative law. He has held visiting posts in Belgium (Ghent, Brussels), France (Nantes, Paris-12, Paris-2), Germany (Frankfurt am Main, Mercator Chair of the DFG) and England (Trinity Hall, Cambridge). Appointments have included a research fellowship in Cambridge (Churchill College), a junior lectureship at Amsterdam (UvA), the Francqui Chair in Ghent (2001-2002), the European Chair at the Collège de France (2016-2017), and the Michel Villey Chair at Paris-2 (2018).
He is an associate member of the French-speaking Royal Academy of Belgium, a member of the Royal Commission for the Publication of Old Ordinances of Belgium, and a member of the Royal Dutch Society of Sciences. He was given the title of honorary citizen of San Ginesio (Macerata) for his research on Alberico Gentili.
Publications (selection)[edit | edit source]
- Inkomensderving als geldstraf [Interuniversitaire Reeks Criminologie en Strafwetenschappen, VII] (Antwerpen/Arnhem, Gouda Quint, 1983)
- Qui millies allegatur, Les allégations du droit savant dans les dossiers du Grand Conseil de Malines (causes septentrionales, ca. 1460-1580), [Rechtshistorische Studies, XI] (Leiden, Brill, 1985)
- Alberico Gentili and Thomas Crompton. An Encounter between an Academic Jurist and a Forensic Practitioner [Studia Forensia Historica, I] (Leiden, Ius Deco Publications, 1992)
- Late Sixteenth-Century Lists of Law Books at Merton College [Libri Pertinentes, I] (Cambridge 1992)
- Consilium Facultatis Juridicae Tubingensis. A Legal Opinion on a Case of Maritime Warfare (1593) [Studia Forensia Historica, II] (Leiden, Ius Deco Publications, 1993)
- Case Law in the Making. The Techniques and Methods of Judicial Records and Law Reports. Vol. 1: Essays. Vol. 2: Documents [Comparative Studies in Continental and Anglo-American Legal History 17/1-2] (Berlin, Duncker & Humblot, 1997), editor
- Alberico Gentili Consiliatore. Atti del Convegno Quinta Giornata Gentiliana 19 Settembre 1992 (Milano, Dott. A Giuffrè, 1999), editor
- History in Court. Historical Expertise and Methods in a Forensic Context [Studia Forensia Historica 3] (Leiden, Ius Deco Publications, 2001), editor
- Le Code civil entre ius commune et droit privé européen (Bruxelles, Bruylant, 2005), editor
- Introduction historique au droit. France – Allemagne – Angleterre. (Paris, Presses Universitaires de France [Coll. Thémis – Droit], 2014, 2nd revised edn.)
- Le droit européen a-t-il une histoire? En a-t-il besoin? [Leçons inaugurales du Collège de France 271] (Paris, Fayard, 2017)
References[edit | edit source]
This article "Alain Wijffels" is from Wikipedia. The list of its authors can be seen in its historical and/or its subpage Alain Wijffels/edithistory. Articles copied from Draft Namespace on Wikipedia could be seen on the Draft Namespace of Wikipedia and not main one.