Albany Knickerbocker Rugby Football Club
|Full name||Albany Knickerbocker Rugby Football Club (AKRFC)|
|Ground(s)||Dick Green Field, Lincoln Park|
|League(s)||NERFU Division 3|
The Albany Knickerbockers Rugby Football Club (The Knicks) was established in 1973. After dominating the Upstate New York Rugby Football Union for many years, the Knicks joined the New England Rugby Football Union in 1993, and eventually advanced to Division 1. The Women's side, the Sirens, was founded in 2000. Both clubs compete in the New England Rugby Football Union. The men currently compete in Division 3 and the women currently compete in Division 2.
Honors & Achievements
- 1980 - England: Old Emanuel, Cheshunt, Hastings-Bexhill, Hertford, London Harlequins
- 1981 - Jamaica: Jamaican Defence Force, Jamaican School Boys, Expatriates RFC
- 1982 - The Bahamas: Baillou, Buccaneers RFC.
- 1983 - Bermuda: Bermuda Police, Renegades RFC
- 1984 - Virgin Islands: St. Thomas, British Virgin Islands (Tortola), Virgin Islands Combined Side.
- 1985 - Hawaii: Hawaii Barbarians, Hawaii Harlequins, University of Hawaii RFC
- 1986 - England/Scotland: Darlington Mowden Park (England), Hawick, Portobello, Highland, Greenock RFC
- 1987 - The Bahamas: Freeport.
- 1988 - Mexico (Puerto Vallarta): South Side Irish (Chicago), Frothonians (Los Angeles), Boulder (Colorado)
- 1989 - Ireland: Tullamore, Waterford, Corinthians, Old Belvedere RFC
- 1991 - England/Wales: Old Crossleyans, Slough, Lensbury, Cross Keys (Wales).
- 1994 - Denmark/Sweden: Denmark National VX, Frolunda, Penguins, Stockholm 10’s
- 1995 - Pacific NW: Oregon Sports Union (Portland), Valley Kangaroos, Tacoma Nomads (Washington)
- 1997 - Holland: Nijmegen, Almelo, Amstelveense
- 2013 - Ireland: Dublin, Tipperary, Limerick, Galway
International Clubs Hosted
- England: London Metropolitan Police, London Harlequins, Hertford, Cheshunt, Old Emanuel, Lens- bury, Balliol College, Oxford RFC
- Scotland: Hawick, Grennock, St. Andrews University, Cartha Queens Park (Ladies of the Evening) RFC
- Wales: Cross Keys, Tondu, Cowbridge RFC Ireland: Tullamore RFC
- Holland: Nijmegen RFC
Men: Joe Burke (USA Eagle)
Women: Claudia Braymer (USA Eagle), Shannon Wallace (USA Eagle), Joanne Ward (USA Eagle)
The Women's Club won the USA Rugby Division II National Championship in 2010. Flyhalf JoAnne Kos was named Most Valuable Player. hey have since moved up to play in Division I.
National’s 2004: Monmouth, NJ - 7th place
National’s 2005: Naples, Florida – 6th place
National’s 2006: Raleigh, NC – 2nd place
National’s 2007: Orlando, Florida – 3rd place
National’s 2009: Houston, TX – 3rd place
National’s 2010: Phoenix, AZ - 1st place
Capital District Youth Rugby (CDYR) was founded in 2007 by members of the Knickerbockers and Saratoga Rugby Club.
This article "Albany Knickerbocker Rugby Football Club" is from Wikipedia. The list of its authors can be seen in its historical and/or the page Edithistory:Albany Knickerbocker Rugby Football Club. Articles copied from Draft Namespace on Wikipedia could be seen on the Draft Namespace of Wikipedia and not main one.